1 (edited by john.h.hyde 2021-03-14 01:52 PM)

Topic: SA2015 helmet - no hologram?

Hey all,

Amped to get going, and got everything sorted regarding my safety gear, though one thing is an issue according to the rules.

"Gently peel back the inner padding to find the Type stamp; if it doesn’t have an original, orange-letter, hologram-backed “SA” sticker, you’re boned."

To avoid boning, my helmet sticker does not have a hologram though otherwise looks good. I have date of manufacture and all.
It's a G-Force Racing Gear GF3 Large Full Face helmet and is listed as certified on the Snell page. (3123LRGBK)

Boned?

Pic for reference.
https://i.imgur.com/2EOrCBb.jpeg

2 (edited by john.h.hyde 2021-03-18 09:19 AM)

Re: SA2015 helmet - no hologram?

Update for others searching this question in the future - I've been told by two Lemon vets that this wouldn't pass muster. Not because of the missing hologram (fia) but because this is the only identifying sticker and none others explaining its certification.

If in doubt, see if you can call a local shop/karting place to see if lemon vets exist. Best bet is a place that specializes in selling fire safety gear so you know what tier your kit is at. The reason this has a problem is there's no sfi number anywhere, so what rating is it? No one knows.

Like food in the fridge, if in doubt, throw it out.

Fortunately I needed a new helmet anyway.

I just checked my brand new SA2015 Simpson DR2 helmet I bought on close out in November directly from Simpson.  The sticker looks the same, no hologram.  I think you were given bad information.

I also checked my SA2010 which has over a dozen Lemons races, not hologram either.  Same orange sticker.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

4 (edited by Bricoop 2021-03-18 10:03 AM)

john.h.hyde wrote:

Update for others searching this question in the future - I've been told by two Lemon vets that this wouldn't pass muster. Not because of the missing hologram (fia) but because this is the only identifying sticker and none others explaining its certification.

If in doubt, see if you can call a local shop/karting place to see if lemon vets exist. Best bet is a place that specializes in selling fire safety gear so you know what tier your kit is at. The reason this has a problem is there's no sfi number anywhere, so what rating is it? No one knows.

Like food in the fridge, if in doubt, throw it out.

Fortunately I needed a new helmet anyway.

I'd write the organizers.  Reliability of info from vets is all over the place.  And in the end, its only the organizers opinion which matters. 

The hologram appears to be an FIA certification.  Google image searches look just like your photo.   We are not required to run FIA helmets.  Most SA2015 helmets will pass FIA testing, but it's a big cost that would be passed on to us. Appears to be an issue with the rule, not your helmet.  I haven't found a single SA2015 photo with a hologram.

Additionally, snell and SFI are different organizations with different ratings systems.  SA2015 will get you on a Lemons track.

The SA2015 standard has a flame resistance test procedure, and therefore, a standard.
The Lemons rule does not have a helmet sfi requirement; I'm assuming that's because the helmet standard covers that.

You're good, that's the same sticker everyone's SA2015 helmet has.