Topic: Fire system recertification: reminder and recommendations??

I just noticed the tank re certification date is Jan. 2021, so I bet a lot of you out there need to recertify since its been 2 years since Lemons required it...I guess 2 years is standard....good thing I noticed since Pitt race is coming up.

Next:
I have the SPA Technique system, and living in Massachusetts, their web site says closest dealer is in Connecticut....what a pain
I called them and they said they send it out to some other place in Connecticut, Stuart L. White Co., which looks like a fire extinguisher refilling company

I called the SPA technique company in Indianapolis, and they suggested shipping it to New Jersey Stable Energies

Shipping it both way, plus cost??? Ridiculous

Does anyone know if I could just take the tank to any place in Massachusetts that refills these things, or does it need to go through one of their distributors???

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: Fire system recertification: reminder and recommendations??

I have the same system.  I would think you need to do it through one of the distributors because they have the correct sticker to put over your old sticker with a new certification date.

Mine was local in SoCal so I was able to drop and pick up a few days later.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Correct, the Manufacturer is the one who has the precious Sticker. So it's gotta go to them, or one of their Service partners in order to get that pretty pretty sticker.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Yup....total rip off
Closest to me is in NJ, and they want $130
Plus shipping back and forth, although they said you could save on shipping costs by emptying the bottle in a drain since it is water soluble, food grade, biodegradable stuff
And a new bottle by itself is $250

There are near by places that can fill it with the same stuff much cheaper
AR-AFFF material but they don't have the precious lousy sticker that says FIA

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

I just paid $120 for a refill in SoCal.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I used racing fire systems out of Sandy Oregon.  They were affordable, quick, and don't charge the hasmat shipping fee (which shouldn't be charged by anyone because the USPS doesn't require it).

7 (edited by RSB 2021-03-23 10:02 AM)

We have the same system and live in CT. We have been using the bottle since 2014 (for chump). Went through the same process, the only option is to use stable energies in NJ.

Total cost was $180, including tax and shipping both ways ($20 each way).

The rules seem to be constantly changing. 2 years ago, some one at ups said the bottle wasn't hazardous because the pressure was below a certain value (I think 181psi) and the contents were not hazardous. Now, any type of extinguisher seems to be classified as hazardous.

We just budget for recertifying every 2 years, just like the seat harnesses.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but according to every site I've seen, once you're past the service date you're SOL...

https://discoveryparts.com/fire-bottle- … tify-.html