Topic: Roll Cage - Ouch!

So have a 1993 Camero we're planning on running - I'm seeing a heap of precut/bent roll cages for the F body.  Pricing is kinda wide open.  We'll likely be over 3200lbs so will need the 1 3/4".  Am I correctly seeing $650 to $750 + shipping for a 1 3/4 DOM pre bent cage?  Most of the Lemons cages are the smaller diameter and NOT DOM.  Any help or thoughts will be appreciated.   I've got a certified welder that will handle the install.

Re: Roll Cage - Ouch!

I would say 650-750 is a great deal, especially since it sounds like there has been a recent steep price increase on DOM with limited availability

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Well I went with Rhodes...it's on order!  Thank you!

4 (edited by SpaceFrank 2021-03-22 12:31 PM)

No offense intended to your welder, but make sure they understand the Lemons cage rules and review the How Not To Fail Tech document. There are way too many examples of otherwise good cage kits being put together in ways that flunked tech inspection. It's real hard to fix some of this stuff on Friday night before the race.

ratroaster wrote:

If they have not made the cage yet (since it is today) ABSOLUTELY CALL THEM!

I cannot stress enough that a Rhodes kit can and has passed tech but most of them will not.  You have to make sure the cage they are shipping is designed for the interior removed.  Even then, you are going to have a huge challenge fitting the seat if any of you guys are moderately tall without adding a gurney bar.

6 (edited by ratroaster 2021-03-22 01:36 PM)

GAAAHH!!  Well I called and...NO ANSWER!!  UGH.  I emailed.  We'll see what they say - hope this isn't Lemons mistake #1 of 3,238.

BTW yes I'm 6'...

I'm cursing now.

7 (edited by AT-JeffT 2021-03-22 01:38 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
ratroaster wrote:

If they have not made the cage yet (since it is today) ABSOLUTELY CALL THEM!

I cannot stress enough that a Rhodes kit can and has passed tech but most of them will not.  You have to make sure the cage they are shipping is designed for the interior removed.  Even then, you are going to have a huge challenge fitting the seat if any of you guys are moderately tall without adding a gurney bar.

+1 to this.  Would not recommend a Rhodes kit.  The cage was very small, the bends don't match the A pillars or B pillars and not all the correct parts were included.

SpaceFrank wrote:

No offense intended to your welder, but make sure they understand the Lemons cage rules and review the How Not To Fail Tech document. There are way too many examples of otherwise good cage kits being put together in ways that flunked tech inspection. It's real hard to fix some of this stuff on Friday night before the race.

Will do.  Thank you!

9 (edited by ratroaster 2021-03-23 08:08 AM)

I have cancelled my order with Rhodes.  They don't answer the phone!  Will look for another manufacturer.  Looking for someone in Colorado to handle the cage build.

ratroaster wrote:

So have a 1993 Camero we're planning on running - I'm seeing a heap of precut/bent roll cages for the F body.  Pricing is kinda wide open.  We'll likely be over 3200lbs so will need the 1 3/4".  Am I correctly seeing $650 to $750 + shipping for a 1 3/4 DOM pre bent cage?  Most of the Lemons cages are the smaller diameter and NOT DOM.  Any help or thoughts will be appreciated.   I've got a certified welder that will handle the install.

We run a Gen III f-body (88 Formula). We used 1.75 DOM. It cost about $3800 back in 2015. DO NOT skimp on the cage, Our driver hit the entrance to pit road at maybe 75 and destroyed the car....he was fine and the cage is intact. We will be using it in the new car. We took the car to a shop with the rules and they did it. You don't want to get to the track and your cage not pass. Also you should be able to get that car under 3k. There is a ton of weight you can cut out. I suggest getting the grinder out.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

ratroaster wrote:

I have cancelled my order with Rhodes.  They don't answer the phone!  Will look for another manufacturer.  Looking for someone in Colorado to handle the cage build.

Roll Cage Components.  Jim will most likely have the car already in his database.  If you want, place you order first then call him or just call him...then place you order.  Either way, his primary "failing" is poor communication because he is basically a two man shop and damned good at roll cages but not really sales/marketting/etc.  Whatever ship date estimate he gives you, follow up on an plan a 2-week contigency in there.

That said, he is the only pre-bent cage vendor even John Pagel grudgingly says he will reccomend.

If you all are tall, I suggest a custom cage. Your head with helmet has to be at least 2" away from any part of the cage. We are all about 6'1" we have the cage up to the roof and the seat is still lower than I'd like. (Gen III F-body)

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Since you're in Colorado you might post to the Colorado Lemons Mafia Facebook page.  There may be someone local that can help you out.  Pretty active community.

14 (edited by harnishclan 2021-03-27 06:21 AM)

Hanksville Hot Rods is in CO and makes incredible cages, owner is a tech inspector for NASA. Super good guy and I have bought two cages from him, very tight to the car and fit is perfection.

http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse because 90’s hot hatches rule.