Topic: Extending wheelbase?

I've got an abandoned Fiat 850 Spyder project. The builder (me) was in the process of eating up some of that excessive front overhang by moving the front wheels forward. (Stock WB is 79.9") A stretched wheelbase would also add some much needed stability to help cope with the twin-turbo Subaru motor in the back.

Can I do that?

The motor is a DOHC 2.0 from a Legacy. How reliable are those suckers over a 24-hour run?

Thanks!!

Re: Extending wheelbase?

You can do it all you want.  If you intend to race it, contact John Pagel.  They are understandably VERY wary of structural changes done by us and the wheelbase rule is pretty close to the holy writ as far as "no waivers given".  John is tough but reasonable.  Come to him with a well thought out, easily explained plan prefereably with pictures and drawings.

I know you have probably seen things like the Spirit of Lemons and the Chopper racecar, etc.  All of these had constant communication with Pagel to verify that if their execution matched their plan, they would be allowed to race.

I'm not sure they want you extending the factory wheel base. Are you cutting the frame to do so?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

4 (edited by Bberk 2021-03-28 10:48 AM)

Yes, frame cutting is necessary to stretch the wheelbase. Besides, it's already been hacked. Someone else built a new bolt-on front subframe which had crappy geometry. Rather than take the easy route, which would have been fixing their geometry I was building my own subframe that pushed the wheelbase out 7 inches or so when I got distracted. My experience is more in clean-sheet tube-frame chassis' builds (Think Lotus 7) and found modifying an existing chassis to be somewhat maddening. But after working on some other builds, I think that I'm more ready to plow back in. Alternately, I could drop the drivetrain into a bug, but to do that in a manner that's remotely budget-correct would be a miracle.

You are setting yourself up for failure, or at least a DQ at Tech. please email Pagel

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

I can see the writing on the wall. Was planning to build up a Starlet, but it's no longer available. Will keep looking. Thanks for the feedback!

For the experienced hackers here [I use 'hackers' in the admiring, respectful connotation], thoughts on how a Fiat drivetrain in a bug would be viewed, please?

Don't give up so easily. Stretched wheelbases have been done and accepted before

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/amv-prod-cad-assets/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/02-Winners-at-Vodden-the-Hell-Are-We-Doing-24-Hours-of-LeMons-626x426.jpg?resize=768:*

Spank wrote:

Don't give up so easily. Stretched wheelbases have been done and accepted before

This is why I urged him to formulate plan he can explain and contact Pagel.  I kinda want to see it done, but with out a pre-blessing of the plan, a rookie team will get roasted.

We'll see. I don't want to be one of those guys who talks but doesn't walk. If/when I get serious about this build, at least now I know my first steps to take.