Topic: Fire suppression system without bottle

Hello all,
Does anyone know of a source for a fire suppression system that does not include the bottle?  I'd like to be able to install the system well ahead of time, but buy the bottle much closer to race day since it is only good for a limited time.
Am I correct in assuming that such a system would have no certification, ie the bottle is the part that is certified to meet whatever spec?

Re: Fire suppression system without bottle

I looked into that before.  Most of the dealers that can sell you a kit can also sell you the piece parts to install it separately.  You will however pay more for the piece parts and later bottle than if you purchased it all at once.  If you knew the size of the tubing your system uses, you could just run the tubing ahead of time, then add the nozzles, bottle and pull handles later.  Pegasus has tubing by the foot for $4-$7.

The installation does not take long at all.  I would be more worried about availability of a system close to race time.

They bottle is the only thing with the certification sticker, but they are meant to be installed as a 'system'.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

3 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-03-25 02:42 PM)

Rb is right. 
It took us two hours to install. But
We had to wait 2 weeks to get it shipped to us.

Wait until you are getting close to finishing the car, but dont wait til the last minute before the race.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

As Bob said, two people can install it in a couple of hours. I did our latest Beetle myself in a couple of evenings after work, a couple of hours between getting home and dark each evening. I recommend Discovery Parts in Georgia, quick shipping and $400 with free shipping. It arrived in less than a week - might be longer to you if you're further away than Alabama. They have a discount code of "Thank-You10" that should get you an additional 10% off, so $360 delivered. I think the refill/recert on our first bottle was about $120, shipping included, done at Discovery for the quick turnaround and good price.

The bottle is only good for a limited amount of time? Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing a cert date on our bottle.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

The bottle is only good for a limited amount of time? Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing a cert date on our bottle.

There is a date. You can send it back for re-cert..or possible have your local Fire Dept check it.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

There is a date. You can send it back for re-cert..or possible have your local Fire Dept check it.

Thanks for the info! I’ll take a second look at it when I get home.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i