Topic: Do you "theme it up" when you're going through Tech / BS...?

Sebring will be my first attempt at being a team captain and the first time we have done a theme.

Do you keep the silly theme stuff apart from the more serious Tech and BS judging...?  If so, when do you fit it in..?

Gittin' in & out of a racin' car with a kilt on is a bit cumbersome... LOL

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

Re: Do you "theme it up" when you're going through Tech / BS...?

Traditionally, the BS inspection is where you go all-out with your theme stuff. That's your one-on-one time with the people who end up deciding who wins the trophies at the end. Making a good impression at the inspections on Friday can be the difference between starting at the front of the field of contenders or having to work your way up towards the front after starting from the back. Once the race is in full swing and the track is hot, the officials are very often quite busy with the nuts and bolts of the day. Plus they can get less and less patient as their exposure to the elements and to whiners beats them into yearning for some quite isolation with their stash of edibles.

Thanks Spank.

Doesn't the BS inspection follow immediately after the Tech inspection though...? That's my quandry.

Off-Kilter Racing

They are right next to each other.  The tech inspector may be wearing a kilt too.  Don't sweat it, just bring everything/everyone you need for both.  If you have a minor fail in tech, you can still BS, then just fix the tech stuff.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Dudefladge wrote:

Sebring will be my first attempt at being a team captain and the first time we have done a theme.

Do you keep the silly theme stuff apart from the more serious Tech and BS judging...?  If so, when do you fit it in..?

Gittin' in & out of a racin' car with a kilt on is a bit cumbersome... LOL

.... which you'll likely be doing in tech when you are asked to bail out like you're on fire.

Better hope the cameras aren't rolling -

That's what I was thinking... Do you need to be in full race suit for the bail out test?  I thought you did...

Off-Kilter Racing

Dudefladge wrote:

That's what I was thinking... Do you need to be in full race suit for the bail out test?  I thought you did...

They check your driving gear at a separate location, you do not need to wear it to tech.  I have never seen a bail out test in a dozen races, but I could see them making you try if your cage is questionable.  I could also see them asking you to put a helmet on if they think your cage is too low or you might hit your head.

Usually we toss our driving gear in the back of the car and then take it to gear check after Tech / BS.

Speaking as a guy who actually wears a kilt through tech and BS, it'll be fine.  I've been asked to demonstrate the ability to get out in a hurry, but not been asked to do a proper emergency exit in a very long time.  Typically, showing that the belts, nets, door or whatever can be quickly cleared for the exit is enough.

Now, speaking as an occasional judge who wears a kilt all weekend, you'll get no theme credit in BS from me unless you wear that kilt the entire weekend.  Well, I suppose you should put on a race suit at some point, but otherwise...

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

I've had John and Jeff separately have me do the emergency bail out routine. It's been a while though.  Now that someone has brought it up, wouldn't be surprised to see it reappear.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

solman244 wrote:

..., you'll get no theme credit in BS from me unless you wear that kilt the entire weekend.

I figured the theme credit for the kilts would be more that we wear them the right way (au naturel...) LOL

Off-Kilter Racing

No. but we run a Gen III f-body and that is theme enough.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Dudefladge wrote:
solman244 wrote:

..., you'll get no theme credit in BS from me unless you wear that kilt the entire weekend.

I figured the theme credit for the kilts would be more that we wear them the right way (au naturel...) LOL

Some people *cough Spank* spend incredible amounts of time obsessing over themes.  They stay in character all weekend AND bring an incredibly poor (awesome) choice of car.  If you are shooting for IOE with your Valiant, own your theme 100% of the time, keep the car on track steadily turning laps, and stay out of trouble and you got a good shot.

I didn't realize the theme (or lack thereof) had that much to do with IoE. I thought that was much more to do with just the car's crappiness.

I can see how a good theme puts you in better standing overall with the judges though. Good point.

We won IoE a couple years ago at Barber in a similar car (64 Valiant with a Slant 6).  No theme to speak of, but we ran all weekend with no clutch... LOL

I'm not "in it to win it" or anything. I'm just having a blast with it and don't want to be a toolbag at tech (or anywhere else).

Off-Kilter Racing

Dudefladge wrote:

I didn't realize the theme (or lack thereof) had that much to do with IoE. I thought that was much more to do with just the car's crappiness.

I can see how a good theme puts you in better standing overall with the judges though. Good point.

We won IoE a couple years ago at Barber in a similar car (64 Valiant with a Slant 6).  No theme to speak of, but we ran all weekend with no clutch... LOL

I'm not "in it to win it" or anything. I'm just having a blast with it and don't want to be a toolbag at tech (or anywhere else).

You are correct that if the cars are basically "identical" in their IoE chances the judges are more swayed by more laps...in theory.  That said, a theme can't hurt (says the team that still has not themed their '47 Plymouth afte more than half dozen races).

Mr.Yuck wrote:

No. but we run a Gen III f-body and that is theme enough.

Narrator Voice: "It Wasn't"

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

rb92673 wrote:
Dudefladge wrote:
solman244 wrote:

Some people *cough Spank* spend incredible amounts of time obsessing over themes.  They stay in character all weekend AND bring an incredibly poor (awesome) choice of car.  If you are shooting for IOE with your Valiant, own your theme 100% of the time, keep the car on track steadily turning laps, and stay out of trouble and you got a good shot.

But make sure the troglodyte judges know WHAT your theme is. They're......very specialized in their tastes.....

"Uncultured Swine" was the term one of my team mates used.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:

But make sure the troglodyte judges know WHAT your theme is. They're......very specialized in their tastes.....

They said the perfect theme is the one that exactly one person gets. They forgot to mention that the one person should probably be a BS judge.

SpaceFrank wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

They said the perfect theme is the one that exactly one person gets. They forgot to mention that the one person should probably be a BS judge.

Yes so a very narrow selection of internet car memes and ......... Puns......

I guess we're screwed then... LOL

I'm gonna theme it up anywho...

Off-Kilter Racing

OnkelUdo wrote:
Dudefladge wrote:

You are correct that if the cars are basically "identical" in their IoE chances the judges are more swayed by more laps...in theory.  That said, a theme can't hurt (says the team that still has not themed their '47 Plymouth afte more than half dozen races).

I guess I was mistaken: I thought a Buick-engined '47 Plymouth was a self-evident theme.

SpaceFrank wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I have a fond memory of the "Angry Birds" themed car at Charlotte Motor Speedway.  Phil and company did not get it all.  It was a really well done theme but must have lacked the cold war era political commentary that Phil really yearned for.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

I think Phil selectively "doesn't get things"

Yea, we theme it up most races, but they were absolutely clueless about our Minions theme back in the day...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Well,... we will at least try the theme thing this first time anyway. It's part of the fun. Gott do it at least once, right?

Off-Kilter Racing

Dudefladge wrote:

Well,... we will at least try the theme thing this first time anyway. It's part of the fun. Gott do it at least once, right?

Or every time because it is fun (exception for our cars that are their own theme).  Saturn and Dustbuster got a new theme every race for more than a dozen races.  It is great fun.