Topic: Moonroof with sliding shield/shade

Our car has a glass moonroof.  We don't want to ride with arm restraints.

If the glass top is externally COVERED with "sturdy non breakable materials" such as aluminum or steel, will this pass tech? 
MUST the glass panel be removed?  Would be nice to keep the car roof water tight without resorting to all manners of silicone caulk, RTV, flex seal or some miracle rubber.  Car lives in cold, inhospitable climate when not racing in the winter months.

It also has a sliding interior shade/shield.  Does that provide any benefit in terms of tech requirements?

Re: Moonroof with sliding shield/shade

Very specific question with contingencies. The blanket answer is obviously "No, you must remove the glass and cover it with metal" if you want to run without arm restraints. . But if you want to argue your specifics, you'll need to contact Pagel directly from HQ

3 (edited by fleming95 2021-04-03 03:20 PM)

I'd imagine that a mesh on the inside of the car covering the closed moonroof would do the trick, or even atop the cage, height-allowing.

- but the rules do say that moonroofs need to be replaced with a 'sturdy material'.  Probably 'cause the glass would go away quick in a rollover so we can't take credit for it for safety. 

Let us know what you hear back from the Lemons crew -

our 1st car (RIP) was an 84 Trans Am w/ t-tops. We used some sheet metal and a wheel to make a skin. We used sealer and rivets, never leaked. The new car (88 Formula) has an after market sunroof that will receive the same treatment. Really not that hard.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

If you really don’t want to close it up with a sheet of metal, does your car have a version with a metal sunroof panel instead? a lot of M-Bs have both metal and glass roofs available on the same platform. Could just install one of those instead...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

alloriginaltone wrote:

We don't want to ride with arm restraints.

I originally thought that, too, but now having had the chance to race a convertible (MGB) and an open car (Mini Moke), I'd rate arm restraints as somewhere between "no big deal" and "easy to forget they're even there." Before going to too much effort to avoid them, you may want to give them a try.

alloriginaltone wrote:

It also has a sliding interior shade/shield.  Does that provide any benefit in terms of tech requirements?

My guess is no, the shade/shield is not likely to be sufficiently robust to make a difference for tech purposes.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
alloriginaltone wrote:

We don't want to ride with arm restraints.

I originally thought that, too, but now having had the chance to race a convertible (MGB) and an open car (Mini Moke), I'd rate arm restraints as somewhere between "no big deal" and "easy to forget they're even there." Before going to too much effort to avoid them, you may want to give them a try.

alloriginaltone wrote:

My guess is no, the shade/shield is not likely to be sufficiently robust to make a difference for tech purposes.

Agreed.

I was not looking forward to them with the Rapier but very quickly I found the arm restraints to be no big deal.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Replacing the glass and sunroof mechanism will save 40-50lbs (+/-, depending on the car), all up high. It was an easy weight-loss for our two Beetles that had sunroofs. I bought 2'x4' sheet aluminum and a cheap hand-riveter from Lowe's. I cut the aluminum about 1" outside the opening all the way around, filed the edge smooth, drilled the rivet holes in the car roof, about 2" apart all the way around, cleaned up, and put a good bead of silicone sealant all the way around.  Then I drilled/riveted the aluminum from inside the car using the roof holes, starting in the middle - drill/rivet in front, then back; move one hole, front then back; move over to the other side of the starting rivet; front, then back, etc. Can easily be done in an evening, and hasn't leaked in 18 months for the first car, not in about 6 months for the "newer" second car. Should be easier than doing the rounded roof of the Beetle, too.  It'll "boom" quite noticeably when you close the door, but never oil-cans while racing. A couple of layers of duct tape helps prevent interior condensation if in a humid climate like Alabama.