Topic: Estimated Attendance?

Does anyone have a ballpark for how many people normally attend a rally? I'd like to get an idea of how many warm bodies will be kicking off the rust belt ramble because... well "reasons"...

50? 200? 69?

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

2 (edited by squirrel 2021-04-23 06:55 AM)

Re: Estimated Attendance?

25-50 cars is a typical range. Roughly twice as many people as that (some have one person, some have more than two)

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

We've got ~20 for TX, but the Rust Belt Ramble already has more than 20 signed up. Would guess that one will be pretty heavily attended.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I plan on doing the Rust belt Ramble with my buddy and his '91 mustang LX hatch.  He's got a 351W long block on a stand that he's gonna build and put in it, but that's for a future rally.  This time around we're taking it while it's still only got half as many cylinders as spark plugs.  I'll get registered ASAP since it looks like there'll be a lot of people there.

Also, I didn't want to start a new topic on this, so I'll ask here:  Is anyone else thinking of just getting a room at the Inn at St john's, where the Concours d'Lemons is being held?  I know the Holiday Inn Express was suggested because it's a little cheaper, but I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks so I could just go ahead and park in the show lot (maybe), and then just walk out in the morning, hang out, and check out of our room whenever the hell I want to as long as it's before ten o'clock.

I don't know how that one is being run, but on the monterrey car week rallies, with the concours at the end, we don't park the rally cars in the main show lot, we have a special side lot that's worse that we get parked on. so we don't contaminate the proper Lemons show worthy cars, I guess.

But in general, they don't give a shit where you stay at night, that's totally up to you. Being close to the same bar that most of the rally folks are going to, is usually a fun plan.

I was going to plan on staying at St. Johns as well to boost the Lemons block, but was waiting for an official hotels list announcement for the RBR.

The parking lot around St Johns seems massive, but if they segregate the rally cars, then we should make it a point to give them a hard time about it big_smile

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

I think the main reason the rally cars park in a special area, is so we can have the awards presentation....which may or may not happen? depending on the rules for groups gathering at the time? But it seems to me that this is way to early to be worrying about silly things like room reservations, since you have to actually get your piece of crap to the destination, before you need a room

Reserve in advance, cancel to get a refund, then show up anyways. Chances are they will not have re-sold your room in the 48 hours or so leading up to your reservation. Evil, I know, but I used to work in the hotel industry so no love lost from me.

9 (edited by Jimnayzum 2021-05-25 04:42 AM)

I'm forcing two of my three grown-assed kids (the third had to go and pop-out a kid last Nov.) to join me on this escapade. Our first Lemons Rally and I am so stoked! Looking forward to meeting some of the Lemons staff and all of you other crazy participants. See you in Chi-town.

Jim T, Chief Check Writer @Granny Motorsports (@granny_motorsports on the instagram machine)

'77 Ford Granada (Have you driven a Ford lately?)
28th place-'22 Rust Belt Ramble

I might participate in the Rust Belt Ramble also. I live in the burbs of the Motor City, about 35 minutes from the Inn at St. John's.  Depends on whether or not I can get the old hooptie in the driveway running properly.  (Has a transmission issue where it gets stuck in Park--something wrong with the parking pawl. That and the oil pan has rusted out.  And other rusty malfunctions.)  I have two other cars I could use, but it's more fun to rally something held together with duct tape and zip ties.  Since my youngest graduated college two weeks ago and got a job (the nerve!), I might have to run this one solo.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

Hotels are here. More power to you if you can get a room at the Inn at St. John's. It'll make life easier for you on the Saturday morning. If you're in town early before the start, Jeff and I are also going to a day baseball game in Gary. Come find us:

https://24hoursoflemons.com/lemons-rall … mble-2021/

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I did my room reservations last week, and there was already no availability at the inn at St John's for Friday night.  So I went ahead and grabbed a room at the Holiday.  Doing my rally entry today.  Looks like the Concours d'Lemons is actually gonna take place on one of the course fairways, if the video from the last show is any indicator.  Should be a good time.  Can't wait to see everyone.