Topic: Fuel cell: appreciable safety improvement?

Hello,

I am working on my long mothballed (actually no mothballs, just mud dauber cities. They built an Ikea in there) 1972 Merc Comet again.

I've had two kids since I last touched it, and safety is paramount where it can be improved. Racing is always going to have its risks.

The fuel tank shares some commonality with the exploding Pinto of the sane time period,  I believe. Would an FIA fuel cell be a legitimate improvement in safety in the event of a hard wreck?

Thanks!

Simplicate and add lightness.

Re: Fuel cell: appreciable safety improvement?

Much of the answer will come from the quality of the installation, quality of the components used, and specific location in the car.  All that being done well then a fuel cell should be better than a 70s car.  The newer it gets the less the safety delta.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Just be prepared to spend an equal amount of dollars on everything else related to the cell as you would the cell itself.  IIRC, the vomet/maverick fuel tank is right behind the back bumper with the filler in the rear panel.  Suboptimal so I'd tend to agree that a properly installed fuel cell would be un upgrade.  Let's say you go with a 20 gal fuel cell.  Keep in mind that there will be 120+ lbs of fuel in there plus the weight of the cell itself.  That's a lot of weight to be flying around in a crash so make sure it is solidly secured to something solid.
You can search here for sample pics of good installs.  Assuming you put it in the trunk and you seal the trunk off from the passenger compartment you don't really need an FIA cell.  You usually can buy the equivalent cell from the same manufacturer but just without the cert.  Note that some non-LeMons orgs want a certified cell but I'm thinking a vomet really isn't a candidate for those anyway.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Second the "double the cost of the fuel cell itself on related items".  But it's worth it IMO

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

IF....you do it right, yes it will be safer.

People race Pintos and Mustang 2s in other series, might be worth it to check into what others have done and give the rules a few more reads.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!