Topic: With SFI 3.2A/5 suits do you go commando, Nomex, or other.

My team has SFI 3.2A/5 two-layer Nomex driving suits. Cannot decide about what to wear, or not wear, underneath.

What do you do?  Full Nomex Underwear, partial Nomex Underwear, go commando, or other?

Thanks

2 (edited by DefectiveLemon 2021-05-03 08:05 AM)

Re: With SFI 3.2A/5 suits do you go commando, Nomex, or other.

Whatever you wear under your suit, just make sure it's not synthetic.
Wool, 100% cotton, and modal are fine, but if you are engulfed in fire for more than a few seconds, the synthetic fibers will melt into your skin and make the treatment and healing process much more complicated.  (SFI 3.2A/5 is designed to offer thermal protection so that after 20 seconds you'll only have second degree burns.)

FYI: Simpson sells CarbonX boxers ($100 for two pairs) if you want a safer alternative to a satin leopard-print bikini.

CarbonX (and variants) is the poop.  It's more comfortable than my everyday clothes.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

In the summer (in CA.) it's 100% cotton shorts and a CoolShirt.
Winter means Nomex (long johns and shirt)

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I have an FIA 2013 suit.

If its a cold day I wear my full Nomex underwear

Moderate day I'll wear just the Nomex pants and a cotton T shirt

Hot day its Cotton briefs and a cool vest.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!