Topic: Pitt race: the REAL I got screwed team

I think Pitt race was a great success!....great racing (In general), great turn out, very memorable, Mental did a great job as Master of Ceremony with the Awards Ceremony outside....nice to have that return....

Not to take away from their glory....The PunisherGP #401 Porsche 928 certainly deserved the I Got Screwed Award....(not sure that came out right...you know what I mean....!)

But, seems the I Got Screwed Award should have also gone to the Interceptor Motorsports team:

On Thursday night, we saw the beautiful 1976 Plymouth Grand Fury (Bluesmobile #21) rolling in from the Interceptor Motorsports team...they unloaded the monster late in the evening, and were setting up in the parking lot....and then in the darkness, suddenly started packing up and left.....
What I heard when I asked around, was that after they unloaded, someone they had been working with called them and said that they were exposed to COVID (or tested positive, or were sick with it?), so the whole team may have been exposed to COVID....so instead of risking passing on the infection to our Lemons community, they packed up and left, late in the night in the dark.....

I'm not sure about the details, but what a descent bunch of people...I am certainly impressed....honored to be part of this Lemons community..
Very impressive, noble, kind, respectful gesture....

And I heard that the Lemons office will let them forward their race fees to a future event....! So nice of them....

They probably should have been awarded the "I Got Screwed" award also....but obviously, they were not there for the awards!!!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: Pitt race: the REAL I got screwed team

Similar thing happened at Sears Point earlier this month.  Team member got a positive result notification on Friday night.  Fortunately Dr Mary was there for Jay to consult with as this situation hadn't occurred before.  Teams involved were advised they needed to leave with their entry forwarded to another day. (there was 2 teams in the garage, one outside).  They packed up and left before the race started on Saturday.  Surrounding teams in the garages were given the choice to go or stay.  One team had been vaccinated and stayed, one on the other side left.  Entire paddock was advised of the situation and given the choice of leaving with refund/entry carried over.  As we were one of the teams that was nearby, Jay strongly advised us that he better not see us without a mask due to our proximity.  Luck being what it is, a second test on Saturday revealed the first test was a false positive.  3 of the 4 teams that left returned on Saturday night and ran on Sunday. 

For something that they hadn't had to deal with before I thought they handled it appropriately.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3 (edited by BigBird 2021-04-27 05:05 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

Similar thing happened at Sears Point earlier this month.  Team member got a positive result notification on Friday night.  Fortunately Dr Mary was there for Jay to consult with as this situation hadn't occurred before.  Teams involved were advised they needed to leave with their entry forwarded to another day. (there was 2 teams in the garage, one outside).  They packed up and left before the race started on Saturday.  Surrounding teams in the garages were given the choice to go or stay.  One team had been vaccinated and stayed, one on the other side left.  Entire paddock was advised of the situation and given the choice of leaving with refund/entry carried over.  As we were one of the teams that was nearby, Jay strongly advised us that he better not see us without a mask due to our proximity.  Luck being what it is, a second test on Saturday revealed the first test was a false positive.  3 of the 4 teams that left returned on Saturday night and ran on Sunday. 

For something that they hadn't had to deal with before I thought they handled it appropriately.

I (we) were that team...One of the two teams in the garage..(Ugly Brown Camero) I found out the bad news Saturday morning when I showed up (I live close enough to sleep in my own bed).By the time I got there,all our shit was already being packed into the cars and trailers,and we all left the track.Middle of the day Saturday,we got word from Jay/Dr. Mary that we could come back and run on Sunday,if we wished to....2 out of our 3 teams/cars chose to return.The 3rd car was already back in Sacramento,the rental trailer had already been returned,and all the gas we had bought for the weekend had been donated to Ranger Road,as they are doing great things for our veterans who want to race.Our fees for the weekend have been transferred to ThunderHill,so we'll have another chance soon enough......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Thank you for the approbations, though I certainly don't deserve the them. I would have stayed and run the weekend solo (I had the hong-kong-flooey way back in the beginning) but the manner in which we learned of our exposure and the subsequent implosion of our team, I was more angry than anything else.

Managing my guys is the ultimate expression of "herding cats." My own idiosyncrasies aside, Interceptor Motorsports is populated by such colorful characters such as "Angry Old Bastard", "Crippling Anxiety" and "I Have a Newborn" The fact we accomplish anything at all is a miracle unto itself.

Just as we got to the track Thursday night, Crippling Anxiety got a *text message* from his "Unemployed Deadbeat Brother", whom had just received a positive test. Apparently he'd been unwell the week before, but despite it being April 2021, could only track-down COVID testing with a 4-day turnaround and neglected to mention it to anyone, even though he'd spent significant time around us. As I was unloading the car from the trailer, Crippling Anxiety went into a full Rain Man-esque "hot water burn baby" meltdown, announcing he intended to lock himself in a hotel room all weekend.  I called Angry Old Bastard and I Have a Newborn, both of whom bailed instantly and with them, my truck/trailer full of equipment.

After about an hour at the track, I drove the Fury back onto the trailer and hauled the 6 hours back home, ballistically angry, in dead silence, plotting on how I was going to dispose of Unemployed Deadbeat Brother.

I'd completely written off the weekend until the week after when I learned my friends like Rob Keller and Scott McMichael (and others I'm sure) had reached out to Lemons about our plight. The one thing you're dead-right about is the Lemons community is the best. They certainly saved one deadbeat's life...

We'll most likely be at NJMP next month. I just started a new job, which complicates things, but in the end, none of us got sick nor had a positive test. So, it always could have been worse smile

-Pat

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!