Topic: 1993 Mercedes 600 SEC

Scored a minor wrecked (pass airbag deployed) 93 Mercedes S class 600 SEC W140 V12. Got it running by removing the 17 year old gas and cleaning pumps and filter. It must have been wrecked in 04 based on docs in car. Power everything, $150k car in 93 with 83k miles. So looking for anyone that has run something this complex in Lemons. We had great time with MonacEAUX ie spark, compression and gas tech. This Benz has some serious crap on it. If a MB tech is on here and is a 9 pin diagnostic expert, you get a free ride. It runs about 30 minutes and fuel relays get hot, car dies. Have new pumps/relays/filters coming. It is the electronics and disengagng stuff we need help with. Planning on BG race in September if we can keep it simple. Thanks Phish

Cool theme, but classified.....

2 (edited by cheseroo 2021-05-10 09:24 PM)

Re: 1993 Mercedes 600 SEC

You want to reach out to Rob (username type44 on here).  I believe that beast they used to race was one of those.  Also, the only car "claimed" by Lemons was a similar beast.  It really wasn't claimed as much as forced on Jay.  Foreign diplomat convicted of drug smuggling owned it and it had a radioactive title.  https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1536 … heres-why/

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Used to? The fact that Lemons doesn’t want to run anywhere near my place... doesn’t mean the Benz isn’t going to be on a CA track this fall. Just sayin, Rich.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Anyway, our car is a 5.0 V8, not the 12 like yours. The only degree of reduced complexity is that the V8 only has 1 throttle body where the 12 has dual ones, electronically controlled. My advice for a successful first couple of races? Don’t simplify. Let the beast keep all the electronic stuff. The brakes are really good (get Porterfields and RBF 600, though) and they work even better when the ABS is still on board.

There’s a wire jumper trick in the diag plug that just knocks the ASR out, we did that years ago. Unplugging on of the two coolant sensors makes the coolant fans run whenever the key is on.

All the stuff like the door lock vacuum pump and anything in the doors, can just get unplugged and pulled. Assuming the wiring harnesses are in decent shape, not losing insulation, the Bosch electronics in these cars are pretty hardy. We don’t tend to do deep diag at the track.

Had more than 12 races in the beast, roasted the original rad and engine at 210,000 miles at Buttonwillow 2013 in the 105 degree heat. It ran to the end of Sunday with some pinging at WOT... turned out the heads were toast, second engine ran through 8 races until SOMEBODY knocked the belt off and didn’t notice the temps. Third motor made it three more races before another belt incident, this time it got hot enough to cook bacon on the intake manifold two hours later. We also ran it hard enough to get metal fatigue in the upper control arms, but that was 12 races in.  All running stock electronics. There is an intermittent cough at 5000+ rpm that I suspect has to do with the EGR, can’t figure out what since the ECU, harness, engine, transmission have all been swapped over time, yet it still happens at times. When it doesn’t cough, I let it have it all the way to the 6500 limiter in 2nd... sounds good through the Flowmaster and pulls hard. DOHC 4 valves tend to do that without dramatics

5 (edited by Spyphish 2021-05-12 06:19 AM)

This puppy at 83k miles should be good as compression test well within spec. Car has Club stickers showing it hung out at Newport Beach, Ca. Had a right front event which fired the passenger side airbag and broke windshield. Front cap missing so we are grafting another unit on it. . We started stripping interior yesterday. Has an illegal radar detector buried behind the carpet trunk walls. Still trying to get the rear power head rest out. Amazing everything works. Plan on keeping the power windows ie center console and dash cluster. Type44, is there a 16 pin conector for a computer to be used to clear codes? I see a 9 pin with a screw cap on each side of engine room. My email is stephenontheriver@yahoo.com and cell is 337-499-44 three five. We won the IOE in NOLA as rookie team EAUX so my next race is free. Call or email as a teammate with Benz experience would certainly help. Trip would be on us. Thanks Stephen

PS wiring harness looks great and we are not against bringing "CLEVERLY HILLBILLY" to you for checkout. Chassis shop in June for cage

Just found the 38 pin connector. We have the blinking light box to see what codes we can clear. Making progress. Phish

Very good! I’ll be In touch in the next few days. The fault codes that early setup spits out are usually misleading... I’ve got some stories about that. Keeping the power windows? Mine had 3 bad regulators, so out they came

Thanks for the call. Yep all 4 windows go up and down so we can leave it outside around back. Out of indor space for now. Keeping wipers and defrost as well (we hope). Shooting for BG in September. Phish

I generally like to have door bars that extend out inside the door so I gut the doors but keep the windows.  For storage I slide the windows back into the track and then make a stick to hold the window up.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)