1 (edited by Camper Van Someren 2021-05-29 02:14 AM)

Topic: OK to use bolts and washers with "clip" harness?

My car used to have a bolt-in style harness like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41BJ0KsfNCL._AC_SX355_.jpg

and I just got a harness with clip-in ends and eye bolts like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81rOwipqHuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am wondering if I can use the original mount locations (bolts with nuts and washers) running through the clip ends as if they were closed bolt-in ends. It is not feasible to install the included eye bolts, and even if I could, I think it wouldn't be as safe. I don't see anything against this in the rules, I just don't want any unpleasant surprises at tech since I'm not using the factory-supplied hardware. I already placed safety wires as described in the rules, and all hardware is grade-8.

Thanks for help!

Re: OK to use bolts and washers with "clip" harness?

The bolt vs. clip attachment points are designed to act as a system. I would take your old bolt-in ends and move them onto the new harnesses well before making a janky system to bolt the clip-ins to the floor.

3 (edited by Camper Van Someren 2021-05-29 08:10 AM)

The problem is that at least on the lap belts, the new clip ends are sewn in to the harness. I am stuck with the clip-ons. For the shoulder and anti-sub belts I could swap to the old bolt ends and then use the 3-bar adjusters to secure them on.

I guess if the consensus is that it's safest to use clip-ons with eye bolts, I can do a combination. I would transfer the bolt-ons onto the shoulder and anti-sub belts, and then drill new lap-belt mounts with 2.5" washers into the floor using eye bolts.

Well, one person isn't a consensus, but the combination setup sounds safer than your first option to me. Email Pagel for professional assistance, I haven't been on the track in nearly five years (stupid money, work, and time).

If it were me, I would do what you suggest in the second post.

That guy

You should absolutely, positively not bolt through the clip ends.

Thanks all. The more I think about it I understand your concerns. The clip ends will only work if the force is in the same plane as the end plate. If the washers were holding the plate at a different angle then it will be weaker, since it only has structure on one side (and a spring gate on the other).

I will put eye bolts in the floor for the lap belts, and switch the other ends over to bolt plates.

8 (edited by DirtyDuc 2021-05-29 11:41 PM)

I prefer a clip end attached to the eye bolt for the crotch belt(s) too. I'm not a pro, but it seems bester to do it that way. You should be confident that the safety wire/cotter pin is intact. This might require removing the seat on a regular basis.

That guy

9 (edited by chaase 2021-06-08 11:39 AM)

Do not use clip ends like bolt ins. These setups are designed to work a specific way. Clip ends are perfectly safe to use just install the eyelets in the same place you had the bolts installed.

EDIT: and don't forget your cotter pins for the clips

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner