Re: $250 Ready-to-race radio kit - Now with GoPro connections!

The TRRS cable in your kit is male to male, shouldn't it be male to female?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Limonaid wrote:

The TRRS cable in your kit is male to male, shouldn't it be male to female?

Yep, you are correct. Looks like the product in the listing got switched. I'll update it with a M/F instead of M/M. Thanks.

Thanks for putting together this list.  My wife bought most of the parts on the amazon list for me for Christmas!  I'm doing a bunch of reading/learning to try and get these bad boys working! One question I have:

I have an IMSA helmet kit already, that I've used while racing with another team.  I have the PTT and radios on the amazon list.  Can I use a 3.5mm to IMSA adapter to get it to work with my current helmet kit?  I tried to post a link but I don't have enough posts, so it won't allow me.

Thanks again!

SuperTouring wrote:

Thanks for putting together this list.  My wife bought most of the parts on the amazon list for me for Christmas!  I'm doing a bunch of reading/learning to try and get these bad boys working! One question I have:

I have an IMSA helmet kit already, that I've used while racing with another team.  I have the PTT and radios on the amazon list.  Can I use a 3.5mm to IMSA adapter to get it to work with my current helmet kit?  I tried to post a link but I don't have enough posts, so it won't allow me.

Thanks again!

I couldn't say for sure since I haven't used one myself, but in all likelihood it'll work.

Are you talking about something like this? https://store.windingroad.com/raceceiver-adapter-cables

Yes exactly.  I would need the 3.5 mm male (they list as stilo) to IMSA female cable. Maybe I'll order one up and test it out!

One hurdle I can't figure out.  The radios work on their own.  I have audio IN my headset, but using the PTT on my headset does not send audio OUT. I'm going to do some googling, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

SuperTouring wrote:

Yes exactly.  I would need the 3.5 mm male (they list as stilo) to IMSA female cable. Maybe I'll order one up and test it out!

One hurdle I can't figure out.  The radios work on their own.  I have audio IN my headset, but using the PTT on my headset does not send audio OUT. I'm going to do some googling, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Not 100% sure what you mean.. which PTT button are you using? I can't recall, but I believe if you don't have the whole thing connected it may not function correctly. There's also, again, I believe, a little adapter that comes with one of the cables that you'll likely need to use. I believe it flips the various connections to work in some cases while others don't need it.

Ok, so I connected the headset to the radio.  There is a button on the headset, which is the "PTT" that I'm referring to.  There's also one on the cord with a button, volume, and a switch that with 2 settings "PTT and VOX".  Neither the button on the headset, nor the button on the cord work to communicate. BUT if I push the button on the radio, it does work.

Could be some seriously simple user error here, but I'm a total radio newb.

SuperTouring wrote:

Ok, so I connected the headset to the radio.  There is a button on the headset, which is the "PTT" that I'm referring to.  There's also one on the cord with a button, volume, and a switch that with 2 settings "PTT and VOX".  Neither the button on the headset, nor the button on the cord work to communicate. BUT if I push the button on the radio, it does work.

Couple things here. I'm 99% sure that if your IMSA kit has another PTT on the helmet, then it's interfering with the rest of the stuff. The problem with mixing and matching is that the various "standards" are all wired a little differently. So a TRRS IMSA is not the same as a TRRS iPhone plug, which is not the same a TRRS Peltor plug. That's why I put this kit together: I actually have and use all these parts and know they work together.

You say there's PTT, VOX and volume on a cord, but nothing from the kit should have that except the square PTT button on it's own. I'd need to see exactly what you're working with to understand where the disconnect is.

There should be:

• Helmet - mic, speakers

• Extension cable

• PTT Cable / radio adapter

The only volume should be on the radio and the only PTT should be the square one on the radio plug.

aaron.vogel wrote:
SuperTouring wrote:

Couple things here. I'm 99% sure that if your IMSA kit has another PTT on the helmet, then it's interfering with the rest of the stuff. The problem with mixing and matching is that the various "standards" are all wired a little differently. So a TRRS IMSA is not the same as a TRRS iPhone plug, which is not the same a TRRS Peltor plug. That's why I put this kit together: I actually have and use all these parts and know they work together.

You say there's PTT, VOX and volume on a cord, but nothing from the kit should have that except the square PTT button on it's own. I'd need to see exactly what you're working with to understand where the disconnect is.

There should be:

• Helmet - mic, speakers

• Extension cable

The only volume should be on the radio and the only PTT should be the square one on the radio plug.

I see what you're saying, and I think that I'm probably using the wrong terminology which is confusing this situation. 

What I was referring to was the crew's headset (for the pits), pushing the button on the headset and trying to talk doesn't work. You can't hear anything on the other radio.  I emailed the company and told them the issue, so we'll see if they have a solution for me.

As for the car:  I bought a 3.5mm to IMSA cable, so I'll test that when it gets here. For now I don't know if the CAR side of the radios works at all... But the only thing different from my setup and yours is the helmet kit is IMSA.  So if this converter works, great.  If not, I'll probably have to buy the helmet kit you have and swap it out.

SuperTouring wrote:
aaron.vogel wrote:
SuperTouring wrote:

There should be:

• Helmet - mic, speakers

• Extension cable

I see what you're saying, and I think that I'm probably using the wrong terminology which is confusing this situation. 

What I was referring to was the crew's headset (for the pits), pushing the button on the headset and trying to talk doesn't work. You can't hear anything on the other radio.  I emailed the company and told them the issue, so we'll see if they have a solution for me.

As for the car:  I bought a 3.5mm to IMSA cable, so I'll test that when it gets here. For now I don't know if the CAR side of the radios works at all... But the only thing different from my setup and yours is the helmet kit is IMSA.  So if this converter works, great.  If not, I'll probably have to buy the helmet kit you have and swap it out.

Ooooooooh, I gotcha now: the crew headset. Yeah, that should pretty much be plug-and-play. Do make sure you've got the radio extension and the PTT button extension in the right places... I do believe it matters.

aaron.vogel wrote:
SuperTouring wrote:
aaron.vogel wrote:

There should be:

• Helmet - mic, speakers

• Extension cable

Ooooooooh, I gotcha now: the crew headset. Yeah, that should pretty much be plug-and-play. Do make sure you've got the radio extension and the PTT button extension in the right places... I do believe it matters.

Thanks for your help. I got the 3.5mm to IMSA adapter cable and IT WORKS!  The pit headset was not working due to user error, user was an idiot. I figured that out now. I'm thrilled that I have working radios that didn't cost a ton. Haven't tested it in the car yet because it doesn't have an engine, but I should be good to go for testing on track in the spring time!

SuperTouring wrote:
aaron.vogel wrote:
SuperTouring wrote:

Thanks for your help. I got the 3.5mm to IMSA adapter cable and IT WORKS!  The pit headset was not working due to user error, user was an idiot. I figured that out now. I'm thrilled that I have working radios that didn't cost a ton. Haven't tested it in the car yet because it doesn't have an engine, but I should be good to go for testing on track in the spring time!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/bd/f0/75bdf06df3fd6ddd9d3311d8cb2be029.jpg

That's awesome. Which adapter specifically did you get just so I know what is known to work if people ask me down the line?

I found it on ebay.  It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped to find this adapter in the length (and for the price) I wanted.  These were for sale elsewhere but many were over $50! Not the best way to do this, but myself and many of my friends have helmets set up for IMSA so it was worth while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-IMSA-Style … 2115031841

SuperTouring wrote:

I found it on ebay.  It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped to find this adapter in the length (and for the price) I wanted.  These were for sale elsewhere but many were over $50! Not the best way to do this, but myself and many of my friends have helmets set up for IMSA so it was worth while.

I'm sure you're not the only one with IMSA setup helmets who wants a more reasonable cost for a new kit. Thanks for sharing that.

Hey, so I wanted to ask everyone on this topic who may have purchased a kit from my Amazon list:

Are you using the helmet kits in the list or something else?
If you're using the helmet kit, do you wish there was an earbud option that was plug and play with the kits listed?
If so, would you prefer a pre-made kit or just another list of parts that require some soldering and heat shrink to put together?

I ask these questions because my dad recently asked me for an earbud based system. His hearing is going and he had a hard time at the last race hearing our comms even with the speakers right there next to his ear. SO, I made him one. It definitely took a bit of doing, but I sourced all the components from Amazon for about $45-50 each helmet including earbuds (not cheap, I know). And it took a bit of figuring out to get the wiring right. But, it's worth it to have him be able to actually hear our comms again.

That said, I could A) make the components list available with some basic instructions or B) go ahead and just make some and sell them direct if folks want. Or both I suppose...

Let me know what you'd be into.

The qsportpeak helmet kit did not work well at all. I think it was broken.

I went with a set of Sony earbuds I had lying around: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX15AP-B … 00JG2WRUO/

They work well enough.

Question: have you tried this radio setup at Thunderhill? Can you communicate with the driver when they are at the far end of the track?

Limonaid wrote:

The qsportpeak helmet kit did not work well at all. I think it was broken.

I went with a set of Sony earbuds I had lying around: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX15AP-B … 00JG2WRUO/

They work well enough.

Question: have you tried this radio setup at Thunderhill? Can you communicate with the driver when they are at the far end of the track?

Ah! Sorry to hear that about the helmet kit you got.

Yes, plugging headphones with mics directly into the adapter does I suppose work. That is what they're designed for after all.

I guess in my head I wanted a system with a permanently installed mic at the very least.

As for Thunderhill. If you're doing the full 5 mile you will have issues going from one side to the other because of the hill in the middle. I've been playing around with a portable repeater for this exact reason. Even at Sonoma there's radio "shadows" where hills will block radio reception. In general you need to have line-of-sight from radio to radio to get good reception.

aaron.vogel wrote:
SuperTouring wrote:

I'm sure you're not the only one with IMSA setup helmets who wants a more reasonable cost for a new kit. Thanks for sharing that.

Just wanted to report back.  I tested the radios at a track day on Friday and they worked flawlessly! Very happy with them, and that I didn't spend $800+ on brand name stuff.  I mounted the giant antenna in the back seat, and my buddy spoke to me from the parking lot, which is even farther from where we pit at the race.  I didn't have any issues hearing him at all, nor him hearing me. Thanks again!

SuperTouring wrote:
aaron.vogel wrote:
SuperTouring wrote:

Just wanted to report back.  I tested the radios at a track day on Friday and they worked flawlessly! Very happy with them, and that I didn't spend $800+ on brand name stuff.  I mounted the giant antenna in the back seat, and my buddy spoke to me from the parking lot, which is even farther from where we pit at the race.  I didn't have any issues hearing him at all, nor him hearing me. Thanks again!

That's awesome! Glad to hear everything is working as expected. SO glad to help you save the $.

Thanks so much for reporting back on your experience.

Limonaid wrote:

The qsportpeak helmet kit did not work ...

I bought another one, and it also did not work, but I find that any smartphone earbuds w/mic will work.

It seems that the TRRS cable is expecting a 3.5mm CTIA compatible earbud/mic setup, L/R/Ground/Mic, and therefore any current cell phone earbud/mic will work.

Does the qsportpeak headsetup have the same CTIA connector or is it wired differently?

Limonaid wrote:
Limonaid wrote:

The qsportpeak helmet kit did not work ...

I bought another one, and it also did not work, but I find that any smartphone earbuds w/mic will work.

It seems that the TRRS cable is expecting a 3.5mm CTIA compatible earbud/mic setup, L/R/Ground/Mic, and therefore any current cell phone earbud/mic will work.

Does the qsportpeak headsetup have the same CTIA connector or is it wired differently?

Yes! There should be a short adapter cable that converts from one TRRS standard to the other. I forget if it comes with the radio harness or the helmet kit. I think it’s with the PTT harness. Use that and the helmet kits should work.

aaron.vogel wrote:

Yes! There should be a short adapter cable that converts from one TRRS standard to the other. I forget if it comes with the radio harness or the helmet kit. I think it’s with the PTT harness. Use that and the helmet kits should work.

Ok. Without the adapter, the PTT cable supports CTIA:

Tip        Left Audio Out

Ring 1 Right Audio Out

Ring 2  Ground

Sleeve  Microphone Input

Do you have any idea what pinout is supported when using the adapter cable?

Limonaid wrote:
aaron.vogel wrote:

Ok. Without the adapter, the PTT cable supports CTIA:

Ring 1 Right Audio Out

Ring 2  Ground

Sleeve  Microphone Input

Do you have any idea what pinout is supported when using the adapter cable?

I would expect the the adapter changes it to the only other real option which is OMTP. CTIA is the more common one, which is probably why most headsets work with it. I don't know specifically it's OMTP, but that'd be my guess.

From the listing the headset says iPhone compatible, and I see in the PTT listing it shows iPhone headsets AND the short adapter cable. So I would surmise the PTT is OMTP and the helmet headset is CTIA, so you WILL need the short adapter cable to match the too.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll go review the original post and make sure it's clear the adapter cable is necessary.

I've talked with BTECH and confirmed the following:

The PTT cable supports CTIA.

The adapter cable that comes with the PTT cable, mine is labeled "BTECH KPG-22 to Headset Adapter", takes OMTP as an input and converts it to CTIA so that the PTT cable will work with an OMTP headset.

The QSPORTPEAK helmet headset supports OMTP, so you must use the adapter cable with the PTT cable to make the QSPORTPEAK headset work.

Most cell phone earbuds support CTIA and will therefore work with the PTT cable directly, without the adapter cable.

CTIA
Ring 1   Right Audio Out
Ring 2   Ground
Sleeve  Microphone Input

OMTP
Tip           Left Audio Out
Ring 1     Right Audio Out
Ring 2     Microphone Input
Sleeve   Ground

Limonaid wrote:

I've talked with BTECH and confirmed the following:

The PTT cable supports CTIA.

The adapter cable that comes with the PTT cable, mine is labeled "BTECH KPG-22 to Headset Adapter", takes OMTP as an input and converts it to CTIA so that the PTT cable will work with an OMTP headset.

The QSPORTPEAK helmet headset supports OMTP, so you must use the adapter cable with the PTT cable to make the QSPORTPEAK headset work.

Most cell phone earbuds support CTIA and will therefore work with the PTT cable directly, without the adapter cable.

CTIA
Ring 1   Right Audio Out
Ring 2   Ground
Sleeve  Microphone Input

OMTP
Tip           Left Audio Out
Ring 1     Right Audio Out
Ring 2     Microphone Input
Sleeve   Ground

Thanks for confirming! I've added a note in the original post that the adapter cable is necessary.