Topic: Rules Update: Windshield Cleaning

Not really worth a full email blast because we've been mentioning it in driver's meetings, but you can thank the springtime lovebug f***fest in Florida for prompting us to give this a whirl. Now: Don't screw it up for everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/K8XL1Q5.png

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: Rules Update: Windshield Cleaning

As a point of clarification, "cleaning the windshield" also means by extension "swapping the engine and/or transmission," right?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Nice addition to the rules.

I wonder how many teams still have the stock windshield washer systems on their cars and will get flagged for opening the hood to fill it up 8-)

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

I wonder how many teams still have the stock windshield washer systems on their cars and will get flagged for opening the hood to fill it up 8-)

Welcome to "Why this rule existed in the first place," also known as "Arguing To Be Allowed To Do This Kind of Shit Will Get It Taken Out of the Rulebook Before You Can Actually Use It."

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

chaase wrote:

Just point your radiator overflow hose onto the windshield instead of into a reservoir. Doubles as an immensely effective temp gauge.

I suppose you could just run the rad overflow into your washer bottler reservoir to make sure it stays full, but you lose the benefit of the passive "U R OVERHEATING YOU IDIOT" functionality

Spank wrote:

...just run the rad overflow into your washer bottle reservoir...

I did that on my 96 in order to comply with the "functional catch tank" rule, as the car never had one otherwise. The washer is supposed to work by pulling and releasing the spring-loaded wiper rotary-ish switch but the plungers in all of my switch assemblies leak anyway, so there was no additional loss of functionality from repurposing the reservoir.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51234362201_33f693bd8b_o.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

It must've been really bad to necessitate this change.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

It must've been really bad to necessitate this change.

Unless you decided to take the time to use a razor blade and/or scraper during your pit stop at Sebring, it didn't matter.  We attempted to clean those damn love bugs with shop towels and Windex and it made it worse!   

After day one, we used a razor blade with copious amounts of water to remove the aforementioned "love bugs".

I wish we could just afford the tear-offs like the NASCAR boys, but them things ain't cheap!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Where can I find these mythical SCCA and FIA approved fuel jugs?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

000 steel wool works the best. Even takes off the overspray from sloppy Bobs rattle can. Doesn't scratch the glass.

rb92673 wrote:

The Lemons store!  Also any DOT jug is also allowed SO...plain jane 5 gallon jugs you get at tractor supply will work. 

At our first race I just had each member of the team bring there lawn mower jug to the track!!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

The Lemons store!  Also any DOT jug is also allowed SO...plain jane 5 gallon jugs you get at tractor supply will work. 

At our first race I just had each member of the team bring there lawn mower jug to the track!!

It was a trick question. I don’t think you will ever find SCCA or FIA certified fuel jugs.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

It was very nice to be able to wash those bugs off the windshield at Sebring!  Thanks for the change. Much appreciated! Almost 15 hours on track accumulated quite a mess.

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

rb92673 wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

It was a trick question. I don’t think you will ever find SCCA or FIA certified fuel jugs.

DOH!!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!