1 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2021-06-16 07:44 PM)

Topic: Any suggestions on homemade trailer ramps? (resolved)

I've acquired a trailer suitable to haul a (race)car, that needs a bit of work, and: is missing its original ramps.

The original ramps were on tubular hinge pins. I'm trying to avoid the cost of the OEM, and local trailer shops.

I've used plastic car ramps with a dolly before (and this past weekend) but the trailer bed is higher - around 18".

It does have a trailer jack which works.

Has anyone tried a mid-span support with a ramp like a harbor freight, or 2x12s?

Re: Any suggestions on homemade trailer ramps? (resolved)

Depends on your approach angle you need (and break over angle).  For 18" rise I needed 10' for one of our cars so keep that in mind.

Only trailer companies sell myriad of ramps and almost all of them are as cheap or cheaper than what I built if I have to buy the steel today.

2 x 12" is going to need support about every 2' for 2500# car.  Add a center 2" x 2" rib securely glued and screwed to the 2 x 12" can likely get you to 3' but they will bend.

I like the “backing the tow vehicle rear wheels up onto ramps in order to drop the height of the trailer tail” trick. Is handy in some situations.
Have fun.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

OnkelUdo: I found the same. And lumber looks like the new gold rush. I found pretty impressive center supports for two piece aluminum ramps to semi- trailer height, though, at 12T capacity.

zakp73: agreed. At one location I backed a trailer into a pile of modified stone, and loaded it that way. The question of how to unload at the destination is key, but gravity will always help.

I have a line on several commercial options, including aluminum ramps - thanks.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

OnkelUdo: I found the same. And lumber looks like the new gold rush. I found pretty impressive center supports for two piece aluminum ramps to semi- trailer height, though, at 12T capacity.

zakp73: agreed. At one location I backed a trailer into a pile of modified stone, and loaded it that way. The question of how to unload at the destination is key, but gravity will always help.

I have a line on several commercial options, including aluminum ramps - thanks.

For what it’s worth:  I welded up a pair of nice, beefy ramps from angle for my new-to-me but well-used trailer about 9 years ago, lent the rig to an old-timer mentor, and promptly lost them to either the interstate gods or the dirtbags at the auction lot.  The stopgap measure was to nail a pair of old 2x8 forms to some 2x braces at the 1/3 and 2/3 mark, screw a chunk of angle to tie the top end together/mate with the trailer, and cut it all to 6’ for the truck bed.  They were pretty springy, but when the form wood got punky, I popped for Douglas Fir and it’s no-joke 100% fine for the usual 3200# racecar - even loaded a late 90s k3500 a few moths back.  That’s 5 years now.

Ain’t nobody stealing those, nor do I worry when some knucklehead drives off the side of them - but please do share the solution you choose when it all comes together.