Topic: Newbie with questions...

Hey everyone. Ive been interested in trying this for a long time but i have a few questions before diving in...

1- Someday id like to have my own car but for now i think im going to fill out the driver application on the main page. But what im wondering is besides a firesuit and helmet is there anything else i need?

2- Im 32 (be 33 in august), am a decent mechanic, easy to get along with, and am a pretty damn good backroad gravel slinger (if i do say so myself smile ) but have never raced in an actual race before....is this an issue? I also drive truck for a living so stamina behind the wheel isnt an issue.

3- Any other tips/pointers from the seasoned people? Im from michigan so most races id be available for would he MI, OH, IN and possibly KY and IL.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie with questions...

check here. https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewforum.php?id=23

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Answers depend on the team you end up with. Some may ask you to contribute tools, or parts, or more dollars to the race weekend. Some may ask that you have specific gear that matches what they have, some may just say show up with your safety gear and you're good.

Driving experience again depends on the team. Some are totally cool with a complete novice, some are not. There are plenty of teams that enjoy bringing new people into the sport and will work with you to make sure you're ready. I will say that being on track will be nothing like your truck driving (not that I assume you think it is). It's a complete sensory overload the first few times and it will likely wipe you out much much faster. Between the heat inside the car, being stuffed inside fire gear, all the noise, having to constantly check all around you (that part shouldn't be new for you I'm sure), it's just a totally overwhelming experience the first couple times. Not trying to be discouraging at all, just sharing.

One of the best tips that gets handed out often is go spectate a race. I think they're allowing spectators again. But go for the weekend, walk around, meet teams, watch how it all works, watch tech/BS on friday. It's a good way to see how the chaos works and might even help you find a team willing to take you on as an arrive and drive.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

DZG460 wrote:

Hey everyone. Ive been interested in trying this for a long time but i have a few questions before diving in...

1- Someday id like to have my own car but for now i think im going to fill out the driver application on the main page. But what im wondering is besides a firesuit and helmet is there anything else i need?

2- Im 32 (be 33 in august), am a decent mechanic, easy to get along with, and am a pretty damn good backroad gravel slinger (if i do say so myself smile ) but have never raced in an actual race before....is this an issue? I also drive truck for a living so stamina behind the wheel isnt an issue.

3- Any other tips/pointers from the seasoned people? Im from michigan so most races id be available for would he MI, OH, IN and possibly KY and IL.

Thanks in advance!

1- depends on the team. Our team has two sets of team gear since two of our drivers aren't into racing enough to have their own set of gear. This gear is communal in case we take on an arrive and drive and/or if one of the guys can't make it. I wouldn't be surprised if other teams out there have stanky old race gear they'd be up to loan you.

2) No not at all; if you're a good mechanic and easy to get along with you'll fit in great. The third item I would mention is if you can keep a level head and not crash. Very few teams care about lap times but they would be pretty bummed to fill a seat on an arrive and drive and you crashed their car. Half of our team originally has never been on a race track and it worked out great. The first time I was on, I was the only person who had racing experience and it went fine as well, it's pretty common.

3)  I'd recommend going to a couple HPDE's before you jump straight to w2w. Other than that, just have fun!

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Almost no one on my team had track experience and that includes the half dozen drivers that have come and gone...two starting their own teams.  Best way to get started with a team is offer yourself up as crew and helping with build days to an established team near you...so telling us where you are and not just where you are willing to go is helpful.

Best way to just get on the track racing in Lemons is an arrive and drive...you are just renting a seat.  We do that regularly with our C-class cars and it tends to be pretty affordable.  You are still expected, when at the track, to act as a team member helping with end of day wrenching and any repairs needed during racing but until you are at the track and after you leave, no obligations.

If you are able to make it, we are just two weeks away from Gingerman and spectators are allowed.  Database is closed so you can't be crew or driver but I would be more than happy to introduce you around and I do know most of the Midwest teams.

I'll chime in here with my 2 cents.....I started this wild ride in 2011.I started by attending two races at Sonoma as a spectator, read waaayy too many forum posts and signed on with a team as an arrive-n-drive.It was a "true 24" @ ButtonWillow. Long story short,I got one stint in before the car blowed up and the owner trailered it home.I was in it for the weekend,so I just wandered the paddock and offered to help anyone who needed it.Learned a lot that night.Met people,learned who was who,and saw the type of people I wanted to be a part of. Never looked back.Been at it for somewhere around 50 races (so far).

Prior to that day,I had never turned a wheel on a race track.But I had turned thousands of highway miles,so how hard can it be,right?

It is fucking intense, more so than any freeway.The noise,the heat,the rotary engines blowing your eardrums out at speed........The first time I went into a corner and had two cars passing me on both sides,I wondered what I had gotten myself into.It gradually got easier,and now I love the traffic.But it will take a lot out of you,physically,mentally (and financially)

Go to a race,walk around,meet people.You won't regret it........

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

DZG460 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Some thoughts -

1 - other things you may want/need: cool shirt, helmet radio setup, and appropriate neck restraint attachments for your helmet. 

On our team a cool shirt is not required though heavily encouraged.  We have the coolers so the drivers just need shirts.  You can make your own for ultra cheap or buy a shirt for under $200. 

We run radios and I do require each driver to figure out a helmet mic/speaker setup.  This is generally more expensive than anyone would like ($50-100) but a must-have on our team.  Not all teams run radios so YMMV. 

If you have to rely on the team for the neck restraint device you'll need to have the appropriate posts on your helmet (typically ~$50).  I do not believe any of the major brands have overlap here.  You can buy your own neck restraint device but they are generally pretty pricy and require periodic recertification.  Half of our drivers have their own devices and half borrow someone else's.  Just don't wait until the last minute and hope that Amazon will deliver in time for the race. 

2 - I think some teams don't mind absolute motorsport-noobs but I am positive most all would prefer arrive-and-drivers to have some experience.  As the runner of our team I want all the drivers to at least have some experience in a "formal" environment, be it autocross, rallycross, open lapping days, etc.  Again YMMV on this but autocross is cheap, events are plentiful, and at least you'd gain some experience with high-G driving on pavement.  Plus it's fun and all that. 

3 - attitude matters a lot.  A friend of mine was absolutely shocked when I turned him down for chance to drive our car.  He had a ton of driving experience but was a stereotypical hot-head on the track and his first suggestion was adding nerf bars.  Probably obvious but don't be this guy.  Everyone on the team should want everyone else to get time behind the wheel and the car to finish the race unscathed.  A person talking about punting slower cars off the track when they dive bomb every corner is a no-go.  Probably sounds like I'm making this up but it really was part of the conversation.

Max.  Thank you for not bringing that guy.   Sincerely, Everyone Else

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo