Topic: Hello from a new Lemons hopeful!

Hello all! I just arrived home from purchasing a not-so-new, but new-to-me, 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE with 264,000 miles for exactly $500! It has some sort of crazy hole in the exhaust that makes nothing but noise over 1,500 RPM, questionable suspension, no passenger side window, some missing lights, a cracked windshield, and a lot of very strange smells.

I'm hoping to enter into the Sonoma Race in December, so I have 5-ish months to see if I can get this car ready, and by ready, I mean all the safety equipment, some sort of reliability, and the ability to drive over a bump without the whole car pogo-ing down the road.

So... any ideas for a theme?

#22 Team Slowtus Ford Focus

Re: Hello from a new Lemons hopeful!

AXC1 wrote:

Hello all! [blah blah blah]

I congratulate you for having your priorities in order.

I don't believe this has been done before.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3xz2BK4Xo850NXjq8M/giphy.gif

To do it well, the team members who are physically presenting at BS inspections must try to just mouth the words that are coming from their cell phones that are on speaker mode hidden in their shirt pockets (and that the the other team members are actually saying remotely from somewhere else in the paddock). Obviously, a song and dance routine at each black flag is a must.

Spank wrote:
AXC1 wrote:

Hello all! [blah blah blah]

I congratulate you for having your priorities in order.

I don't believe this has been done before.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3xz2BK4Xo850NXjq8M/giphy.gif

To do it well, the team members who are physically presenting at BS inspections must try to just mouth the words that are coming from their cell phones that are on speaker mode hidden in their shirt pockets (and that the the other team members are actually saying remotely from somewhere else in the paddock). Obviously, a song and dance routine at each black flag is a must.

I really like the technical difficulty of pulling off the BS inspection this way. The fact that it requires multiple people and maybe even a rehearsal is amazing.

Fix the exhaust. All the windows except front should be removed. Rebuild the suspension, or at least go get a set of parts store shocks/springs....worry about a theme once you get the car safe and somewhat reliable.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Fix the exhaust. All the windows except front should be removed. Rebuild the suspension, or at least go get a set of parts store shocks/springs....worry about a theme once you get the car safe and somewhat reliable.

Thanks for the input. I do hear what you are saying, but I'm a "walk-and-chew-gum" kind of person, and I think we can handle getting the car ready while thinking about a theme.

With that being said, we also don't plan and turning the car into something like a bed, so we have a little less work to do than others. wink

How about Z-Xstasy

7 (edited by AXC1 2021-07-02 12:18 PM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

How about Z-Xstasy

Lol! That’s not bad at all, but I don’t know if my teammates are ok with getting all touchy-feely.

I had an idea at one point of doing an Adderall theme (Focus, get it?) where the car would be the pill and the whole team would be listening to loud techno music and staring at computer screens.

AXC1 wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

How about Z-Xstasy

Lol! That’s not bad at all, but I don’t know if my teammates are ok with getting all touchy-feely.

I had an idea at one point of doing an Adderall theme (Focus, get it?) where the car would be the pill and the whole team would be listening to loud techno music and staring at computer screens.

that would be good... paint it up like the pill. Need a high dose thou.

9 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-07-02 03:11 PM)

If you want to walk and chew gum, try repairing the car while also building a lemon legal roll cage inside, while ordering new belts, while ordering a fire suppression system, while trying to upgrade the brakes while trying to recruit a team while trying to get said team to pay in advance.

Literally the very last thing that you should be thinking about is the theme.

1. Recruit team mates
2. Make the car reliable
3. Legal roll cage
4.Make the car stop well
5.Everything else in the rules (numbers are hard)
6. Get Cash from the team mates.
7. Recruit two new teammates to replace the two teammates that flaked off.
8. Everything else that could make you fail tech.
9. A theme

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Don't listen to the naysayers...theme is part of the Lemons experience.  Let your freak flag fly!

11 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-07-02 03:14 PM)

I cannot count the number of amazing themes that have failed Tech and never made it onto the race track.

Yes you should have an amazing theme, but it is beyond embarrassing to take your friends to the racetrack, spend their money, and never turn a single lap

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc wrote:

If you want to walk and chew gum, try repairing the car while also building a lemon legal roll cage inside, while ordering new belts, while ordering a fire suppression system, while trying to upgrade the brakes while trying to recruit a team while trying to get said team to pay in advance.

1. Recruit team mates
2. Make the car reliable
3. Legal roll cage
4.Make the car stop well
5.Everything else in the rules (numbers are hard)
6. Get Cash from the team mates.
7. Recruit two new teammates to replace the two teammates that flaked off.
8. Everything else that could make you fail tech.
9. A theme

I get it, there is a lot to do. A little background about me: this isn't my first go at organizing people to go racing (if you think this is complex, trying running a FSAE team... a couple dozen of college kids trying to build a race car from scratch while doing school full time). I'm doing my best to organize this, and I feel confident in the people I have around me. With that being said, I consider a theme to be just as important as getting the car ready, since it helps to determine eligibility, and is a nice fun way to blow off steam.

I'd also like to say that having fun is a priority for me and my team here. If this turns into yet another stressor in my life, I'll find something else to do with my time.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Don't listen to the naysayers...theme is part of the Lemons experience.  Let your freak flag fly!

Thanks! I have a couple of people on the team (including myself) that are willing to shamelessly debase ourselves for a competitive advantage. We'll see how high we can fly that flag lol

bobnowoc wrote:

I cannot count the number of amazing themes that have failed Tech and never made it onto the race track.

Yes you should have an amazing theme, but it is beyond embarrassing to take your friends to the racetrack, spend their money, and never turn a single lap

Luckily almost everyone on my team has already had that experience. Together. And managed to get the car into the competition after working all night.

Cool.  See you in December!

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc wrote:

Cool.  See you in December!

I hope so. We’ll see if it all works out. If it doesn’t, we’ll be at the next one.

AXC1 wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

I get it, there is a lot to do. ... With that being said, I consider a theme to be just as important as getting the car ready, since it helps to determine eligibility, and is a nice fun way to blow off steam.

I'd also like to say that having fun is a priority for me and my team here. If this turns into yet another stressor in my life, I'll find something else to do with my time.

Give this man a trophy already!

People can race reliable cars in any number of other series designed for reliable cars. A series with "Lemons" right in the friggin' name kinda makes it pretty damned clear what this series is supposed to embrace, if ya ask me.

Welcome aboard and keep focusing on what is FUN for YOU!

Spank wrote:
AXC1 wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

I get it, there is a lot to do. ... With that being said, I consider a theme to be just as important as getting the car ready, since it helps to determine eligibility, and is a nice fun way to blow off steam.

People can race reliable cars in any number of other series designed for reliable cars. A series with "Lemons" right in the friggin' name kinda makes it pretty damned clear what this series is supposed to embrace, if ya ask me.

it is no fun fixing/working on a car all weekend that you dropped thousands into. You can have the best theme in the pits but unless you get it on the track that theme is worthless.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Spank wrote:
AXC1 wrote:

it is no fun fixing/working on a car all weekend that you dropped thousands into. You can have the best theme in the pits but unless you get it on the track that theme is worthless.

Disagree. Just because a trophy is Priceless doesn't mean it is Worthless

https://youtu.be/B7KUrzUM0LY?t=459

All depends on what you are there for. You there for the party or you there or the driving?

Go ahead and tell your friends and coworkers a story about how awesome your 2-hour driving stint was and describe in detail how your car ran flawlessly and what it was like passing all kinds of cars and put a camera on them and let's see how they react to your tales of finishing 26th overall and 8th in class. Then I'll tell them a story about the idiots next to you who were wrenching all weekend dressed as Milli Vanilli and who kept stopping every 2 hours for a choreographed lip-synced dance break and then fed the paddock Milli Vanilla ice-cream sandwiches and who were cheered by a deafening crowd when they went up to collect their trophy at the awards ceremony.

I'll say again: there are plenty of series and events that you can go drive your racecar fast in, whether it be in a parking lot or a racetrack and it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. But if you go ahead and show up at your Alphabet Soup Race themed up with a giant blimp on your roof, you'll get a reaction that makes it pretty clear that You-Who-Are-Themed-Up are pretty disillusioned if you think that is the place or that. I think the exact same-but-opposite thing should be true for those who show up at Lemons events with little-to-no theme and overly-prepped "$500 My Ass" cars.

I kinda liken it to seeing a bunch of high schoolers descend on a elementary school playground during their recess and tell the toddlers, who are having a grand old time, how they are playing on the equipment all wrong and then show them how to do it "right" . Start explaining to the kid in the sandbox the principles of structural analysis and why they should build their sand castles THIS way and not THAT way, and to the kid on the swing why jumping off the swing at THIS point of the arc versus THAT part of the arc is BETTER because they will fly further and faster...

If that's what you really want to do with your time-- turn laps for hours on end and see how many seconds you can shave off each lap time and see if you can get them to add up and squeeze out an extra 3/4 of a lap during your stint--  then awesome. But I argue that that really isn't the point. If it were, more of those types of efforts would be celebrated and rewarded by the organizers. Instead, the organizers choose to highlight, focus on, and reward the efforts that take place OFF of the racetrack.

Imagine spending days and weeks and months preparing the most well-prepared, most perfect car you can that you are SURE is going to be awesomely reliable and run like a train all weekend (but you of course ran out of time to theme it so you just paint it flat black and call it something like, oh I dunno, "RickyRacer" And then some IDIOT in a 1968 Olds Toronado with drum brakes all around doesn't slow down as quickly for a turn as one of your drivers thinks he SHOULD have been able to slow down and then cuts in at the apex to take the perfect line but basically pit maneuvers himself, spins out and slams into the concrete barrier at turn 7 in hour 4 of the race and bends the car all up so it can't get back out on track...  Do you sit around the rest of the weekend eating your neighbors' ice cream sandwiches? Do you prepare to tell stories about the AWESOME 4 hours of passing you got to do? Do you tell people your tales of woe about how your super-prepped car track-lapping weekend was "RUNED" by some idiot in a matador outfit who thought it was ok to bring a drum-braked 1960's car to a Lemons event?

Wow, I ran on too long on that...

Point is, don't try to tell the guy who WANTS advice on what costume to wear to a costume party that he should instead worry most about doing enough cardio workouts before hand so he has the stamina to last the entire party.

Couple of good ideas for a theme here - knock yourselves out, and have fun with it. I hope you post a picture of your theme...

///
  If anyone has any questions about why AXC1 is looking for a low stress environment, I'll suggest you check out the rules for the FSAE competitions he referenced.

Seems it's an engineering project management development thing, using the backdrop of a race series.

On cursory review of those rules,  I didn't see any limitations on the timing of rules changes, which seems like it could include the night before the race - or even during the race. If you complain, you can be excluded immediately.

Realistic as that may be as an engineering challenge, or working in any number of other professions, I can appreciate the interest in participating in a lower stress series, where you can focus on the fun.

... I've already had nightmares about those FSAE rules

Spank wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Spank wrote:

All depends on what you are there for. You there for the party or you there or the driving?

Go ahead and tell your friends and coworkers a story about how awesome your 2-hour driving stint was and describe in detail how your car ran flawlessly and what it was like passing all kinds of cars and put a camera on them and let's see how they react to your tales of finishing 26th overall and 8th in class. Then I'll tell them a story about the idiots next to you who were wrenching all weekend dressed as Milli Vanilli and who kept stopping every 2 hours for a choreographed lip-synced dance break and then fed the paddock Milli Vanilla ice-cream sandwiches and who were cheered by a deafening crowd when they went up to collect their trophy at the awards ceremony.

I'll say again: there are plenty of series and events that you can go drive your racecar fast in, whether it be in a parking lot or a racetrack and it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. But if you go ahead and show up at your Alphabet Soup Race themed up with a giant blimp on your roof, you'll get a reaction that makes it pretty clear that You-Who-Are-Themed-Up are pretty disillusioned if you think that is the place or that. I think the exact same-but-opposite thing should be true for those who show up at Lemons events with little-to-no theme and overly-prepped "$500 My Ass" cars.

I kinda liken it to seeing a bunch of high schoolers descend on a elementary school playground during their recess and tell the toddlers, who are having a grand old time, how they are playing on the equipment all wrong and then show them how to do it "right" . Start explaining to the kid in the sandbox the principles of structural analysis and why they should build their sand castles THIS way and not THAT way, and to the kid on the swing why jumping off the swing at THIS point of the arc versus THAT part of the arc is BETTER because they will fly further and faster...

If that's what you really want to do with your time-- turn laps for hours on end and see how many seconds you can shave off each lap time and see if you can get them to add up and squeeze out an extra 3/4 of a lap during your stint--  then awesome. But I argue that that really isn't the point. If it were, more of those types of efforts would be celebrated and rewarded by the organizers. Instead, the organizers choose to highlight, focus on, and reward the efforts that take place OFF of the racetrack.

Imagine spending days and weeks and months preparing the most well-prepared, most perfect car you can that you are SURE is going to be awesomely reliable and run like a train all weekend (but you of course ran out of time to theme it so you just paint it flat black and call it something like, oh I dunno, "RickyRacer" And then some IDIOT in a 1968 Olds Toronado with drum brakes all around doesn't slow down as quickly for a turn as one of your drivers thinks he SHOULD have been able to slow down and then cuts in at the apex to take the perfect line but basically pit maneuvers himself, spins out and slams into the concrete barrier at turn 7 in hour 4 of the race and bends the car all up so it can't get back out on track...  Do you sit around the rest of the weekend eating your neighbors' ice cream sandwiches? Do you prepare to tell stories about the AWESOME 4 hours of passing you got to do? Do you tell people your tales of woe about how your super-prepped car track-lapping weekend was "RUNED" by some idiot in a matador outfit who thought it was ok to bring a drum-braked 1960's car to a Lemons event?

Point is, don't try to tell the guy who WANTS advice on what costume to wear to a costume party that he should instead worry most about doing enough cardio workouts before hand so he has the stamina to last the entire party.

Ok drop thousands and spend many many hours on a theme. Then sit around all weekend because you can't get your car on the track. You can dress up any day of the week, you only get a few weekends to race.

And therein lies the beauty of this series.  You have the people like Cerveza with their E28 who are quite serious about competing, the people like Darko with the viper powered Rolls and people like Spank or Russell in the PNW or the guy back east with the Jet Electra.  All are accepted and each should be respected for their choices even if their inspiration is Sisyphus.  Each is competing for something.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Spank wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Ok drop thousands and spend many many hours on a theme. Then sit around all weekend because you can't get your car on the track. You can dress up any day of the week, you only get a few weekends to race.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

And therein lies the beauty of this series.  You have the people like Cerveza with their E28 who are quite serious about competing, the people like Darko with the viper powered Rolls and people like Spank or Russell in the PNW or the guy back east with the Jet Electra.  All are accepted and each should be respected for their choices even if their inspiration is Sisyphus.  Each is competing for something.

/agree

There is room for everyone in this series. A win doesn't event cover your expenses for a race so go out and do whatever makes you happy.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Couple of good ideas for a theme here - knock yourselves out, and have fun with it. I hope you post a picture of your theme...

///
  If anyone has any questions about why AXC1 is looking for a low stress environment, I'll suggest you check out the rules for the FSAE competitions he referenced.

Seems it's an engineering project management development thing, using the backdrop of a race series.

On cursory review of those rules,  I didn't see any limitations on the timing of rules changes, which seems like it could include the night before the race - or even during the race. If you complain, you can be excluded immediately.

Realistic as that may be as an engineering challenge, or working in any number of other professions, I can appreciate the interest in participating in a lower stress series, where you can focus on the fun.

... I've already had nightmares about those FSAE rules

FSAE wasn't in the habit of changing rules, but they were real sticklers for the rules, and if folks think the tech inspection for Lemons is onerous, you haven't really lived until you've gone through a FSAE tech inspection. My favorite one is on a tilt table. The car, with the tallest driver (yes they check), is put on a tilt tray that tilts the car to 60 degrees to simulate cornering forces and rollover stability. If any part of the driver goes outside the car, the team fails the test. If the car leaks any fluid, the team fails the test. If any wheel lifts off the tray table, the team fails the test. This is a deceptively simple test designed to exploit design weaknesses in several car systems. It's my favorite one because it's difficult to plan for, and easy to fail.

And that's just one of the physical components of the tech inspection.

Mind you everything on those FSAE race cars is custom built from the chassis, the seat, and even the engine management computer. And it's being built by college kids with a full working load of (mostly) engineering courses. During my time I had occasional nightmares about failing tech inspections or not getting the car ready on time, but I genuinely look back at the experience warmly and made good friends that have lasted even after we've graduated.

I didn't expect this thread to generate so much discussion, but as someone said above, I think there is room for everyone in this series. I'm interested in this over something like Spec Miata or because I'd like to have this experience in a fun environment where it seems to me (at least from the YouTube videos) that folks are genuinely having fun while also having the "racing experience", whatever that means to each of us.

And I would like to say this has nothing to do with the several ideas I have for parody racing liveries that would be frowned upon in any other racing series.

AXC1 wrote:
Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

[snip]

"FSAE wasn't in the habit of changing rules, ..."

[snip]

Understood; but they _could_ have.

It would be a realistic expectation on my part; because who hasn't completed 80% of a project, only to have the design parameters changed enough so you have to start over and complete the project in the remaining time originally alloted (related: "EDS Airplane")

Parody racing livery? Go for it!