Topic: Jaguar Exhaust Routing, side dump?

So on the V12 XJS that I foolishly continue to prep for a Lemons race, I need to figure out exhaust routing. The stock exhaust goes up and through the rear subframe which doesn’t seem workable both for when I inevitably have to drop the rear subframe again, and because my disassembly of said exhaust involved a sawzall after some frustration with stuck fasteners etc.
So I could do a side dump exhaust. What if I ran one bank out the right and one bank out the left? It would still exit behind the driver but in front of the axle. While I think it’s legal not sure it’s a good idea to have it that close to the driver. Other option just run both banks out the passenger side of the car. But they it’s in the way when I have to inevitably drop the drive shaft, transmission etc.

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: Jaguar Exhaust Routing, side dump?

We do side exhaust on two cars.  If it is just the exit that dumps out just before the wheel well, main concern is covering a jacking point.  If you are running actual side pipes, it needs burn protection (wrap, heat shield, whatever) anywhere the people beling in a driver could touch it.

As cool as they are, we would not do side pipes again.  Side exit, behind the driver, can solve some issues but do keep an eye on your noise for certain tracks...down-turn at the end can help but also can cause trailer loading clearance issues.

3 (edited by cheseroo 2021-07-03 07:49 AM)

My XJ12 exhaust exited out the passenger side just in front of the rear wheel.  Tech had no issue with that.  BTW, you really, really want the 6.0 over the 5.3.  5.3 very head gasket blowey, 6.0 not so much.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I have always run side-exit to the passenger side.
If you attach the down-pipes to the mufflers and exhaust pipes with
v-bands or band clamps it's pretty easy to separate if needed.
Both clamp types are very secure, as well.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I'd dump it all out on the passenger side, in front of the rear wheel.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Ignoring power loses, efficiency, nominal backpressure, etc.. .all of which I'm doubting you care about in Lemons, a smaller exhaust diameter and more bends will result in a quieter exhaust. I know nothing about anything Jaguar but I'd avoid straight dumps and going too big on diameter just so you aren't killing yourself having to listen to it on long stints. Exiting on the passenger side would probably make it quieter too. Maybe a side exit with a big ol' muffler bolted to the rear door sounds pretty cool? A chicken wire heat shield will probably be all you'd need to keep people from burning their legs.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i