Topic: Any Teams in San Diego seeking a grease monkey?

Hey All,

Are there any local enthusiasts in the San Diego area? I'm looking to work on some project cars and help make crazy dreams come true.

My name is Sam Veith and I just drove 3,700 miles to move to San Diego, CA. True to the Mayo Clinic's definition of insanity, I sold all my reliable cars and made the trip in my LS swapped 1990 Nissan Hardbody. I'm looking to meet other enthusiasts and join a team if its the right fit.

I'm a young mechanical engineer with a background in manufacturing technologies. I've owned 18 cars and was the captain of my school's Baja racing team.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up!

Re: Any Teams in San Diego seeking a grease monkey?

Don't take this the wrong way. Lemons is very inclusive of whatever bad idea you have.

But...

I don't think there are a lot of paid crew/driver positions available. This looks like you are looking for a paid position.

As I understand it, the best a crew-only team member should expect is entry, food, and booze over the weekend. The best a driving team member can hope for is entry fees less than about $1000 ($500-$1500 depending on the car) (I typically charge on the low end for A&D, but inflation, my car is slow, and and I haven't done this for a while). That $1000-ish typically pays for your share of the entry fee and some-ish of the consumables (race tires, tow vehicle maintenance, beer, etc.).

Teams with complicated structures are either more complicated or cost more. I've run with teams that amortize the cost of the weekend and somehow figure upgrades per team member that isn't an A&D and do some other voodoo math. That all sounds complicated. I prefer to keep my hobbies simple, so I just charge a flat rate that is cheaper than the amortized cost of whatever lunacy I am up to on a given weekend.

Usually teams that provide more of a full-service A&D charge more than me. My team is weird because the party is more important than the race, so there's that also. If the car is broke, then paying drivers often get a refund/discount.

I've also never been a permanent part of a team that has complicated ownership. I'm the captain of my team, and I can be a gopher on yours. I own my car, and you own yours. I'm happy to work on yours for free so it runs tomorrow as long as you are happy to do the same on mine (assuming we are at the same races, etc.).

I don't really get the "joint ownership" concept of some teams that seem to be fairly successful. In my mind, it is easier to be the benevolent dictator of the team rather than trying to herd some random collection of cats into collusion to make a racecar.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

[snip]
This looks like you are looking for a paid position.
[snip]

I didn't get that from his post at all.

I read this as:

He's just made a major life shift, yet he wants to continue to pursue his passion.

And - I'm just guessing here - perhaps now lives in an "Association" community, with a whole lot of restrictions on what he can do in the parking areas (after all, it is CA).

He's mentioned educational and experiential background,  and a certain amount of project management / leadership / teamwork history.

So he's looking for a group to join as he gets established in his new area.

3,700 miles is a long way. Philly is about 2,800 direct miles from San Diego. I'm guessing he did the cross-country tour on the move (like my nephew after college). Or he's from around Fairbanks, AK. Or Oaxaca, MX.

Regardless, he drove the 30 year old, engine-swapped truck the distance. On a cross country move. Instead of one of the 'reliable' vehicles.

That's a pretty good CV, if an 'endurance racing' team is looking for another member who can fix things.

That's just my opinion.

If I read it wrong, I apologize.

That guy

Hey,

Unfortunately we're not in SD, quite a while away in ventura county (camarillo). Just wanted to reach out because it sounds like you'd fit in great on our team if something were to come up and you moved closer out our way. We are a team of engineers, two of us were FSAE, ages 25-28. Mechanical engineers with one EE, me and another guy have been working in manufacturing with experience in both conventional and CNC machining. Sounds like you'd fit in great, sucks that you're so far away. We are potentially looking for a long term team member and potentially looking for a temporary 5th member for the 24hr race at HPR in CO. It doesn't hurt for you to reach out to me if you'd like: b.holt1293@gmail.com  ... email me your number and we can talk if you'd like. We're also going to be at willow springs (streets) tomorrow for a shakedown of our car if you'd wanna join.

-Brandon

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm excited to talk with you all.

@DirtyDuc, @Lemon_N-m got it mostly right. I'm a young engineer looking to enter the local enthusiast community and am here to have fun/learn. I came from upstate NY and took the northern route so we put on way more miles than a straight cannonball run. I still appreciate that you wrote out your thoughts! It's cool to hear about how it all works.

@duthehustle I'll reach out.

7 (edited by rb92673 2021-07-09 03:18 PM)

There are also a couple of pretty active facebook groups for Lemons racers. 

The Unofficial Facebook Group of the 24 Hours of Lemons - serius Lemons business
  Citrus Racers Lounge - s#!tposting and Lemons

Buttonwillow is the next local race, an Arrive and Drive is a good way to get started and meet other teams.  You can post in the OKStupid sub-forum to find a ride / crew opportunity.  You might not get a response until closer to the race as we are all not great planners.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

[snip]  You might not get a response until closer to the race as we are all not great planners.

Ouch ... a little harsh

;-)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

[snip]  You might not get a response until closer to the race as we are all not great planners.

Ouch ... a little harsh

;-)

A little accurate. Most teams don't seem to know (or admit, or worry) they are short on drivers until about a month out.

That guy

Ok then:

... as not all are great planners.

My life is interrupt-driven also, so I understand.

Hi I'm currently building a 1992 Acura Integra in Vista, CA and I'm looking for partners to help with the mechanical/electrical work and pay a share of the entry fee and a couple'a hundred for gas and incidentals. If you're ready to jump in let me know. I have tools and years of automotive repair experience.
Steve
stv--48@hotmail.com

Steve (stv--48) has been a crew member on our team for our last 2 races. I can vouch for him and recommend him as a teammate.