Re: First car build to run both Lemons and ChampCar

13-14lbs / horsepower?!  Just did the math.  We are sitting pretty at 25.4 lbs/ hp (at the crank). More is always better right?  With a number like that, I don’t understand why we have not been dominating.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

LOL.  Right?  How could you not dominate with a heavy and low horsepower car?  smile

zakp73 wrote:

13-14lbs / horsepower?!  Just did the math.  We are sitting pretty at 25.4 lbs/ hp (at the crank). More is always better right?  With a number like that, I don’t understand why we have not been dominating.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

28 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-04-09 06:47 PM)

I've been doing some research.

According to Wikipedia [so of course the figures are true], following is a summary of various BMW models #/HP ratios, as produced.

I took the two _highest_ HP figures listed for the platform, and of course that excluded any diesel models. I didn't do any zero-60 mph research, and I don't know how to associate torque with acceleration, other than to generally believe "more is better".

The higher number was usually listed for an M/ model, the other I usually took from the highest 'non-M/' model of the platform. I took a rough average of the listed curb weight, expecting a higher number would likely be for a diesel model.

Results:

E30  #/HP:  14.9-13.0
E34  #/HP:  16.7-15.6
E36  #/HP:  15.0-12.5
E46. #/HP:  17.9-10.1

Just a point of reference.

[edit: I deliberately didn't include any of the lower HP figures for any model. Obviously the ratio could be a lot worse (see above ^^). I would have posted this earlier, but I was cooking dinner.]

Probably should show your work for the E30.   Our E30 weighs 2650 with driver.  If we had 170 HP (M20) that would but us at 15.5 lb/hp.

Our Spec E46 weighs 2990 with driver and has 230hp.  That is 13lbs per HP. 

Even our SpecE46 would have a hard time winning a Lemons or Champ event as we can only get about 90-105 mins per tank.

Using Wikipedia, searched for Exx, followed chart on those pages.

I should have listed bhp, not HP - didn't notice that; corrected below.

Used listed curb weight, averaged specs in most cases.

E30
(b)HP: 168/192
/
325i/is/ix     1985-1993     M20B25 6-cyl     125 kW (168 bhp) at 5,800 rpm**     222 N⋅m (164 lb⋅ft) at 4,000 rpm**
M3 /M3 Evo 1  1986-1987     S14B23  4-cyl  143 kW (192bhp)  at 6,750 rpm     230 N⋅m (170 lb⋅ft)  at 4,750 rpm
I didn't include later models with more hp
Curb weight    1,080–1,200 kg (2,380–2,650 lb)
/
Curb: 2500
# / (b)HP: 14.9-13.0

E46
(b)HP:  190/335
/
328i / 328ci[29]     1998–2000     M52TUB28   inline-6     142 kW (190 hp)     280 N⋅m (207 lb⋅ft)
M3 (US)[38]         2000–2006       S54B32         inline-6      248 kW (333 hp)     355 N⋅m (262 lb⋅ft)  [*I rounded to 335]
Curb weight    1,385–1,770 kg (3,053–3,902 lb)
[I took the middle road here, but I think that's a huge range for curb weight]
/
Curb: 3400
# /(b)HP:  17.9-10.2**
[** corrected]

31 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2020-04-11 02:00 PM)

Yeah... nobody is running an E30 M3 or E46 M3 in Champ or Lemons.  So you can eliminate those.  Amazing there were rather nice E36 M3’s at Barber and I don’t think they got laps.  Nor did they win.  Which is kinda crazy that you can show up with an E36 M3 to a Lemons race and still not win.

Average lap time with pit is the equalizer. If you are making 5 minute pit stops against a car doing them in 3, you gotta make up 2 minutes on the track for stint. If you are doing 2 minute laps and 2 hour stints, you have to be 2 seconds a lap faster to make that up. The harder you push the car the more fuel it drinks and the more likely it is to break. It's a hard balance.

E30s, particularly 88-91 I think had larger fuel tanks. They have good power to weight and range. My Z motor is similar to an E30 motor but we have twin sidedraft carbs which are less efficient than the E30's fuel injection. Stock E30s, don't quite have the speed but mixing up some parts turns a blunt e30 into a scalpel.

Chumps 2 hour stint limit was pussified by the 7 hour race day. 5 minute pits stops are REALLY slow and yet they are the only organization I have seen a fire in pit lane.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

How about if a the winner is six seconds a lap faster, runs longer stints, and has faster pit stops?  If you run a stock E30 you can go to one pitstop a day with a 22 gallon cell (5 gph).  You can get custom Hunsaker’s for a 2 min pit stop.  But you can’t make up six seconds per lap. Plus now your car is illegal for Champ because you have a fuel cell.

You have to have a faster car for Champ than Lemons, but you have to have a better car for Lemons than Champ.

34 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2021-07-10 09:49 PM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Ok, but how are they on the reliability and the 'fun to drive / cost/pain of repairs' scales? Do they generally finish the race?

Our e30 has been great for that. Bored judges, but fun and pretty cheap (compared to other people's cost they shared on fb). 4 gph, 205 tires, and minimal maintenance. They are coming up on classic appreciation now so harder to build them cheap like 6 years ago but if you get lucky can be affordable.

However, there were more E46s than any other gen at Gingerman two weeks ago and they are cheap with reliable M54s that make good power. That's probably the right ticket these days. Similar gph (5) while E36 burns more (6.5) https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 40#p326640

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

SwarlesInCharge wrote:

Ok, but how are they on the reliability and the 'fun to drive / cost/pain of repairs' scales? Do they generally finish the race?

Our e30 has been great for that. Bored judges, but fun and pretty cheap (compared to other people's cost they shared on fb). 4 gph, 205 tires, and minimal maintenance. They are coming up on classic appreciation now so harder to build them cheap like 6 years ago but if you get lucky can be affordable.

However, there were more E46s than any other gen at Gingerman two weeks ago and they are cheap with reliable M54s that make good power. That's probably the right ticket these days. Similar gph (5) while E36 burns more (6.5) https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 40#p326640

4gph? jeesh we burn 10 or so.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Seems like you if you want to run both you need to build to the Chump rulebook because it's so convoluted in what costs you big-time on points and what doesn't .  I recently did the math on my current cars.  The Jag is comfortably under 500 pts but doubtful it's competitive, particularly when they allow S5x M-motor transplants into the BMWs.  The RX7 is a little over 500 pts but too expensive/not worth it to replace parts to bring it under.  The one that is eye-popping is the Sunbeam Imp.  The 3 series and Miatas clearly must tremble at the sight of a Sunbeam Imp on the entry list.  That car is 3300 pts.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Mr.Yuck wrote:
SwarlesInCharge wrote:

4gph? jeesh we burn 10 or so.

The Javelin is 12gph, we need to work on making it lighter.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

cheseroo wrote:

Seems like you if you want to run both you need to build to the Chump rulebook because it's so convoluted in what costs you big-time on points and what doesn't .  I recently did the math on my current cars.  The Jag is comfortably under 500 pts but doubtful it's competitive, particularly when they allow S5x M-motor transplants into the BMWs.  The RX7 is a little over 500 pts but too expensive/not worth it to replace parts to bring it under.  The one that is eye-popping is the Sunbeam Imp.  The 3 series and Miatas clearly must tremble at the sight of a Sunbeam Imp on the entry list.  That car is 3300 pts.

One used to be able to compete in both but since Champ continues to drop the points structure it is almost impossible....I mean if you want to actually race and not get passed every 3rd lap. Our car was about 480 when we 1st started Chumps. It was Lemons legal too. Now even with intake and carb in Champ we have 100 to burn. If when we race Lemons we have to remove the intake and carb or race EC. Our 84 T/A before it got balled up was one of the fastest Lemons cars on the track, same car Champ was mid pack.

Curious if you have considered building to Lucky Dog rules instead of champ car?  Lucky and Lemons are closer in competition than Lemons and Champ.

Bricoop wrote:

Curious if you have considered building to Lucky Dog rules instead of champ car?  Lucky and Lemons are closer in competition than Lemons and Champ.

OP is in Wisconsin where LD isn't really a player (at this point) so Chump makes more sense than LD.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

OP is in Wisconsin where LD isn't really a player (at this point) so Chump makes more sense than LD.

could try AER...