Topic: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

Good morning,

We are running our first true 24hr at HPR in CO September and I was curious what your input is for mirrors. We don't want to be blinded all night because I'm assuming that everyone bought the $20 amazon/ebay special light pods, but we also don't want to be hitting other cars because our mirror setup sucks. I found a post from a while ago that said avoid wink mirrors and no back glass helps. Luckily, we have a miata open top (no back glass) and a panoramic mirror so we're good there. Currently we have a panoramic rear/center mirror, two factory side mirrors, and a spot mirror mounted on the drivers side.

Are we setup pretty good? I was debating pulling the panoramic mirror and installing a factory rear/center mirror so it has the "flip up" night toggle.

Thanks,
Brandon

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

Easy fix, put darkish window tint on all rear view mirrors.  If you/others are light sensitive at night you can also tape a motocross visor to your helmet.  When the guy with his poorly aimed amazon LEDs blinds you through the tint you just dip your head a bit and let the visor block the mirror reflection.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

Good idea, thanks!

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

Or just move all your mirrors so you don't get blinded.  You will know when there is someone behind you, just be predictable and they can figure out when to pass you.

At HPR 24 last year there was about 55 cars and probably half that at night, so you wont get passed or pass many times per lap.

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

Good to know! I was expecting a big turnout because its a true 24hr but maybe people are smarter than we are and most avoid it haha.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

duthehustle93 wrote:

Good to know! I was expecting a big turnout because its a true 24hr but maybe people are smarter than we are and most avoid it haha.

Cheseroo and I like the 24s, but I think we are in the minority.  At least I think Ches likes them...

Last year was right in the middle of Covid too, so not sure how that affected attendance.  It looks like there was about the same amount for the BFE GP '21 so who knows.

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

rb92673 wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

Good to know! I was expecting a big turnout because its a true 24hr but maybe people are smarter than we are and most avoid it haha.

Cheseroo and I like the 24s, but I think we are in the minority.  At least I think Ches likes them...

Last year was right in the middle of Covid too, so not sure how that affected attendance.  It looks like there was about the same amount for the BFE GP '21 so who knows.

Yes, I love me the 24s but not enough to tow to CO.  Whenever someone has one closer to home I participate.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

Good to know! Yeah we'd love for one to come closer to SoCal but since it seems like they're all CO or further we said screw it and are making a road trip out of it. Looking forward to it!

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

duthehustle93 wrote:

Good to know! Yeah we'd love for one to come closer to SoCal but since it seems like they're all CO or further we said screw it and are making a road trip out of it. Looking forward to it!

It's a long ass drive from SoCal, I did it last September from OC.  If your tow vehicle is sketchy consider taking the 40 through New Mexico and then go up the 25.  My 4Runner was not happy on the 8500 foot passes on the 25, I can't imaging how unhappy it would have been over the 10,000'+ passes on the 15 and 70.  26+ hours out, tech, sleep 8 hours, race 24 hours, drive back 26+ hours. 

Good times.

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

y'all are doing it wrong.

Drove the racecar from San Diego to Houston, raced it in the 24hr, swapped out a transmission, and then finally drove it home to SanD. Then not many months later I drove it out to the CO 24hr to serve as both my transportation to/from the track that got 34-38mpg and also to serve as "backup racecar" in case of catastrophic failure. Fortunately, the VOLVO held together for the most part. It's still my daily (well, as much as I drive anywhere daily)

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

rb92673: Were you already towing pretty much at the max capacity of a 4Runner? We have a 2500 suburban towing a 7k lb enclosed. Not the most taxed rig in the world and it's all setup pretty nice, but we were curious how much the inclines and higher elevation would toll on the tow burban.

Spank: Damn that's some commitment! lol

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

duthehustle93 wrote:

rb92673: Were you already towing pretty much at the max capacity of a 4Runner? We have a 2500 suburban towing a 7k lb enclosed. Not the most taxed rig in the world and it's all setup pretty nice, but we were curious how much the inclines and higher elevation would toll on the tow burban.

Spank: Damn that's some commitment! lol

I was towing about 5k on a flatbed and the 4Runner is rated at 5k.  Also had 3 people in the 4Runner.  So we might have been over.

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

Good to know, thanks for the advice! We’ve got a couple extra thousand pounds of capacity left so I think we should be alright. That sounds like a lot to ask from a 4Runner haha. My dad also has a house in Utah we can stay at as a “halfway” lodging point if we go the other route.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

duthehustle93 wrote:

Good to know, thanks for the advice! We’ve got a couple extra thousand pounds of capacity left so I think we should be alright. That sounds like a lot to ask from a 4Runner haha. My dad also has a house in Utah we can stay at as a “halfway” lodging point if we go the other route.

After that I bought a 2500 diesel.

Re: Mirrors for true 24hr / night race

rb92673 wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

Good to know, thanks for the advice! We’ve got a couple extra thousand pounds of capacity left so I think we should be alright. That sounds like a lot to ask from a 4Runner haha. My dad also has a house in Utah we can stay at as a “halfway” lodging point if we go the other route.

After that I bought a 2500 diesel.

Oh nice!!

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata