Topic: Powder coated wheels

Hi - I should have asked for paint stripping for my 15" Honda aluminum wheels, but the shop did what I asked and media blasted them. Now they need finish. If you have experience racing with powder coated wheels;

1. Do you have any problems with the tire bead and the powder coated wheel? Do they slip under acceleration or cornering?
2. If your wheels have an insert where they accept the studs, was the surface of that also powder coated? The concern here is the wheel nuts staying tight.

Thanks.

Re: Powder coated wheels

People say that powder coating ruins the temper on aluminum wheels... although annealing temperature for 6061T6>powder coat cure temperature, so I don't know. Why risk it, just paint wheels.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with painting, powder coating, or event cleaning race wheels. They're gonna get ruined and dirty instantly.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

I'd just toss some high temp clear coat on them and call it a day...2-3 coats.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Had zero issues running powder coated wheels on my street 540i ( not the same as track work, but I don’t drive gently) but I agree, pretty much any refinishing of Lemons car wheels is a waste of time. We run whatever OEM wheels are handy (coincidentally, our two cars of different makes share the same bolt pattern)

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Rustoleum semi gloss black seems to stick really well

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

IF you go through the trouble of powder coating (I definitely would not) some folks have reported the coating coming loose @ the hub mating surface allowing the wheel to loosen. Would be best to remove or never allow coating to be applied to that part.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!