Topic: Metal battery straps

We have our battery in a box and need to put straps on it.  Any suggestions or pics of how you did it.  I think the straps need to go around the battery inside the box.  I tried to paste my setup in this post, but failed.

Dave

Castoroil

Re: Metal battery straps

Don't think we have pictures readily accessible. But we have a piece of home depot quality 1" flat bar bent to go over the battery and then down over the outside of the bottom half of the battery box. Bolts to the car on either side. Basically the strap holds both the battery and lower battery box down. You can shake our car with it bolted down. Then put the box cover on and that gets held with a ratchet strap to make it quick to access when needed.

I believe the bottom box is also bolted down. I think we cut a piece of metal to fit the inside of the box, welded some studs to it and through bolted to the floor with huge washers. So the box can't move on it's own, then the strap secures things in place. Been like 5 years since we did it, so i'm going off of memory.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

After our steel Summit hold-down bracket let our battery start flopping around in the spare tire well during a race, we fixed it for good by making our own hold-down bracket.   

We use a 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 11" aluminum bar, drilled 3/8" holes on each end and ran 3/8" steel full-threaded rod going down through the spare tire well. A 1/8" x 1" x 11" steel bar underneath the car guarantees that it won't pull through, and double-nuts with Loctite keep it in place. Thin urethane sheet/urethane washers prevent galvanic corrosion.

Most common is 1" strap on top...1" strap under the car (or OEM battery tray)...all thread between them.  Why?  Evne though you are in a box, someone might have to loan you their spare battery...either another team, your own DD, your tow pig...to finisha race one day.  If it fits in the box, this mount will fit it.

Thanks guys, I think I got a great idea of what to do.

Dave

Castoroil

Make sure battery can't move. Not at all. They kinda frown on wiggly electrical things

MBTL Racing