Topic: New Car, New to Lemons - Chicagoland area

Hello all!

I've acquired a 2006 lancer thats seen other racing events and would love to enter it in the next Gingerman race in October. A few issues stand in the way however.

Its not running. Compression is low 40-60psi on all four cylinders. Obd port is not responsive but I've tested for fuel, spark and timing and all seem okay.

I have zero safety equipment as of yet

I have no towing equipment (plan to borrow parents truck and rent a dolly at last resort)

I've never been racing before so I'm likely missing other essentials but I've got some tools, Google, and a desire to get things running and on track.

There is a roll cage but the body is pretty roughed up at the moment. Not sure if bumper covers are required to pass tech lol. I have some damaged civic bumpers I might try to utilize ^.^

So yeah, tons more to mention but thought I'd start here to see what needs to happen for a chance to register and make it in October

Thanks!

Re: New Car, New to Lemons - Chicagoland area

MartyTron -

Welcome!  Whereabouts in ChicagoLand?  There are LOTS of Lemons teams spread around the Chicago area that would happily share their knowledge and experience to get your car race ready.

I hope you realize the database closes in 5 days for Gingerman and the race is less than 4 weeks away.  Sounds like you have a long list of ToDos.  Do you have teammates to help with the build and preparation, and more importantly, to help defray the costs?  Getting a new car ready for first race is not cheap or easy.

You mentioned the car has seen other racing events.  Lemons? ChampCar?  Or dirt track roundy-round?  You might want to take photos of the rollcage and e-mail them to the Chief Tech Inspector, John Pagel, if you have any questions or concerns.  It would really suck to spend a pile of money and time to get your car ready and drag it all the way up to South Haven, only to have it fail tech.

Darren

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

Hi Darren,

I'm in Westmont. I just got the car two weeks ago but has been to scca races. I realize the todo list is long but had to start somewhere. I'll get some photos together and check in with tech to see if there is a glimmer of hope it passes. No teammates on the roster yet since I'm still trying to get things rolling.

MartyTron wrote:

...and rent a dolly...

Is your Lancer plated and insured? Quite a few jurisdictions allow a tow dolly to be used only for a vehicle that is fully street-legal, inasmuch as the vehicle itself is still in contact with the road.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Yeah, it will likely be impossible to get the car prepped in time for Gman.  Recommend that you just go and spectate this time and prep for the spring/summer race next year.

There are a few Lemons racers in your area that would likely be willing to stop by and look your car over and give tips.  Let me know and I can get them your contact info.  Also, you're welcome to come visit us on one of our build days.  We are in the far south suburbs.  We aren't doing Gman, tho.

MartyTron wrote:

Hi Darren,

I'm in Westmont. I just got the car two weeks ago but has been to scca races. I realize the todo list is long but had to start somewhere. I'll get some photos together and check in with tech to see if there is a glimmer of hope it passes. No teammates on the roster yet since I'm still trying to get things rolling.

Yeah, I think getting a new car ready in one month without help is a bit optimistic.  This is sounding more like a winter project for you, getting ready for the Midwest races in Spring 2022 (unless you are planning to do any of the southern races later this year).  You can use the extra time to sort out the engine issues, recruit teammates, gather up tools and spares, and figure out transport.  I would encourage you to attend the Gingerman race as a spectator and hang out in the paddock.  Introduce yourself and ask a lot of questions... you'll find the Lemons community very approachable and eager to help out.

You might also try the various Lemons Facebook pages, which tend to be a bit more active than the Forums.  Maybe you can hook up with another team running a Mitsu!  Good luck!

Darren

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)