Topic: Pyrotect Kill Switch Problems

Hey all,

Has anyone else had any manufacturing issues with the Pyrotect kill switch sold on the Lemons store?  I just had to replace a nearly brand new one (installed it like 6 weeks ago and purchased new from the store not much longer before that) because the blade connectors on the back were loose and causing connection issues for the charging circuit (they are loose on the inside of the switch somewhere).  It seems maybe a bad solder joint inside, but I've yet to rip it apart as I'll probably ask for an exchange.

I vaguely recall coming across a post mentioning this same issue, but I can't find it now.  I also wanted to warn folks of this issue, as it would be a really crappy way to interrupt a race.  I might just splurge and get the more expensive ones on Pegasus for the replacements.

-Sean, Turbo-Encabulators

Re: Pyrotect Kill Switch Problems

The first one we got from them was DOA. The next one worked, but it doesn't really inspire confidence. What's the pegasus model you were looking at?

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

For what it's worth, we have been running the quickcar brand kill switch, mostly because it's relatively inexpensive.  The first one we put in got moisture inside while stored under a tarp over the winter and completely failed due to corrosion.  We wrote that off as likely a fluke and installed another one identical to the first.....which then got moisture inside and failed just like the other.  I was going to buy the protect switch as I have seen other teams using them with satisfactory results but now I'm not so sure.

rozap_ wrote:

The first one we got from them was DOA. The next one worked, but it doesn't really inspire confidence. What's the pegasus model you were looking at?

Ditto for us...DOA.

5 (edited by Teuobk 2023-03-19 07:28 PM)

As a follow-up to this, we had a second one of the switches from the Lemons store fail, this time due to the alternator field switch plate deforming over time, which led to a poor connection and a lack of battery charging.

After that happened, we changed to a battery disconnect switch from Pegasus, which at the time (September 2022) was a made-in-Germany Rudolf Bruggemann brand switch; Pegasus doesn't state the brand in their listing, so they may or may not still carry that exact switch.

The action on the German switch is much nicer than the cheapie. It's confidence-inspiring, and it's been flawless in operation, though note that we've only used it for one race (the true-24 at HPR) so far. One minor note: the good Rudolf Bruggemann switch turns only a quarter turn whereas the cheap switches do a half turn.

Jeff

Turbo-Encabulators -- 1999 Mazda Miata -- Winner overall, BFE GP '22, runner-up a bunch of times

We had the same problem and have since switched to the Pegasus unit. So far so good after 1 year.

Cordoba

We have the Longacre one (quarter turn) and it's worked fine since we installed it back in 2015.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The kill switch in my car since 2017 looks like the Longacre 2 pole. It has at least 16 races on it.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon