Topic: Official 2022 Schedule + Complimentary Whining Space!

Yes, do tell us what we've omitted to your eternal chagrin. COVID and general-other-stuff seems to be delaying some of the tracks' ability to nail down dates, so there is some tentative and TBA on there yet. We'll get those ironed out ASAP, so check back for updates.

Short YouTube Video of Jay and Nick that is mostly for social media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwMn2k5N6x0

Blog Post with release and dates
https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/2022-lemons-calendar/

Random picture from last weekend at Gingerman:
https://i.imgur.com/xVf00v9.jpg

ACTUAL SCHEDULE

24 HOURS OF Lemons RACES
February 5-6: ‘Shine Country Classic – Barber Motorsports Park (Leeds, AL)
March 12-13 (Tentative): Yokohama Sears Pointless – Sonoma Raceway (Sonoma, CA)
March 26-27 (Tentative): Cain’t Get Bayou – NOLA Motorsports Park (Avon, LA)
April 9-10: The Pitt Maneuver – Pittsburgh International Race Complex (Wampum, PA)
April or May: Lemons South Spring – Track TBA
May 28-29: Yokohama Days of Thunderhill – Thunderhill Raceway (Willows, CA)
June 4-5: The B.F.E. GP – High Plains Raceway (Deer Trail, CO)
June 11-12: Yokohama Real Hoopties of NJ – NJMP (Millville, NJ)
June 25-26 (Tentative): The Rust Belt GP – Gingerman Raceway (South Haven, MI)
July 16-17: Pacific Northworst GP – Oregon Raceway Park (Grass Valley, OR)
August 6-7: GP du Lac Chargoggagogg(etc) – Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (Thompson, CT)
August 13-14: Doing Time in Joliet – Autobahn Country Club (Joliet, IL)
September 10-11: High Plains Drifter – High Plains Raceway (Deer Trail, CO)
September 24-25: Lemons South Fall – NCM Motorsports Park (Bowling Green, KY)
October 1-2: Yokohama Button Turrible – Buttonwillow Raceway Park (Buttonwillow, CA)
October 8-9: The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial – Gingerman Raceway (South Haven, MI)
October 15-16: Smells Like AMC Spirit – The Ridge Motorsports Park (Shelton, WA)
October 29-30: Halloween Hooptiefest – New Hampshire Motor Speedway (Loudon, NH)
November 4-6: Yokohama Stuntin’ & Splodin’ Soiree – MSR Houston (Angleton, TX)
December 3-4 (Tentative): Yokohama Arse-Freeze-Apalooza – Sonoma Raceway (Sonoma, CA)
December 10-11: The Kim Harmon Scrotium 500 – Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA)

Lemons RALLY
March 4-6: Southern Fried Heaps Rally (Mobile, AL to Cedar Key, FL)
April 21-24: Rocky Mountain Breakdown (Denver, CO to Denver, CO)
July 15-17: Rust Belt Ramble (Detroit, MI to Buffalo, NY)
August 5-7: Hell On Wheels California Rally (Sacramento, CA to Sacramento, CA)
September 30-October 2: Fall Fail-Iage Rally (Boston, MA to Boston, MA)
Novermber 8-12: Great River Road Lemons Rally (New Orleans, LA to St. Paul, MN)

CONCOURS D’Lemons
March 5: Concours d’Lemons Florida – Amelia Island, FL
June 4: Concours d’Lemons Connecticut – Greenwich, CT
August 22: Concours d’Lemons California – Seaside, CA
September TBA: Concours d’Lemons Michigan – Detroit, MI

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: Official 2022 Schedule + Complimentary Whining Space!

insert grumbling about my favorite track not being here.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

fall rally doesn't overlap with NH race, which means I can go, that's cool.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Yeah, that first attempt at a New England Rally flowing into the NHMS paddock party got stymied by COVID and, as it turns out, wasn't the best idea in the world, either. So we moved the rally earlier to catch more FOILAGE while we were at it.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

5 (edited by chaase 2021-10-13 12:06 PM)

therood wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Yeah, that first attempt at a New England Rally flowing into the NHMS paddock party got stymied by COVID and, as it turns out, wasn't the best idea in the world, either. So we moved the rally earlier to catch more FOILAGE while we were at it.

The Concourse in Greenwich doesn't coincide with a race in the Northeast so that's nice. The rally avoiding NHMS means I might be able to convince some people to do that as well.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Now if you're looking for whining, the proposed NH race date is my anniversary, so we'll see what that means for my streak of never missing a NH race. How could you not consider my personal life when planning events with tracks? Rude. Rood even.

(dear god I hope it's clear I'm joking)

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

St. Paul in November, you people are sick.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Did Lemons give up on Inde in AZ?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I hope CMP pulls their heads out their buts so we can have the spring race there.

rb92673 wrote:

I don't know what the situation was for 2022, but when we went there in 2020, they had raised the rental rates significantly. I don't remember exact numbers, but I seem to recall it was a lot more than a 50 percent increase.

If we (Lemons and the world) get back to business as normal this year, we might be willing to take more chances on places like Inde in the future, but that's pretty hard to figure right now.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Also: Thunderhill is confirmed (no longer tentative) for the date on the calendar. That's been edited on the top post.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

I don't know what the situation was for 2022, but when we went there in 2020, they had raised the rental rates significantly. I don't remember exact numbers, but I seem to recall it was a lot more than a 50 percent increase.

If we (Lemons and the world) get back to business as normal this year, we might be willing to take more chances on places like Inde in the future, but that's pretty hard to figure right now.

Thanks for that inside info.  With the low car count, I can understand that decision.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

I hope CMP pulls their heads out their buts so we can have the spring race there.

Same here!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

14 (edited by Camper Van Someren 2021-10-18 11:20 PM)

rb92673 wrote:
therood wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Thanks for that inside info.  With the low car count, I can understand that decision.

I’m also sad there is no AZ race. Most of the other top-20 metro areas have a race within a 4h drive, with the exceptions being Miami and Tampa (got Sebring in 2021) and Minneapolis (7.5 hours to Chicago). Phoenix is 8h from Buttonwillow (really popular) and 12h from Sonoma or High Plains in Denver.

Inde is a great facility, but I’m not surprised it’s expensive. There are plenty of other Arizona tracks but none as long or fancy as Inde. I guess if Inde is too expensive to justify the low car count, they could come back to a shorter, cheaper track to build the AZ momentum? Arizona Motorsports Park is 2.25 miles (limited facilities), Wild Horse Pass has several circuits including a 2.5 mile combined with Radford School (formerly Bondurant), Attesa is a brand new 2.8 mile track in Casa Grande, or even adding Chuckwalla in the desert between LA and Phoenix.

Just my 2c

Camper Van Someren wrote:

...or even adding Chuckwalla in the desert between LA and Phoenix.

Lemons ran at Chuckwalla once in 2012. It was a good weekend but my understanding is there were behind-the-scenes issues that did not involve the inanimate portions of the facility.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Lemons ran at Chuckwalla once in 2012. It was a good weekend but my understanding is there were behind-the-scenes issues that did not involve the inanimate portions of the facility.

That's before my time, but I know one of the takeaways from that weekend was, "Don't be the first major renter at a new facility."

As for the AZ tracks: Arizona Motorsports Park is a non-starter; they are tied down by city ordinances that basically mean they can't do what we need them to do. Wild Horse Pass' road course when we went there in 2010 was...not great. Maybe it's been improved with their management change, I dunno. Atesa isn't open yet and hasn't broken ground even from what I can see.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

What about VIR or CMP?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

therood wrote:
mharrell wrote:

That's before my time, but I know one of the takeaways from that weekend was, "Don't be the first major renter at a new facility."

Yeah, the track owner is a bit....laid back.  Time is just sort of a concept.  But having said that they have made a bunch of improvements since we were last there.  The paddock asphalt pad is much, much bigger.  We were packed in there before.  They have permanent cabins for rent (which are new and not the janky travel trailers they had before).

I knew the owner flew in from Las Vegas but didn't realize he owned the airport nor that it was on the same grounds.  We raced there last year and had a tire break loose and roll off into the desert.  I was wandering around trying to find the tire and wandered across some asphalt.  I heard an airplane starting it's takeoff roll and realized I was wandering around on the runaway.  I broke out into a sprint and can only imagine the scene out his windshield looked like those wildlife videos where a pilot is buzzing a herd of antelope and they are running away.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

VKZ24 wrote:

What about VIR or CMP?

We are still working on the South races and I don't know much about it, sorry.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
mharrell wrote:

As for the AZ tracks: Arizona Motorsports Park is a non-starter; they are tied down by city ordinances that basically mean they can't do what we need them to do. Wild Horse Pass' road course when we went there in 2010 was...not great. Maybe it's been improved with their management change, I dunno. Atesa isn't open yet and hasn't broken ground even from what I can see.

You’re right about WHP - they have 3 separate tracks but none are in great condition. Attesa has broken ground but is behind schedule, and given what you say about renting from a new venue, it may be a while before your feel comfortable bringing the series there. What they say about Chuckwalla’s improvements is true - the cabins are beautiful and the pit area is big and new. Maybe going to Vegas at LVMS or Spring Mountain?

Anyways, I’m not complaining. I know there is a lot behind the scenes, and I appreciate the work you do.

therood wrote:
mharrell wrote:

You’re right about WHP - they have 3 separate tracks but none are in great condition. Attesa has broken ground but is behind schedule, and given what you say about renting from a new venue, it may be a while before your feel comfortable bringing the series there. What they say about Chuckwalla’s improvements is true - the cabins are beautiful and the pit area is big and new. Maybe going to Vegas at LVMS or Spring Mountain?

Anyways, I’m not complaining. I know there is a lot behind the scenes, and I appreciate the work you do.

The issue that a lot of tracks have is that they are not setup for wheel to wheel racing. The track surfaces are not wide enough for 3 cars to run side by side down a straight or even two wide in the corners. Lemons needs a fair amount of run off so if someone goes off-roading, they don't hit a wall

<snip>Maybe going to Vegas at LVMS or Spring Mountain?

Pigs will fly before Lemons goes to Spring Mountain.  That was supposed to be our first race with the RX7 back in 2008 or 2009?  IIRC, the track cancelled with very late notice because some other group offered more money and then held the deposit for some time.  There was some serious bad blood there and I doubt they would be considered under any circumstance.  That cancellation was how the then Firebird/now Wild Horse Pass race got hastily scheduled to replace it.  I didn't even hear about that race until it was over.  Last I checked the LVMS manager was open to hosting a race but I don't think that track was ever under consideration.  They seem to try to keep a balanced number of tracks in each region so for something to be added, something needs to come off.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
therood wrote:
mharrell wrote:

Yeah, the track owner is a bit....laid back.  Time is just sort of a concept.  But having said that they have made a bunch of improvements since we were last there.  The paddock asphalt pad is much, much bigger.  We were packed in there before.  They have permanent cabins for rent (which are new and not the janky travel trailers they had before).

I knew the owner flew in from Las Vegas but didn't realize he owned the airport nor that it was on the same grounds.  We raced there last year and had a tire break loose and roll off into the desert.  I was wandering around trying to find the tire and wandered across some asphalt.  I heard an airplane starting it's takeoff roll and realized I was wandering around on the runaway.  I broke out into a sprint and can only imagine the scene out his windshield looked like those wildlife videos where a pilot is buzzing a herd of antelope and they are running away.

Since you were there much more recently than I was, would you care to enlighten me as to whether they have decent restroom/shower facilities at CVR now?

Going to race there this very weekend, as it were wink

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

\

Since you were there much more recently than I was, would you care to enlighten me as to whether they have decent restroom/shower facilities at CVR now?

Going to race there this very weekend, as it were wink

Good question.  TBH, I honestly don't remember.  Must have been delirious from the heat, it was 109 or 110 when we ran there.  You guys have much better weather for that race this year than last.  It wasn't quite 2015 Buttonwillow hot but it was still stinking hot.

Gone bye-bye

Given my newfound interest in races out east, I found out why we can't have VIR. Lemons is incompatible with the track.

https://virnow.com/about/policies/

That guy