Topic: 'Performance Parts'

I got a little tired of work today, so why not waste 10 seconds of your time on here. Anyone else experience this at the track??

https://i.postimg.cc/BnbZqtHc/5q5v6m.jpg

2021 Rust Belt GP Gingerman IOE - 1995 Chevy Super10
2021 Tony Swan Never Say Die mid-pack participant.

Re: 'Performance Parts'

I can neither confirm nor deny that we have tried performance upgrades on a Saturn and said Saturn never really ran right and may have even blown up faster than usual.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

I can neither confirm nor deny that we have tried performance upgrades on a Saturn and said Saturn never really ran right and may have even blown up faster than usual.

Oh man, our team has definitely felt that pain. At least it's fun to try!

2021 Rust Belt GP Gingerman IOE - 1995 Chevy Super10
2021 Tony Swan Never Say Die mid-pack participant.

I've run British A-series engines with many different cam grinds in various platforms. The prevailing wisdom is a "266 grind" is best for "fast road" use. I've run a couple different manufacturers 266 grinds (including dual pattern) as well as 256, 276 and 286 grinds.  Added to this was the usual "stage 1 upgrades" including a K&N filter, intake and exhaust manifolds and larger bore exhaust and mufflers.

When I drove in Lemons a bog-stock MG Metro in that has the same A-series engine in it with its stock camshaft (but it did have a slightly larger exhaust on it and just a K&N filter insert into the stock housing) it COMPLETELY changed my opinion and perspective on engine camshafts. The performance was RIGHT where I wanted it to be and I didn't blow the engine or require me to over-rev it.  It had all of the "go" I wanted and at a lower rev range and seemingly even more torque.

Spank wrote:

...but it did have a slightly larger exhaust on it...

I don't think you changed that after you got the car from me, so it may have been larger than a Mini's but it was factory-correct for a Metro.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally