Topic: Fire Extinguisher for Refueling

I already know going in this is a dumb question, but please confirm my dumbness: we need to provide our own fire extinguisher for refueling, right?

#22 Team Slowtus Ford Focus

Re: Fire Extinguisher for Refueling

Yes. It's in the rules, albeit not in the world's most obvious place:

3.C FUELING RULES

3.C.1 Fueling. All fueling must be done from handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs or from the track’s permanent pumps. During fueling, the kill switch must be off; no one can be in the car; and NO other work may be done (no fluid or tire checks, no screwing with the camera, etc.) except adding ice to a driver-cooling system and cleaning the windshield after fueling is fully completed. At least two crew members must participate in fueling, all wearing the same safety gear as a driver. Visors must be down. At least one team member must have a fire extinguisher in hand, ready to shoot, aimed at the fueler or fuelers. Fueling locations vary by track and are covered at the Drivers Meetings. Participants are responsible for knowing all fueling rules and accepted locations.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

It's in the rules...

It's in the rules that an extinguisher must be "in hand" but that's not the same as spelling out whether the team must supply their own, so AXC1 raised a fair question. Yes, teams must bring their own extinguisher.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
therood wrote:

It's in the rules...

It's in the rules that an extinguisher must be "in hand" but that's not the same as spelling out whether the team must supply their own, so AXC1 raised a fair question. Yes, teams must bring their own extinguisher.

Fair point. We do always assume people just steal them from gas stations anyway.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

AXC1 wrote:

I already know going in this is a dumb question, but please confirm my dumbness: we need to provide our own fire extinguisher for refueling, right?

We use an all metal ABC extinguisher that is at least a 5 lbs.  Costco has a two pack for $50 right now. 

I used to keep one in the car and one for fueling.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

therood wrote:

We do always assume people just steal them from gas stations anyway.

Extinguishers? Cars? Teammates? There's nothing quite like the convenience of one-stop shopping.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
therood wrote:

It's in the rules...

That's right, this was my question.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Off to Costco I go.

The Costco ones are just fine, but I'd recommend looking for something with more agent.  I found this extinguisher to be good value, it has more than 3x the agent, 2x the discharge time, and 2x the range.  Also pay attention to the rating of the class B agent.  That's what extinguishes petroleum.  The costco ones have a rating of 10-B:C, the Home Depot has a rating of 60-B:C.  The rating relates to the square footage of the fire it is rated to extinguish.   https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Pro-4 … /100566451