1 (edited by johnmcracer 2021-10-08 07:57 AM)

Topic: Best "Automatic Car" to build???

Don't say just build an manual. There are reasons around my question.

If one was to start a new build and "needed" to build an automatic transmission car, what would people recommend?

Re: Best "Automatic Car" to build???

P71 Crown Vic

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I haven’t run enough races to give longevity advice but.......

If you run an auto - I would not recommend downshifting it by hand. Use the brakes to slow down - they are a lot cheaper to replace.

Having learned that lesson - my rebuilt 727 Torqueflite will be running its third race in NH coming up. We will see if it lives

Cordoba

Our 7004r held up pretty well behind a mildly built 305 in our 84 Trans Am. We used the ac condenser and used tractor hydraulic fluid. We did add a race valve body after our 2nd race...That helped with lazy shifts.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Jimmy wrote:

I haven’t run enough races to give longevity advice but.......

If you run an auto - I would not recommend downshifting it by hand. Use the brakes to slow down - they are a lot cheaper to replace.

Having learned that lesson - my rebuilt 727 Torqueflite will be running its third race in NH coming up. We will see if it lives

727's went behing 700+hp race cars. They are strong. Just keep them cool.

Jimmy wrote:

.If you run an auto - I would not recommend downshifting it by hand. Use the brakes to slow down - they are a lot cheaper to replace.

This is true of manuals too. Brakes are for slowing down and should do most of that work.

I've never built an automatic for the track, but general advice is that heat is the enemy of drive train components. I would pick a transmission that has a cooler already, or is easy to add one, then upgrade to a beefy cooler.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

DelinquentRacer wrote:

P71 Crown Vic

This

P71 Crown Vic all the way.

If you or the team wants to do a GM car, Id say Turbo 350.  So like an older Camaro, Monte Carlo, Nova, etc..

and it ALL cases, no matter what you build, get a big cooler, deep sump pan, and keep the fluid cool at all times.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

If you or the team wants to do a GM car, Id say Turbo 350.  So like an older Camaro, Monte Carlo, Nova, etc..

and it ALL cases, no matter what you build, get a big cooler, deep sump pan, and keep the fluid cool at all times.

Decent P71's are getting expensive.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Alas this is true....

So get one that is LEMONY!!  ;-)

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Alternative if you want something much better on consumables (tires, fuel, etc) but also more a Class C competitor, any RWD Volvo with the AW70/71/70L/71L (so 1984-1995 not a V/S90).  Only thing that kills them is water in fluid from a failed in radiator cooler.  Same basic transmission was in the Toyota Pickup, first get Tacoma, Previa, early Supras, etc but with a divorce bell housing and Toyota specific gearing.  Best years for parts availability and some semblence useful engine diagnostics are the late 1988-1995 as long as you get one with Bosch fuel and ignition management.  This encompasses the 240, 740, 760 turbo and 940.

12 (edited by Guildenstern 2021-10-11 12:37 PM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Luckily, this is Lemons, so it doesn't need to be decent.

A stripped out cop car has half the interior work already done for you.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Sn95 v6 mustang auto has done well for me in 2 races so far.

Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Luckily, this is Lemons, so it doesn't need to be decent.

A stripped out cop car has half the interior work already done for you.

More concerned about rust and extremely worn out suspension. Yes I know it can be replaced. And I would not take a car to the track w/o  really good suspension...but some people will drive anything.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Alternative if you want something much better on consumables (tires, fuel, etc) but also more a Class C competitor, any RWD Volvo with the AW70/71/70L/71L (so 1984-1995 not a V/S90).  Only thing that kills them is water in fluid from a failed in radiator cooler.  Same basic transmission was in the Toyota Pickup, first get Tacoma, Previa, early Supras, etc but with a divorce bell housing and Toyota specific gearing.  Best years for parts availability and some semblence useful engine diagnostics are the late 1988-1995 as long as you get one with Bosch fuel and ignition management.  This encompasses the 240, 740, 760 turbo and 940.

We were thinking actually a Volvo. Preferably a RWD unit. But really tough to find cheap. You can find autos all day long. I personally want to do a wagon for the fun factor!!!

johnmcracer wrote:

We were thinking actually a Volvo. Preferably a RWD unit. But really tough to find cheap. You can find autos all day long. I personally want to do a wagon for the fun factor!!!

Fun factor is a thing but what lots of folks don't think about is...you know how useful wagons are on the street because they can carry a lot of stuff...works for racing as well.  Our minivan is even better as we can load 4 large bins of spares, 4 spare wheels and tires, etc and have room left over.  In the off season it still stores all its own race gear.

NA 940's are normally pretty inexpensive as the overweight, unloved last itteration of the redblock RWD platform.  They weigh the same as the 740 once stripped to race.

240 wagon market got ruined about 8 years ago by the hipsters that bought them, failed to maintain them and junked them.  They have the better front suspension for racing, lighter weight but honestly are not worth the premium.

17 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-10-14 09:14 PM)

Crown vics are cheap and avaliable, but heavy

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

We have run TH350 in 12 races.  We brake to slow, but manually shift to 2nd to exit the corner.  Cheap to rebuild, dependable if you use decent parts.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

bobnowoc wrote:

Crown vics are cheap and avaliable, but heavy

lots of meatal you can cut out. Gutting all 4 doors, trunk lid, hood, roof (gives you more room for cage), heater box, power windows, locks, emissions, AC unit...I'd bet you can easily get 500+lbs out of it. The door bars alone are probably 25-30 each.

johnmcracer wrote:

As long as you keep oil in it, the B230F and B230FT (turbo) are indestructible.  It is pretty easy to add a turbo to a NA B230.  740 and 940 are almost the same car and most parts are interchangeable.

Until you get to be a serious racer, they are class B/C cars depending on how horrible they are.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

1990-1996 Infiniti q45

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!