Topic: NH damage report

Was good to see people briefly again after a year sitting out Lemons, even if we didn't hang around for all the social parts of the weekend.

We had our first major mechanical failure since 2015 this weekend. Installed the transmission ventilation mod late saturday. I think it was our clutch deciding it had enough, which led to blowing a hole though the bellhousing and throwing some gear oil at our header (no fire thankfully, just smoke). There is zero connection between the engine and trans at this point. Never again will we allow ourselves to have center garage 19, it's the same garage where the Daytona died an engine seizing heat death.

Oh, and did anyone figure out what happened to the garage benches? We missed them dearly.

How'd everyone else's weekend go? Better than ours I hope. Share your stories.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: NH damage report

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/247988585_10227582580974276_6362219146185121830_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=MXv9w_NxUlEAX-VSU3x&tn=9ywyrpcXqXCPPyEG&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=f87b2e12f72d6cbe4c518547b71ed537&oe=619C7E45

new trans, freshly installed, wouldn't stay in gear on the test day, managed to get it in A gear......wouldn't come out, we ran both days with just 3rd.... so if you were putting around at 5mph during a caution and saw a lunatic frantically waving for you to go...... it was me trying to save our poor poor clutch....

Hey this raises a Q for me.  We lost our clutch master cylinder and nearly didn't find a replacement.  How does it work when you're in a push start type scenario as far as stopping at the check in official before entering the track? 
I'd rather not learn this procedure, but this be Lemons :-)

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

4 (edited by chaase 2021-10-25 03:51 PM)

That_Noise_Is_Normal wrote:

Hey this raises a Q for me.  We lost our clutch master cylinder and nearly didn't find a replacement.  How does it work when you're in a push start type scenario as far as stopping at the check in official before entering the track? 

The car doesn't need to be turned off but it should be fully stopped with clutch depressed and your foot on the brakes. If you cannot come to a safe, complete stop for the safety official, definitely do not go back on the track.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

How does it work when you're in a push start type scenario as far as stopping at the check in official before entering the track?

I've worked that position at a couple of races so I can explain my preference, but the bottom line is talk with the officials before trying to enter the track.

Having said that, I prefer not to have extra people that close to, or in some cases on, the live track but I am happy to walk away from the entrance to do the inspection at a slightly greater distance, then send the car nonstop through the regular checkpoint. Again, please let me emphasize that this is only how I prefer to handle it. Check with whoever is running the checkpoint in advance to find out their preference, then be prepared to give adequate warning again each time you're getting ready to send out the car. If things are busy, for example, you may have to wait.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Can't you start it in gear with the starter, then just rev match to shift, get it up to a racing gear, and then leave it there until you come in?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

mharrell wrote:

How does it work when you're in a push start type scenario as far as stopping at the check in official before entering the track?

I've worked that position at a couple of races so I can explain my preference, but the bottom line is talk with the officials before trying to enter the track.

Having said that, I prefer not to have extra people that close to, or in some cases on, the live track but I am happy to walk away from the entrance to do the inspection at a slightly greater distance, then send the car nonstop through the regular checkpoint. Again, please let me emphasize that this is only how I prefer to handle it. Check with whoever is running the checkpoint in advance to find out their preference, then be prepared to give adequate warning again each time you're getting ready to send out the car. If things are busy, for example, you may have to wait.

This is pretty much it. Check with Dale/Ken/Jeff/Mike/Armand or whoever we've got checking people at the track entrance. We're usually all pretty understanding unless you're getting towed in every 20 minutes. If that's the case, you're likely to get a "Really, go fix it" speech from me in Penalty because we can't have one car occupying the tow vehicle constantly.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

This is pretty much it. Check with Dale/Ken/Jeff/Mike/Armand or whoever we've got checking people at the track entrance. We're usually all pretty understanding unless you're getting towed in every 20 minutes. If that's the case, you're likely to get a "Really, go fix it" speech from me in Penalty because we can't have one car occupying the tow vehicle constantly.

Thanks, yeah we were figuring if the official was kind enough to let us out there then we'd need to stay out for a while.  Fortunately we broke it practice day and fixed by that night, but we were one seedy junkyard away from being hosed.

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Bruton saw what lumber was worth and sold the benches, even if the paint Georgethefierce sold him lowered the value somewhat. He needed another yacht. TheEngineer thought he was driving a C900 turbo, not a semi-modern one. I worked on carpentry projects for my kids' school and took a waffle head hammer strike to my right thumb. The blood blister is still throbbing a bit.

Facespace reminded me the Merkur has been moldering in the yard for FIVE YEARS...I really need to lower my credit score, incite grounds for divorce, and rebuild...or get out the Sawzall.

fiasco wrote:

Facespace reminded me the Merkur has been moldering in the yard for FIVE YEARS...I really need to lower my credit score, incite grounds for divorce, and rebuild...or get out the Sawzall.

Dude, the E36 in my signature I picked up like 2 months into dating the person that is now my wife, and it still doesn't run. Life is crazy. Wouldn't change a thing though.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

fiasco wrote:

Bruton saw what lumber was worth and sold the benches, even if the paint Georgethefierce sold him lowered the value somewhat. He needed another yacht. TheEngineer thought he was driving a C900 turbo, not a semi-modern one. I worked on carpentry projects for my kids' school and took a waffle head hammer strike to my right thumb. The blood blister is still throbbing a bit.

i would like to take this opportunity to point out....

I do not sell paint.

Good Day.

rb92673 wrote:

Can't you start it in gear with the starter...?

Either way I'd still prefer to do the inspection farther back so as to leave plenty of room for the potential (and repeated?) failure of any desperate starting methods before the car is physically committed to being on track. Again, though, check with whoever is running things at the event.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

If anybody has any Video of the Corvette / Cordoba crashathon I would love to see it. Still not exactly sure what the heck happened.  I bet it looks like a Hippo and an Elephant falling down the stairs drunk. About 2/3rds thru day 2, in the turn going up the steep hill before the bowl…

Cordoba

TheEngineer wrote:
fiasco wrote:

Dude, the E36 in my signature I picked up like 2 months into dating the person that is now my wife, and it still doesn't run. Life is crazy. Wouldn't change a thing though.

Don't you have a cage in that already?

Jimmy wrote:

If anybody has any Video of the Corvette / Cordoba crashathon I would love to see it. Still not exactly sure what the heck happened.  I bet it looks like a Hippo and an Elephant falling down the stairs drunk. About 2/3rds thru day 2, in the turn going up the steep hill before the bowl…

Did you pull an Alex Levinson?

Cordoba.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Cordoba.

Let me just say there were a couple of poorly driven, overweight, underpowered ( at least in my case)  American cars behaving in ways that are unbecoming of Sundays fine motorcar racing event .

Cordoba

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
fiasco wrote:

Don't you have a cage in that already?

In fact I do. I have an engine mocked up in the engine bay too. But I never got past that point. Getting married, buying a house, spending the last year trying to renovate the garage to make it into a useful workshop (which is not done), the car has taken a back seat, which is fine.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

18 (edited by dungeonracer 2021-10-26 03:35 PM)

How'd everyone else's weekend go? Better than ours I hope. Share your stories.

Well, ok!!!!!!!

Team Lonesome Valley ran a 91 Jetta. This year we had 4 drivers, with one being his 1st time racing at Lemons.
We had 2 goals for the weekend. Finish in the top 40, and get past 400 laps.

Testing on Friday went good overall, with the only issue being we couldn't get the car to rev past 4500 without it sputtering. Tried all kinds of things, checking grounds, found a broken wire to the alternator, changed fuel filter, etc... Nothing cured the problem. So we decided we would just have to do more shifting.

Despite always being one of the slowest cars out there (lap time wise), the car has always been placed in the B class.
This year, we came prepared. We brought 2 dozen whoopie pies for the bribe. We ended up with Mental Ward for the BS judge, and after a bit of haggling, we were given the choice to stay in B, or drop to C with 8 penalty laps. We chose C.

The potluck supper was awesome. I never got who made the pizza, but have to say it was probably the best pizza I ever tasted. And the beer was good too...lol

Saturday's race went smooth, with no real issues to be concerned about. Our rookie driver did an outstanding job for his 1st time. We finished the day 28th overall. Yeah, we were happy about that. lol We checked over the car, checked out the trivia game (didn't play) and chatted with some of the Gain Ruins the Championship team (great guys) before heading home (we live about 7 miles from the track).

Sunday's race presented a new challenge. We were still shifting at 4500, but the car would randomly just shut off. Sometimes when you hit a bump, sometimes when you were just shifting. We would have to turn the ignition key to off, then turn the car back on. It would always fire right back up. We were worried there would be a time it wouldn't, but it made it to the end.
Good thing, cuz we were having a great battle with the #19 and #29, with the 3 of us always being within 4-5 laps of each other. #19 lost a brake line towards the end, and we were left trying to catch the #29, Elmo's Revenge 2. They ran a great race, and so we ended up 2nd in class C, 21st overall with 471 laps. So yeah, we achieved both of our goals by a long ways... For only our 3rd race, we certainly have nothing to complain about.

On a side note, we shared a center garage bay (#9) with the Brooklyn Bombers (#46). It seemed like everyone around us had problems during the race. #447 lost a radiator, #46 broke a front hub. #90 came in on a flat bed, #113 lost a tire, and #16 came in several times on the hook. Further down, #53 had to fix their car after being hit, and #39 didn't fare much better. Yet, they all were fun to be around the whole time. It was great to be within this group of competitors.

Can't wait til next year..... smile

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51631829303_9137f96a5c_k.jpg

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

19 (edited by carterc 2021-10-26 04:28 PM)

How did it go.  Well......we  (Missing Lug Nuts #762 Eclipse) managed to break a water pump on the very first lap on Saturday, although it took us some time to determine that to be the issue.  Ultimately loaded it up and went back to a friend's shop 45 minutes away to do the change, as we didn't nearly have the resources to do it at the track.  Normally, with the Eclipse engine placement being what it is, this is not an in-car operation, but with jacks, several pry bars and some Michelob hydraulic fluid the troops managed to change it and get back to the track by 9:00 PM.  Time to grill (yup, we left *all* the food at the track) and an adult beverage before trying again Sunday morning.  Then we lost 2nd gear, then developed an odd stalling issue, and finally exploded a caliper Sunday afternoon.  That finally put us out of our self-inflicted misery. 

So the short answer to 'How did it go?'.   About the same as always.  Good times, though.

Here's my race report to the team and the Squidaholics. We had a couple complaints about our driving this weekend and don't want to be "that" team.  Sorry if we stepped on our (or your) dicks.  We will do better next race.  pm me if ya have a complaint as we don't want this to represent who we are.  Trying to nip "t
his" in the bud.  thanks

Greetings Squidiacs!
                                     Here’s what happened at our last and final race of this season.  Thursday on the way to the track, I lost cylinder #6 in my street car.  Not a good way to start the race weekend.  Now I have no choice but to pull the motor.  Which will finally allow me to upgrade Petra’s engine by adding a turbo charger.  VROOM!  VROOM! When life gives ya Lemons!

Fridays practice was going well until I had a difficult time getting the car into 5th gear.  The shifter linkage eventually broke, but we were able to repair it thanks to Flatball Racing loaning us there TIG welder.  Lemons teams are the best!  I had asked the team and our “fans” to wear Batman themed attire for this race.  Gordon (Inspector Gordon), Bob (Old Batman’s father), Patty (Harley Quinn), Paul (Batman), Linda (Batwoman), joined Tim Cole (Joker), John (Baine), Paul (Robbin), and me (Batman) all in costume.  We drove the bat trike with trailer along with Beulah to tech and the whole place seemed to enjoy the effort.   Thanks team!!!  Later in the practice session an exhaust hanger broke, which led to a broken header…  Off to Paul’s garage/lift Beulah went.  We quickly made the repairs, and were back at the track in time for our lobster and steamer dinner!   Everyone at dinner sang Happy Birthday to me (56th) and we enjoyed the huge Batman cake Maureen brought.
We got really lucky having those things break during practice and not in the race.

Saturday started with me in the car for the first session.  After 2hrs. and 20 minutes we were in an unbelievable 2nd place! We swapped drivers and added fuel.  Paul rejoined the track in 11th place.  He brought the car back in and we were in 3rd place!!!  There were 117 cars racing this weekend.  We were doing great!  After more fuel, John hopped behind the wheel and was in 5th, he bounced around between 4th and 7th most of his stint, with 15 minutes left in the day, he was a solid 5th place.  I knew we all had been driving hard but John literally drove the wheel off of Beulah.  Yes, we lost a rear wheel in turn 2 due to 4 broken wheel studs. John kept the car from hitting anything and we ended the day in 19th position.  “The Batmobile lost a wheel, and the Joker got away!” 

Saturday night we enjoyed Paul’s delicious steak tip dinner.  After which the repairs to Beulah began. Studs were needed and Squidrope Racing happens to be loaded with studs! Yuk yuk.  The wheel studs were being replaced when I looked over to see Gordon pinching his nose to stop the bleeding.  The wrench he was tightening the studs with suddenly broke, and so did Gordons nose when it smashed into Beulah’s rear fender. Ouch!   After the repairs we played Lemons trivia (3rd place).  It was now time to stroll the paddock. Hot tubs, skid carts, and carved foot long bottle opener in the shape of a penis.  What a night!

Smiling Johnnies World Famous Waffles filled our bellies, and Paul started behind the wheel.  He brought us from 19th to 14th.   When John took over the driving cuties he was in 16th and maintained that position.  My turn to try and get us up to our goal of a top ten finish.  I pushed a bit harder than our normal “drive the race like it’s a practice session” motto. It was pedal to the metal time.  Unrestrained, I was able to set the teams fastest time (1:25.666).  Beulah was flying and I was having a great time trying to get us in the top ten.  We finished 12th.  Not bad considering we lost 15 minutes due to the wheel coming off Saturday, and the 3 black flags we received Sunday.

The story doesn’t end there.  We still had to support/cheer our fellow racers, corner workers, and Lemons staff.  Squidrope Racing did it’s best.  As did our Tifosi.  We were rewarded for all the work everyone affiliated with our team did.  We received our second Lemons trophy.  This time it was the “Judges Choice” award.  We didn’t win the race, but we did win the judges hearts!  Thanks so much, and we’re all looking forward to next seasons adventures. 

Squiddles,
                  Keith    a.k.a. -Batman

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Well, we somehow managed to avoid any absolutely catastrophic issues with the Lancia, which was pretty shocking.  We ran out of gas at the end of the day Saturday, but at least now we know the fuel gauge is kinda almost accurate, which is helpful.  Sunday, we lost a wheel when all 4 lug bolts backed out (!), somehow not damaging the threads in the hub.  The lower ball joint nut sacrificed itself for the greater good of the brake rotor, which was very kind of it.  Thankfully that was a pretty quick repair, and we had a spare wheel to slap on.  Later on we got tapped, gouged a nice groove in the sidewall of the tire, and I did my best pininfarina impression with the biggest hammer we had to give us some more fender clearance.  And then, with a couple hours left on Sunday, the starter stopped starting the car.  Classic.  At least we weren't the ones who really needed my welder.  All in all, not too shabby for our second race!

https://i.imgur.com/dBBqN1N.jpeg

1977 Lancia Scorpion

chaase wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Cordoba.

I don't think anyone can Cordoba themselves better then I can big_smile

a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila.

All Rhodes Racing and the Orange E30 #595 had a decent race. We had an issue with the car coming back in to the pits with no belt on the front of the engine. That took a little to get all fixed, and cost us many spots. Otherwise Saturdays was clean. Sunday we got a couple of flags.

Then with 30 minutes left in the day I went out on track. That was my first drive in a race, and only my second time on track at pace (The first was Friday). So my apologies to all of you out there. I ended up holding up Alex, but he just wouldn't hit me. HEHEHE

DungeonRacer, I think I was chasing you guys around for a part of that 30 minutes.

And thanks all for coming to the potluck. I was the one making the pizzas.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

fitsbain wrote:

All Rhodes Racing and the Orange E30 #595 had a decent race. We had an issue with the car coming back in to the pits with no belt on the front of the engine. That took a little to get all fixed, and cost us many spots. Otherwise Saturdays was clean. Sunday we got a couple of flags.

Then with 30 minutes left in the day I went out on track. That was my first drive in a race, and only my second time on track at pace (The first was Friday). So my apologies to all of you out there. I ended up holding up Alex, but he just wouldn't hit me. HEHEHE

DungeonRacer, I think I was chasing you guys around for a part of that 30 minutes.

Those Pizzas were darn good !....I'm getting one of those oven gizmos....but It won’t taste the same ...never does....

Cordoba

25 (edited by Somebody 2021-10-27 04:38 PM)

fitsbain wrote:

Hahaha, I'll remember to give you Surprise Bittsecks next time

Wish I knew it was you out there, would have been much better!

a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila.