Topic: 1993 Saab 900 TURBO - Caged race car - $500 - Chicago, IL

"Ran when parked". Hasn't run a race in about 7 years.

Professionally built cage (Midnight Hot Rods in WI) with a rust patina. Log book from ChumpCar. Has parts in it from former Lemons Saab race cars (yes that's plural), a Mustang, and an Evo, along with various other racing related goodies and improvements. This car lived outside in the mild climate of Chicago since it was parked, so you know it's a real cream puff. The donor chassis lived in California before becoming an endurance race car.

Things I'm quite sure it needs to run and pass tech: transmission, battery, tires, driver belts, new lexan windows, recharge fire extinguisher system, gasoline.

Things I have that you can have if you buy this race car: several broken engines, several bad transmissions, many wheels, about 15 alternators, several intercoolers, APCs, ECUs, probably enough parts to build 1.5 900s from scratch. Also all the parts for rebuilding an engine (already machined, just needs assembly... and maybe some more machining to remove surface rust).

Immediate discounts if you promise to turn it into a RWD race car.

Add banter below, send me a private message, or text me at seven oh ate, eight zero five, five naught two four.

Classic Saab 900 Turbo #91
2012 Showroom-Shlock: 30th?

Re: 1993 Saab 900 TURBO - Caged race car - $500 - Chicago, IL

Is one of the original cars the red and very wrinkly 900 Turbo that may have had some electrical fire? I remember that car vaguely. There were several Saabs in Lemons around this era, would be great to see one of them (or several of them in one of them) back on the track.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

There were several Saabs in Lemons around this era, would be great to see one of them (or several of them in one of them) back on the track.

Alas, mine has been reduced to daily-driver duties of late. I think my colleagues are impressed, although perhaps not in a favorable sense.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51539214093_a7df39f6f3_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP

therood wrote:

Is one of the original cars the red and very wrinkly 900 Turbo that may have had some electrical fire? I remember that car vaguely. There were several Saabs in Lemons around this era, would be great to see one of them (or several of them in one of them) back on the track.

Indeed! We had a minor electrical fire (on our fuel pump wires... right above the fuel tank) at a Showroom-Shlock event. The red car died an honorable death at Road America in a not surprising manner (for Road America): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haT0lfwgx8g

@mharrell your daily has a beautiful patina! The MB looks like it's trying to stay away in case rust is contagious smile

Classic Saab 900 Turbo #91
2012 Showroom-Shlock: 30th?

any pics??
thanks