Topic: Cage: estimate of linear feet of tubing needed

I'm estimating a minimum of two sticks (stick=20'), likely 3 is more in line with needs for a sedan like an E46, yes?

Maybe only two for a generic coupe, like an SC400?

Then extra for practice; though I have several hundred pounds (feet) of used, short length,  1" tubing I can cut up to practice with.

By about what percent am I underestimating?

Re: Cage: estimate of linear feet of tubing needed

I like a 20 footer plus at least 40 more feet in 10 footers. The 20 is for the main hoop. If you do a front hoop, you need at least one more of those.

That guy

Comprehensive and succinct; perfect - thanks!

4 (edited by zakp73 2021-11-04 08:27 PM)

I put a cage in a sedan that includes driver and passenger Nascar bars. About 45-50 feet if I recall.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

Thanks, zakp73!

If you have never installed a cage, just pay to have it done.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I do cages, I budget for 60-70' for a generic car.  If you are new, you should count on getting a couple of bends incorrect and then having to repurpose that bar.  A lot of linear feet comes from how far back the main hoop sits in car - basically the distance from the A to B pillars.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

First cage I did we got 100ft. Didn't use it all but used more than I thought we would. I messed up a down bar or two and you wind up with pieces that aren't usable because they're too short after creating other bars. Now I have a little extra just in case I need it for something else.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

We used 80ft for a small car. I screwed up a couple bends and wasted some.

It was the first cage we've done. I'm not an experienced fabricator. Lots of practice on tube before we did the welds. Lots of upside down practice. Lots of cutting them apart and acid etching to see what the penetration was like. We did a mockup in CAD as well as on paper. We passed tech without issues and they said the cage looked really nice. You *can* do it yourself if you take your time. It took us a long time. It's more economical to pay a shop if you value your time at anything more than like $1/hr.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9