Topic: Should I bring my kid?

I'm thinking of running the Rust Belt Ramble in 22.  I have an 86 Pontiac Parisienne that my uncle kept in his garage forever.  I told my wife about the rally, and she's in.  Our kid is 4, and he seems excited about it too.  Obviously we're not going to buy him any beers or let him drive.  Is this event kid friendly or at least kid tolerant?  Have other people brought kids and had an ok experience?  It'll be our first rally.

Re: Should I bring my kid?

As long as the long car rides don't bother him, go for it. Not the first kid to go on a rally.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

roggesound wrote:

I'm thinking of running the Rust Belt Ramble in 22.  I have an 86 Pontiac Parisienne that my uncle kept in his garage forever.  I told my wife about the rally, and she's in.  Our kid is 4, and he seems excited about it too.  Obviously we're not going to buy him any beers or let him drive.  Is this event kid friendly or at least kid tolerant?  Have other people brought kids and had an ok experience?  It'll be our first rally.

We've had a lot of people bring kids; it generally seems to go pretty well, I think?

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
roggesound wrote:

We've had a lot of people bring kids; it generally seems to go pretty well, I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tr9Ncoo-yw

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Brilliant!

6 (edited by dungeonracer 2021-10-19 04:05 PM)

OMFW!!! You could have at least warned us about what we were going to see... :lol

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

Thanks for the replies!  Seems like we'll give it a go with the boy.

There was a family of four in an LTD wagon that did Rust Belt Ramble, and those kids were fairly young.  I think one of them was around 4.  They had a great time.  I'm bringing my girl friend's 11-year-old with me on RFM to help handle navigation duties.  He'll be my hands and eyes while I'm driving.  I'll be telling him exactly what to look up and what to plug into google maps.  Basically, he'll be a human voice-nav system.   But it'll be fun to have him along.

roggesound wrote:

Thanks for the replies!  Seems like we'll give it a go with the boy.

Check the rally rules, though.  Rule #2.2 has a link to a minor waiver form that must be printed, filled out, signed, and turned in along with all other paperwork at registration.  It is also advisable to add kids as non-driving team members on your registration page.  That way there's a record of them being along should anything happen.

My daughter, that did RBR '21 with me, and other daughter are considering branching out and doing RBR '22 on their own. "Other daughter" has a toddler that will be 1.75 years old in July.
As someone else stated, if the kid is a good car rider, go for it. I would suggest many stops along the way. Because, once that tantrum train comes off the tracks, it's tough to get back on.

Start 'em young. Instill that wanderlust early.

Jim T, Chief Check Writer @Granny Motorsports (@granny_motorsports on the instagram machine)

'77 Ford Granada (Have you driven a Ford lately?)
28th place-'22 Rust Belt Ramble

11 (edited by The Hooptie Garage 2022-01-12 09:40 AM)

Jimnayzum wrote:

Because, once that tantrum train comes off the tracks, it's tough to get back on.

Hence, the real reason Benadryl was invented... big_smile

I grew up taking long road trips, my folks leaving 'burban Detroit for two weeks and driving at least two days to get anywhere that wasn't home. The Rockies, the Laurentians, even south to Tejas or southwest looping through Arid-zona wasn't out of the question.  So I'm used to it. My better half, though, doesn't do road trips well.  My youngest does, and I only started taking her on long road trips after she graduated high school. If she can get time off from work, she might be my co-driver on an upcoming Lemons Rally...our first, as it were.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

Hells yeah!