1 (edited by MZAVARIN 2021-11-15 04:41 PM)

Topic: frame repair?----Boston area ?

Looking for a place that has a frame pulling set up for my Lemons car.  ?South of Boston, but I would be willing to travel further, almost anywhere if there is hope!!
all the places that I have tried, decline with a smirk on their face...or look like they are trying hard not to roll their eyes...
nothing major, front driver side frame rail is bent a bit downward and toward the rear, so the driver side engine mount is not where it is supposed to be...

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: frame repair?----Boston area ?

The only luck we ever had finding a willing frame machine was a small independent guy *cash*

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

yup, seems like if you have any frame damage at all, in Lemons, you are most likely done....
but it has not started snowing yet, so I still have some time to call around, and tow the car...

We usually end up pulling things straight with trucks and trees and portapowers and things like that, have done it for several of our cars to keep them going.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

5 (edited by MZAVARIN 2021-11-14 11:15 PM)

genius!

I started looking at some Youtube videos, trying to get some ideas
I pulled a bit with our Honda Pilot, but it could only do the thinner stuff
Problem is that the front, driver side frame rail was bent slightly downward, and kind of buckled...
There are some holes for chains but it would need to be pulled up.
I tried hanging the car on the engine hoist, but that did not work...
I can't think of a way to pull "up" ...or "down"
and since the left engine mount is attached from the frame rail to the engine on the side, the engine mount is now not horizontal, but bent downward on the frame rail

it really does not look too bad
and I really don't want to do another build, solo....since swapping a carbureted automatic car to a manual fuel injected car took me the whole COVID season, and I was way over my head...and otherwise the car runs great....

We usually end up pulling things straight with trucks and trees and portapowers and things like that, have done it for several of our cars to keep them going.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

would the Godzilla Honda be one of those? smile

Mike, a big tree helps to get things straight again smile

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

Can you chain the car down to the engine hoist legs and then pull up on the bent frame rail?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Sonic wrote:

That is what we did with our 84 Trans Am. Worked fine. Went on to race the car for another 2 years. No issues.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

dungeonracer wrote:

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

would the Godzilla Honda be one of those? smile

Mike, a big tree helps to get things straight again smile

Several times.  Once at the track even.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

cheseroo wrote:

Can you chain the car down to the engine hoist legs and then pull up on the bent frame rail?

good idea! might work. I"ll try.

Otherwise, I just got the name of a small place in Tolland, Connecticut that might help, and only 2 hour drive from me
Although a guy with a local garage said he could do it, but he is booked for the next 3 months, so January at the earliest....for approx. $4 or 5 hundred...might be worth it for a quality job, compared to me tying it to trees and probably spending close to that much on Harbor Freight pulling equipment...

and I could probably still make it to the Pittsburgh race!  I just need to clean out my garage (so "my wife could park there") for a place to work on the car

decisions, decisions...and the cross piece with the engine mount is pushed back only approx. 1cm
Photos (before)....hopefully (after) will look better

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/1716539154366994/large/1637019530/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render/00-s5g-4hX2f2QpSA8Bn5UveBUJD_N_ywpQTbI6Xv-TbI8maANq09hlgTRXpoRQHO92VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1637019461

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/1716539445871094/large/1637019662/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/1716539148828837/large/1637019605/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/1716539099513025/medium/1637019512/enhance

MZAVARIN wrote:

genius!

I started looking at some Youtube videos, trying to get some ideas
I pulled a bit with our Honda Pilot, but it could only do the thinner stuff
Problem is that the front, driver side frame rail was bent slightly downward, and kind of buckled...
There are some holes for chains but it would need to be pulled up.
I tried hanging the car on the engine hoist, but that did not work...
I can't think of a way to pull "up" ...or "down"
and since the left engine mount is attached from the frame rail to the engine on the side, the engine mount is now not horizontal, but bent downward on the frame rail

it really does not look too bad
and I really don't want to do another build, solo....since swapping a carbureted automatic car to a manual fuel injected car took me the whole COVID season, and I was way over my head...and otherwise the car runs great....

Anyone you know have a flat bet tow truck? Tie it down good, get some big chunks of wood to place under the "frame" to keep it from squatting when pulling, then figure out how to get the winch to do your deeds. Alternately, open car trailers work great, use the trailer frame to anchor the car and use a floor jack to push the frame rail up.

Or, like many others, we have used whatever we got (when not in possession of a flatbed tow truck)

https://youtu.be/kXhKAT0rEZ8

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

You guys are fancy... we have someone gear up, strap into the car, and do a brake stand. Then we use straps tied to our tow vehicle and drive and yank at spots. Neighbors love it, really classes up the neighborhood.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Mike, I am a bigger fan of getting a clip from a junkyard and replacing the bent section. It involves cutting out the bad and welding in the new. Not quite as hard as it sounds. Heck, the engine has to stay running on what you work on most of the time! You should be fine with this!
Manny

Sonic wrote:

There may or may not be video of a Ford explorer and a Cadillac SRX playing tug of war with a Saturn at Thompson a number of years ago.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

@MarioKart racing. Aren't you the guys that pegged the front of your Honda into the back of the "Team mean and mechanics" Integra in New Hampshire after the race was over? Kind of humorous at this moment. Their team includes a professional frame guy, have a frame machine in CT and have done great work pulling multiple Lemons cars for themselves and others. Might be worth kissing and making up.

Lol this is team mean and we are getting our car pulled on a frame machine. One of our drivers  owns an awesome body that has fixed many a Lemons car.  But they are so damn busy that even we have to wait till new years to get frame machine time

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/57/07/7F61273C-7991-4A5D-A881-663E45FD6311/IMG_8468.heic

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/68/08/0BCB1120-5FD5-4D48-905A-8C43A29092D1/IMG_7700.jpeg

We GOT plowed

rwood3:

I suggest you open an account on postimages.org (so that you can control the images after posting, and it's free) and upload your media there.

I use the "Hotlinks for Forums" code in my posts (the format of which you can see if you quote this post):

https://s5.postimg.cc/x8p337tzr/20180523_171723.jpg