Topic: Fuel line suggestions

Howdy, we've got the engine and transmission out of the truck now, and thinking this may be a good time to replace some rusty fuel lines.  Recommendations on getting standard steel replacement type or have you had experience with another type that has worked well?  I see these braided lines everywhere online, but wonder about the inner rubber hose holding up to temps?

Thanks!

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Re: Fuel line suggestions

what is your build going to be? Stock or upgrade? If it is stockish than factory steel is all you need, and stay away from rubber/braided as much as you can, The 10% eithy kills the rubber. On a side note, while the engine is out, get it on a stand and go thru the bottom end and replace the timing chain and gears.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Thanks, good to know, it's definitely stock-ish class C.  We're just going from 4 cyl to v6, but had to pull trans too bc that one only mounts to the 4 cyl. 

We might just rebuild the 4, for no reason other than we've never done one.

95 Chevy S-10

Tech really would like you to use solid lines as much as you can. Meaning if the run was solid from the factory, try to replace with similar. Soft lines degrade and you really should inspect them often and replace as you see them start to get attacked by the ethanol. Might be worth checking if you can just buy OEM style pre-bent lines and make your replacement journey easy. Or get a roll of generic metal line and spend the day making new ones.

Anything that was a soft line from the factory is fine to replace with soft line again.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Sounds fine to me, we'll  go with the stock steel ones.  Fortunately there are a lot of pre bent options out there for these trucks. Thanks!

95 Chevy S-10

Stock steel likes are fine.In our newer cars, we've started using the new OE style nylon-type line when making connections to fuel cells and stuff like that.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

7 (edited by stankinator 2022-01-05 04:30 PM)

I replaced all the fuel (and brake) lines except for one in my car with nickel-copper alloy (it goes by all sorts of names including nicopp and cunifer). If you have any concerns about corrosion that's what I'd use - and it's a lot easier to work with than steel as well.

That said, if you can get pre-bent lines only in steel, it's probably worth using those for not having to bend them yourself, especially if they come with fittings already on the ends. My stock lines suffered 27 years of abuse, and as bad as they looked, they still didn't leak.