1 (edited by jonwatkins 2021-12-04 07:38 PM)

Topic: At Sonoma in search of a VW Rabbit/Caddy turbo/manifold.

Blew a turbo on a VW Rabbit 1.6L diesel mk1.  Turns out all the pick n pulls in NorCal close at night.  Anyone know of any magic rocks we might look under?  We're from out of town, so our Rolodex is coming up a bit short.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: At Sonoma in search of a VW Rabbit/Caddy turbo/manifold.

Is that a T3/T4 turbo like on the D24T? If so, wander over to #745 or some other turbo volvo. I'm not there, but somebody brought a spare turbo...

That guy

3 (edited by DirtyDuc 2021-12-04 08:06 PM)

optionally, take the guts out of the turbo and run it NA.

white pine has a good torque spec and can be used as a spacer as long as EGT's aren't too high.

That guy

4 (edited by jonwatkins 2021-12-04 08:09 PM)

Thanks for the reply!  Really appreciate the help.  Also not at the race, so I'll let the guys know.  We're the yellow Caddy truck, #181.Sounds like at T3 could work?  If not, it wouldn't be the first midnight turbo delete for this rig.  Love the white pine suggestion smile

5 (edited by DirtyDuc 2021-12-04 08:21 PM)

I run a Porsche... white pine and diesel conversions are par for the course.

Sonoma is just too far from here to help other than with bad advice.

That guy

What kind of turbo?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Sounds like we have a funky trapezoidal flange.  Not sure if I can post external links here, but here's to trying.  From afar, it sounds like we're dealing with some shape like this:
https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-turbo- … 23861.html

So white pine may indeed be the way to go, EGT's permitting of course.  It's just mushy enough...