Topic: Anyone have C5 Corvette Build Roll Cage advice (or other advice)?

Hello - fellow citrus racers - I found a potential smashy smash Z06 C5 corvette I'd like to race at Lemons.

I'm not a welder, so was hoping (wondering) if there are any options for bolt in cages which may pass Lemons tech for this model of car?

Any other experience / advice on C5 corvettes (or pointers of course) is greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Re: Anyone have C5 Corvette Build Roll Cage advice (or other advice)?

From the rules:
"3.5.1     General Rollbar and Structure... Cages originally created as bolt-ins are not allowed"

I read that to mean no bolt-in cages will pass tech. It can't even be a welded-together bolt-in.

That guy

Yea I saw that, I was hoping they could be welded to save time.

Any chance there are folks who can pre build parts that I could then minimally weld and assemble for a C5?

I think you will want to go the custom cage route for that car.  You will need every bit of space you can get which means tight against the body.  Bigger sedans and such you can get by with an off the shelf cage but helmet room is going to be an issue on a Corvette.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

A quick google search turned up what appears to be a couple of probably Lemons-legal option... but it's got the Corvette tax already applied. Reports of custom cages come in near what those guys are asking just for a kit.

Just make sure whoever you have build your custom cage build it the Lemons way and not the "this is what passes in a "real" racing series" way they like to do cages.

C5 looks like less pain than C4.

That guy

6 (edited by chaase 2021-12-11 08:05 PM)

DirtyDuc wrote:

A quick google search turned up what appears to be a couple of probably Lemons-legal option... but it's got the Corvette tax already applied. Reports of custom cages come in near what those guys are asking just for a kit.

Just make sure whoever you have build your custom cage build it the Lemons way and not the "this is what passes in a "real" racing series" way they like to do cages.

C5 looks like less pain than C4.

I’ve never caged a C4 but a C5 has issues caging. I owned a high HP one that I was going to cage for racing. I ran in a Corvette only drag racing series with a C5. I know the cars very well. I decided against caging it and just didnt go as far with HP mods. The best location for the back stays is not a legal mount point even though some will use it. I would also be very scared of any C5 that can be had for Lemons money, especially a Z06 as they have held their value very well.

If you really want to go down this path. Post your location. If you are in the north east I know of a couple of shops that can build correctly. May know places in other parts of the country as well

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

How smashed? If there is a bunch of frame damage it will never be right. If it is just "glass" you might be ok. You'd likely have to cut the top off, those things are pretty low.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Oye, getting our C4 caged was a PITA.  Especially with a pair of 6 foot drivers on the team.  We gutted the car to the bone to get all the tubes inside it and legal and even then we had to ask Pagel for a few options/clarifications. 

Honestly, I think having the car caged by a pro is the best option for you.  I know thats going to cost more, but its well worth it if you don't have the skills for said cage.

Lemons WILL turn you away if the cage is no good.

As far as other advice for a C5.   Honestly I doubt it would need much help!  Make sure your theme is on point ;-)

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Agree, do not skimp on the cage. You do not want to be one of those people who have to rip it out and thrash all friday night to build a new one. It happens more than I think it should. Cages can be rejected for a number of reasons, from bad bends, bad welds, or bad fitment to the car. If you are not comfortable bending/welding then either pay a shop, or find a team local to you that's willing to help you out.

I'll also ask, how smashed is smashed? Rules require that you have OE crash structure, if that's obliterated, probably not worth it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

10 (edited by chaase 2021-12-12 10:15 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Agree, do not skimp on the cage. You do not want to be one of those people who have to rip it out and thrash all friday night to build a new one. It happens more than I think it should. Cages can be rejected for a number of reasons, from bad bends, bad welds, or bad fitment to the car. If you are not comfortable bending/welding then either pay a shop, or find a team local to you that's willing to help you out.

I'll also ask, how smashed is smashed? Rules require that you have OE crash structure, if that's obliterated, probably not worth it.

Make sure you can fit in it as well. Like most fiberglass/composite cars, you can't mount anything to the floor. You will need to use the factory seat mount locations. The upside is that its a pretty roomy interior but once you start adding the main hoop and door bars, the space will disappear quickly. The C5 floor is basically balsa wood wrapped in a plastic/composite. You can't rely on it for anything. Every single bar mount has to go to the frame or another bar.

You also need to be very careful working in the area behind the seats. The gas tanks live there. I've seen people try to mount things to that cross beam and put a hole in one of their tanks.If I were to build ones for Lemons, I would try to put in a fuel cell if possible. The dual tanks can have issues with delivery. The fuel pump delivers fuel to the engine and uses a siphon effect to pull from the other tank.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

11 (edited by chaase 2021-12-12 10:27 AM)

Another item to worry about during disassembly is the console area. I don't recall if its in the console itself or the center stack, but there are roll, pitch and yaw sensors for the traction system in that area.

12 (edited by chaase 2021-12-12 03:10 PM)

One other item about the traction system, the car has different diameter wheels front and back. That overall height difference needs to be maintained or you will get codes/errors

chaase wrote:

One other item about the traction system, the car has different diameter wheels front and back. That overall height difference needs to be maintained or you will get codes/errors

They could just go to a painless wiring kit and do away with all of that.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

14 (edited by chaase 2021-12-28 08:48 AM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:
chaase wrote:

They could just go to a painless wiring kit and do away with all of that.

It might be cheaper/easier finding a tuner to see if it can be disabled in the ECM or, you know just running the right size tires 8-). I would also consider adding  the skip shift/CAGS delete to the list of things to buy. It's not required but being forced to shift from 1st to 4th in the pits, during yellows, etc gets really annoying.

Ask John Pagel. He is king of all things safety related. Also a cage builder.

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023