Topic: Transceiver questions

How do the transceivers work? By that i mean do you rent them? can you buy them outright from someone online? do they need external power (this is the main question)? is it track specific?

2 (edited by Team Infinniti 2021-12-16 06:19 AM)

Re: Transceiver questions

SgtLine wrote:

How do the transceivers work? By that i mean do you rent them? can you buy them outright from someone online? do they need external power (this is the main question)? is it track specific?

Scoring Transponders are available for rent, they are internally battery powered and already charged/ready to use upon rental, they are not track specific and can be bought online as battery or car powered.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

You can always rent them. Make sure the option is checked on your signup (it will be by default), and pickup friday when  you're doing your gear check and getting a driver's band.

Yes you can buy your own, but the current gen of transponders are a subscription based thing (like so many things are these days for no reason), though it does look like they added a subscription free option again finally. https://speedhiveshop.mylaps.com/tr2-tr … r-car.html

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Ok if the are battery powered that's good, just trying to figure out my wiring plans redoing all the wiring in my car from scratch.

They are available from the manufacturer both battery or hardwire powered.  The rental ones from Lemons are all battery powered.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Make sure you secure it well and in the correct location

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

cheseroo wrote:

They are available from the manufacturer both battery or hardwire powered.  The rental ones from Lemons are all battery powered.

We had two hardwired transponders go kaput last weekend. It seems like hardwiring introduces some kind of problems, potentially, but YMMV.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

We had two hardwired transponders go kaput last weekend. It seems like hardwiring introduces some kind of problems, potentially, but YMMV.

Likely wired up by former GM engineers in charge of al things wiring from 1985-1999...or the engineer that designed the GMT600 stepper motors in the instrument clusters.

therood wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Also remember that collectively we could manage to screw up a rock fight.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)