Topic: Are any of the 2022 races going to be 24 hour long races

I quite enjoyed the 24 hour race I attended last year at CMP.  Are any 2022 races (especially in the south east) going to run the 24 hour long race ?

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Re: Are any of the 2022 races going to be 24 hour long races

So far looks like only the Fall race at HPR

Nuts.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Historically it's been about 1 race a year is a full 24. Sometimes 2. A full 24 is exponentially harder on staff, and there are limitations on which tracks will even allow them. Plus it seems that there is a split between teams that really enjoy them and those that loathe them, so it can often affect turnout at that race. That's why it's almost never the same race 2 years in a row.

Still never been to one, maybe someday, I want to say I've done it once and cross it off the list.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I think the fall HPR race has been the 24 for a few years running. There's been two races a year there for a while, and they have a fancy light-up flagging system so you can actually allegedly* see flags at night.

*I was wrenching all night at my only race there.

That guy

6 (edited by That_Noise_Is_Normal 2021-12-22 08:31 AM)

Definitely a goal of ours!  Wonder if we'll have to trek to Colorado (fine, and prob fun) or if any chance they'll have one closer to us (Indiana) in future years.  Gingerman has the quiet hour on Sun so I assume they won't do a 24, right?   Does Joliet ever have one?

I drive by IMS on the way to work every day, so I'll pop in and ask Roger Penske if he will host one there, prob slip him $5 to grease the wheels on that idea.  :-)

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

One way that Lemons ran a race some years ago that I'd wish they try again was at Autobahn. Due to some issues of getting the track on Sunday they ran a race starting at 10 AM on Sat. and ran until 12 Midnight for a total of 14 hours.
It gave you the experience of racing into darkness like a 24 hour race but it wasn't as long so it avoided most of the issues that a 24 hour race has. Plus it gave teams all day Sunday to clean up and tow home.

Yeah, this will be the third year in a row where the fall HPR race is a 24. 

Glenn (HPR track manager) does a fantastic job making sure the on-track part of the race runs smoothly.  For the past 24 hour races he shifted the last test day session to be at night too to help teams adjust their lights and get a handle of racing in the dark. 

The LED flags work really well, both day and night.  The black flagging has been done via an old-fashioned white board. 

My team has run in both of the prior 24 hour races at HPR and plan to again in 2022 (though I'd prefer to take a break from midnight to 6AM if I can convince my drivers the sleep will be worth it).  Most of our drivers absolutely LOVE driving this track at night.

That_Noise_Is_Normal wrote:

I drive by IMS on the way to work every day, so I'll pop in and ask Roger Penske if he will host one there, prob slip him $5 to grease the wheels on that idea.  :-)

Funny this should come up.  Was chatting with someone last night about how Chumpcar took a $100k bath on their race there.  Apparently even Mr Penske was openly wondering why the hell they were even there.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Max wrote:

I stand corrected then, apologies for the wrong info, I must have missed that HPR is a repeat event lately.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Max wrote:

The LED flags work really well, both day and night.

You happen to have any video showing these?  Seems like a yet another great way to put LED technology to use.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

jimbbski wrote:

One way that Lemons ran a race some years ago that I'd wish they try again was at Autobahn. Due to some issues of getting the track on Sunday they ran a race starting at 10 AM on Sat. and ran until 12 Midnight for a total of 14 hours.
It gave you the experience of racing into darkness like a 24 hour race but it wasn't as long so it avoided most of the issues that a 24 hour race has. Plus it gave teams all day Sunday to clean up and tow home.

It was also a rehearsal for the following year when they did do a full 24 hours.

jimbbski wrote:

I think most of the 24 hour races had an option for either a 12 hour (Noon to midnight) or full 24.

I have done four 24s.  Love them.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Max wrote:

Glenn (HPR track manager) does a fantastic job making sure the on-track part of the race runs smoothly.  For the past 24 hour races he shifted the last test day session to be at night too to help teams adjust their lights and get a handle of racing in the dark. 

The LED flags work really well, both day and night.  The black flagging has been done via an old-fashioned white board. 

My team has run in both of the prior 24 hour races at HPR and plan to again in 2022 (though I'd prefer to take a break from midnight to 6AM if I can convince my drivers the sleep will be worth it).  Most of our drivers absolutely LOVE driving this track at night.

That track is well marked for night racing.  Braking zones, turn in, apex and turn out areas all had reflective tape.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

15 (edited by Max 2021-12-22 12:51 PM)

You happen to have any video showing these?  Seems like a yet another great way to put LED technology to use.

https://youtu.be/Oit_d3gJHu4 - skip to 24:20 and you can see a flashing yellow on the left. 

https://youtu.be/j5yKknC6i8o - the start of this year's spring HPR race.  Each station showed green when the race started. 

That track is well marked for night racing.  Braking zones, turn in, apex and turn out areas all had reflective tape.

https://youtu.be/q16FSQABaJY - a couple of night laps from the 2020 24 hour race.