Topic: Do I need an aftermarket steering wheel

I thought we could use the factory steering wheel and just remove the airbag. I don't see anything in the rule book saying we have to go aftermarket. Then I was watching ChrisFix's build and he mentioned needing to change out the wheel for safety reasons. I'm just doublechecking here.

Re: Do I need an aftermarket steering wheel

OEM is just fine, haven't seen ChrisFix's video so not sure the context of his comment. Remove the airbag, and consider putting a piece of foam in the resulting hole.

Sometimes a removable aftermarket wheel can make getting in and out of the car a lot easier, but that comes down to your specific car, and team, and cage design.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I have built one car that needed it for cage clearance. No way was that giant stock wheel fitting in that thing.

You do have to remove all airbags.

That guy

TheEngineer wrote:

OEM is just fine, haven't seen ChrisFix's video so not sure the context of his comment. Remove the airbag, and consider putting a piece of foam in the resulting hole.

Sometimes a removable aftermarket wheel can make getting in and out of the car a lot easier, but that comes down to your specific car, and team, and cage design.

/agree

The factory wheel is legal just get rid of the air bag.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

5 (edited by OnkelUdo 2022-01-04 06:00 PM)

The answer to your question will have more dimensions to it that you can currently fathom as your build progresses.  The stock steering wheel is legal and in many cases prefered IF it can work for ingress and egress as well as cage clearance...and this applies to everyone that will drive the car.

We have 2 cars of our 4 that has retained the stock wheel while the other 2 needed quick disconnect wheels for egress.  Our past 2 cars had the same split...it seems half need the QD and half do not.

FYI, ChrisFix did a better job than some youtube celeb's explaining Lemons but his is still a channel for entertainment so a few things were off.  His performance at the track matched many first time teams experience but he has not published anything on that...lets just say things did not go as he hoped.  Crushing disappointment is a part of budget endurance racing but with the right attitude, you will still ahve a BLAST!