Topic: New Team in the Chicago Area Looking to buy/rent a Car

Hope everyone in the Midwest is staying in good spirits as we roll in to February.

I have a team of four ready to jump into a Lemons race this year (Gingerman or ABCC). We are all experienced HPDE drivers with reasonable wrenching skills, but know the best way for us to get a car to a Lemons grid this summer is to:
a) buy a proven Lemons car
b) rent a proven Lemons car

We are looking at all the recommended sources to buy a car, but thought the best and brightest here might know people in the midwest who have a car to sell or rent.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2 (edited by AT-JeffT 2022-01-31 03:07 PM)

Re: New Team in the Chicago Area Looking to buy/rent a Car

Hello,

Welcome.  Where in the Chicagoland area are you located?  There are a number of established Lemons teams in the area.  Let us know where your at and we can find a team close to you. 

As far as renting vs buying a car.  Both are far better options for a new team than building a car from the ground up.  If it were me, I would prefer buying a car rather than renting.  I think rental agreements are harder to come by.  There are lots of logistics that go along with renting that make a rental situation challenging. 

At a minimum, have a seasoned Lemons person accompany you to see whatever car you are considering buying.  This will help ensure you start with something that will at least get you on track.  I'm in Addison, IL and if you find something local, I'd certainly be willing to take a look.

Arrive and drive is probably a better option than renting a car but is functionally the same.  There are multi-car teams that are newbie friendly and would accept 4 arrive and drives. There's a specific team in mind that would be well setup to do this. They are based about 50min from the Chicago suburbs.  One of the team owners frequents the forum often, I'm sure he will introduce himself.  If he doesn't I'll reach out and make sure he sees your post.

bearaqua72 -

I'm going to guess from your non-specific request for a "proven race car" that you guys are open to anything.... but you might find your search more productive if you and your teammates put together a Wish List of your dream car, as a starting point, to help narrow down your choices. 

What are your team's preferences?  FWD or RWD?  Stick or slushbox?  Foreign or Domestic?  Old-school carb or FI?  Stone-cold-reliable or spend-half-the-race-weekend-on-jackstands?  For level of prep, are you looking for "barely passed tech at last race" or extremely well-sorted?  Do you want to run with the guys at the pointy end of the field (Class A) or putter around with the Simcas and Valiants in Class C, or play somewhere in the middle (Class B).   And probably the biggest limiting fact: What's your budget? (Because there's no such thing as a $500 Lemons race car!)

With all that said, our team's race car has seen literally one race in the last two years, and the team has moved on to other ventures.  The car, 1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6, has a long history with Lemons and over the last decade of racing has been tweaked and modified to be fast and driver-friendly. Its current configuration pays homage to the Alfa 155 raced in the DTM series.  It runs an all-aluminum 3.0L V6 that emits a glorious aria that makes women swoon and grown men weep. The 5-speed transaxle is the much-desired Platinum, refitted with a 4.56 ring gear. Brakes and cooling have all been upgraded. It won Overall once before and usually finishes top ten, she's got some deferred maintenance and is due for a long day at the spa.  Our Team HQ is in Glen Ellyn, but the 155 is currently resting in deep storage at one our teammate's buildings in the northern hinterlands.

Here's a pic: https://bangshift.com/assets/galleries/ … 680010.jpg

Lemme know if you're interested.  We can put together a spares package, and hook you up with the best Alfa mechanic in the Midwest.  Best to reach me by e-mail (dbesic at aol dot com) as I don't always check the forums.

Darren

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

4 (edited by OnkelUdo 2022-01-31 04:43 PM)

I suspect Jeff, the first to respond, was refering to me with Bad Decisions Racing.  We have 3 currently active cars and a new one debuting at Autobahn (most likely) so we could potentially be in the best position to "Rent" a race vehicle...in this case it would likely be the Dustbuster minivan...often described as "surprisingly capable" and it is very newbie friendly.  Not sure what you believe rental looks like and not sure we want to rent it but it could be an option.

To be clear what I mean by "not sure what you believe rental looks like", the only time we have rented out a vehicle it was to another team that blew up early.  They swapped their seat and belts over and went back out there in our Saturn.  I suspect you are looking at something more like the rental includes at the very least fueling items and tech support.  So figure out what rental looks like to you specifically around what it includes.

We do constantly consider selling the van but since we have like 1500#'s in spares without counting wheels, it starts to get complicated.  Add to that it is so far from stock at this point so trying to bed a new team in on the changes would be challenging.

OnkelUdo wrote:

I suspect Jeff, the first to respond, was refering to me with Bad Decisions Racing.

Your suspicions are correct.

Appreciate all the quick responses from the community. I'll try to answer the outstanding questions in order:
- the team has members in the city and SW burbs
- As for what we are looking for from a car, we would definitely put a premium on a well-sorted reliable ride. If that comes in the form of an 80s Oldsmobile or a manual Toyota Tercel...so be it.
- We expect that a car that fits or needs will cost at least $4k. Willing to pay more for the right car.
- We also understand a nicer well-sorted car will probably be a Class B or A car.

We do have the required personal safety equipment, and tools for changing brake pads, rotors, tires, etc (typical track day goodies).

I will reach out to those with possible vehicles directly.

Thanks again

I agree that arrive and drive is a good way to get started.  It's easier than buying or renting a car and you'll get experience with the logistics and general stupidity of Lemons.

Much like OnkelUdo, my team is generally always made up of arrive and drives and I enjoy bringing newbies onboard.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

chadadams59 wrote:

I agree that arrive and drive is a good way to get started.  It's easier than buying or renting a car and you'll get experience with the logistics and general stupidity of Lemons.

Much like OnkelUdo, my team is generally always made up of arrive and drives and I enjoy bringing newbies onboard.

Umm, I am not at all like you and fail in completely different ways.  Our only similarity is we have both had Owen destroy a car.

FYI, we are actually not usually arrive and drives as I have a core team BUT we can campaign two cars at once without it being huge undertaking  if Autobahn or Gingerman which is when we tend to fill the second car with 60% newbies.

OnkelUdo wrote:
chadadams59 wrote:

Umm, I am not at all like you and fail in completely different ways.  Our only similarity is we have both had Owen destroy a car.

F'ing Owen.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

9 hour drive each way.   This will cost you $2000 and a weekend.         https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … ?id=40555.

Good luck.
Bob

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo