Topic: Roll cage fab Alabama Georga Tennesse?

Anyone know of a shop that'll build a cage or sell DOM?
I haven't been able to find DOM here in Huntsville AL.

Keep the greasy down hosers.

Re: Roll cage fab Alabama Georga Tennesse?

I found 1.5x.120x 20' at Industrial Steel & Supply in Lewisburg TN at $8/ft.
Any thoughts on how much tubing will it take to do an RX7?

Don't worry, be crappy

3 (edited by chaase 2022-02-03 12:39 PM)

You can grab a measurement sheet from a company that sells pre-fabricated cages and use that to calculate what you'll need. The way economies of scale works, I would just go to a place like Roll Cage Components and have them send you a cage to install yourself.

When I looked at getting tubing for the Javelin, the costs of getting the metal was only slightly cheaper than having a pre-bent cage sent to me.A fair number of RX-7s have been done in these series that they may even have the measurements already there.  They actually had the measurements for a Javelin so nothing to do. I think I just told them to make certain bars, like the main hoop, a tad taller so we could get a tighter fit to the roof. You can always trim if needed.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

4 (edited by DirtyDuc 2022-02-03 03:10 PM)

I budget about 100 feet for a cage. I usually use less but I have MRS (multiple racecar syndrome), so the leftover just gets rolled into the next build.

I have Bend-Tech software now, so I'll likely get better estimates by measuring before buying.

That guy

5 (edited by helixhippie 2022-02-04 01:06 PM)

Good call on Roll Cage Components. Looks like a good option for me.
I'm good welder but then I won't need to buy a bender or notcher.

Thank you.

I think you'll still have to notch at least a few of the tubes.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

I think you'll still have to notch at least a few of the tubes.

notching can be done with a good hand grinder.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Try calling Mark Stewart at Kirk Racing Products in Mt. Olive, AL, near Birmingham. He does great work and is very familiar with Lemons (and Champ) cage spec requirements.