1 (edited by Passaable 2022-03-07 03:36 PM)

Topic: Tips for a 'Hot' HotSpot (cellular) at Sonoma and other tracks?

Hello - I would love to get our in-car streaming working, though we always seem to have trouble getting enough cell signal in the car around the tracks.

We've tried phones tethered in the car (AT&T, Google FI, T-Mobile).
We've also tried some cell booster things like WeBoost DriveReach https://www.weboost.com/products/drive- … ImEALw_wcB

So far, they all suck.

I've heard that Verizon has better coverage at tracks, and that something like the Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L with an antenna (recommendations??) *may* be a better options.

This map seems to indicate Verizon works best, though I'd love to hear any first hand experience. https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=311& … pe=roadmap

I know some of you folks have a pretty kick ass system. I'd love to hear what you are using to connect from your cars. to get streaming video working.

Any tips for cheap plans, pay as you go , etc are appreciated. We race maybe 6 - 8 times a year at most and would only use it for races.

The tracks we typically go to are west coast, would love to go to others, though these are likely the main ones.
- Sonoma
- Thunderhill
- Oregon Park Raceway.
- The Ridge, Shelton WA.

Thank YOU for considering sharing your experiences with us!!

Re: Tips for a 'Hot' HotSpot (cellular) at Sonoma and other tracks?

How much do you want to spend?  A business grade cellular router with external antenna would work best. Some allow multiple carrier SIMs at the same time.

I am trying a Cradlepoint cellular router at Sonoma next weekend with a T-Mobile SIM. 

Have you tried the 'Race Car Live Streaming Trial & Error' group on Facebook?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Re: Tips for a 'Hot' HotSpot (cellular) at Sonoma and other tracks?

I've used an 8800L with an external antenna at both Sonoma and Thunderhilll with Verizon. Good signal, but I believe my plan was not Priority 1 service. I recently changed to a business plan with Priority 1 data, and a used peplink max br1 lte-a (with the same antenna).

Was just at Buttonwillow for the first time with any setup and was able to fairly reliably stream to Twitch at about 3Mbps bitrate.

I do know for a fact that AT&T at Thunderhill is almost unusable on a phone for data.