Topic: Green Flag

There's some confusion (we're not very smart) about the beginning of the race. I know we line up in the pits and are guided out in single file onto trace and begin our parade lap. After everyone makes it out the green flag is waved at the start/finish line. Now does this green flag makes it a full course green or do we stay in single file until we pass the start/finish line THEN we go green.

Re: Green Flag

Full course green,no matter where you are on track.

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

So you can actually win/lose the race before you even pass the green!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Sometimes the corner workers will also wave green, but I mostly remembering them drop the yellow.  If you have radios you can tell your driver green is being waved at the tower.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

The yellow flag should be shown at all corners on the parade laps up until the green is waved at start/finish. At that point a call will go out to all corners that the track is green. All corners will then drop their yellow.  When a corner has no flag showing you can figure that the track is green. It's the same as when there is a full course yellow that then goes green again.

What everyone else has said.   

High Plains Raceway has fancy LED panels at each corner that all show green when the green flag is waived at the start line.

Thanks everyone for the answer. Can't wait to go to High Planes for the 24hr race this Sept

Worried about the green flag drop for a 24 hour race, amazing...

At 3am you'll wish they would throw out red flags so you can get some sleep...

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Last year at the 24 hr none of us were really able to sleep... we had sleep schedules planned out but none of us really took it. I fell asleep in a chair for about 10 minutes 21 hours into the race and immediately knocked out after the race like I was a recovering meth addict lol.

Needless to say, it was a blast! haha... if I can sucker my team into going again this year I'd be down to tow halfway across the US again for it.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

At sonoma some flaggers removed yellows and others showed green.  First race I had seen a green other than the start/finish.

KeiCarMike wrote:

Honestly it's a safety issue. If you don't get on it went everyone else does, there's a not insignificant chance of smashed up sheet metal.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

12 (edited by OnkelUdo 2022-03-21 04:22 AM)

aventari wrote:

Honestly it's a safety issue. If you don't get on it went everyone else does, there's a not insignificant chance of smashed up sheet metal.

Odd, not our experience.  We have our driver pick the right side of the track and run their own race until the first FCY which at agro races takes about 1-5 laps.  Racing the first hour of most 24 hours of Lemons race is not when we let newbies out...or the last hour on Sunday.  The first hour insanity has never made sense to me but it has proven to be consistent so it makes sense to at least a few dozen drivers...every single race.

I usually just go when a faster car buzzes past me if I don't notice.

If your drivers are accelerating directly into the back of a slow moving car, then maybe they need some help... I've never seen starting lap wrecking carnage, and I definitely see more passes and bunched up traffic in the first few hot lap than most of the rest of the day.

Most of the cars are spread out at the time the flag drops anyways, very few get bunched up right at the front.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Who's worried? We just didn't know the rules