Topic: Could use a helmet suggestion

I am looking for a recommendation regarding a sa2020 helmet. I currently  wear a HJC H70 in xl. The helmet fits almost perfectly but unfortunately pinches my forehead, causing numbness. It has become obvious the shell shape is not compatible with my head shape.

I have a long oval head, 24 1/4-24 1/2” circumference.

Unfortunately there really isn’t anyplace near me that has a wide variety of helmet types to check out. (Sonoma had a bunch of 2k-5k Stilo helmets, but I’m not Lewis Hamilton so pass.)

Just wondering if there are any other XL long oval folks here who might steer me towards some makes/models to check out,

Thanks

Re: Could use a helmet suggestion

I had the same issue with my old OMP helmet.After about an hour in the car,I would get  massive pain in the middle of my forehead.Replaced it with a Bell K1Pro and have not had any problems since.

I was able to go to a place in Petaluma and try it out,but they have since relocated to Idaho.
You may want to try  I-O Port Racing Supplies...They are in Lafayette ...call him first,he's a one-man show

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I had a hard time finding a helmet with a similarly shaped head.  I love my new Simpson Bandit

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

A link to my helmet shopping experience:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=40054

You may be able to order extra pads which can be inserted between a liner and the padding to more customize the fit.

It's reasonable to ask the vendor if they offer those even if not listed on a web site. I forget which vendor, but that was part of a discussion when I called for a return authorization for a helmet.

Thanks so much. I knew you guys would be able to steer me in the correct direction. I forgot to mention, I actually ordered and used a xxl head pad at the last race, because the forehead pad is removable. It helped a little, but still had quite a bit of pain. I’m certain the overall shell shape is wrong.

I will definitely see if I can find a K1 or Bandit to try. And thank you for the links/info.

I have an HJC AR10 III and have the same issue, too tight at the forehead. I've tried a buddies simpson on and loved the way it fit.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

I'm planning on ordering an Aria GP-5w.  (You can save $300 by ordering direct from Japan).  Aria is known for Oval heads.  They also make cheek pads in various widths.

duthehustle93 wrote:

I have an HJC AR10 III and have the same issue, too tight at the forehead. I've tried a buddies simpson on and loved the way it fit.

Funny, because when I was doing my research the AR10 andH70 we’re both recommended for more oval heads. When I first got the helmet, wore it around the house for about 20 min and it was awesome. After my first 1hour session at a race with it, knew it was a mistake.

Sounds like the leading candidates so far are
Simpson
Bell K1
Arai

Good thing is, seems like the recommendations here are consistent with the reviews I’ve read.

I’ve got emails out to Bell, and Simpson to see which models they recommend for long-oval heads.

The prior suggestion to swap around pads to avoid hot spots is a great one, and I’ll see what I can do to get different pad sizes thrown in.

How much longer have you worn it? FWIW, it's now usable and has broke into my head shape.. not as comfortable as a Simpson for me, but WAYY better than when I first bought it. Between track days and wearing it around the house in 30 minute sessions it maybe took ~10 hours to conform but it's honestly solid for a 2 hour stint now. Since you already own it, I'd be curious if it would also eventually conform.

Full Ass Racing

duthehustle93 wrote:

How much longer have you worn it? FWIW, it's now usable and has broke into my head shape.. not as comfortable as a Simpson for me, but WAYY better than when I first bought it. Between track days and wearing it around the house in 30 minute sessions it maybe took ~10 hours to conform but it's honestly solid for a 2 hour stint now. Since you already own it, I'd be curious if it would also eventually conform.

I was actually hoping the same thing. Who knows, maybe a few more hours would help.
2 races, plus about an hour around the house, So maybe a total of 8-9 hours. I swapped the head pad for a xxl, helped a little, but still pretty numb every time I remove it.

I’m fairly certain it’s not a size thing. I’m sure a xxl would fit a little better front to back, but then would for certain be too loose on the sides.

FWIW, I checked directly with Arai, who’s customer service was excellent. They actually told me they really didn’t have a helmet that fit my shape and size. According to them, I’m a xxl in their sizing, and the only xxl they currently sell is an open face.

Think I may be ordering both a Bell and Simpson, wearing both around the house, and sending the less comfortable back. Kind of would like to hear what the reps at both companies say. I did also email wine country Motorsports which is the one place within 100 miles of my house.

Between the advice here, talking to helmet reps and the people who sell them, I should be able to get close. Of course you just never know till you stick your melon in them.

Thanks much for the help.

Hmmm, I think I stopped getting "numb" by then, so you might be pushing your luck. I have a hard/thick skull and small brain, so perhaps that helped me not get numb and deform the helmet.

I've tried on a Bell open face at one point and it was the worst fitting helmet for me I've ever worn. An old co-worker of mine ran Bell and it fit him perfectly, but we had opposite head shapes. He had a square shaped head and mine is narrow at the jawline and gets bigger at the top. Wearing the bell, it was a bit tight on top and I could almost fit my hand between my cheeks and the helmet.

No problem!

Full Ass Racing

I have a lump on my head from hitting the floor in elementary school in addition to a long-oval head, but it was that lump that was the main issue fitting my racing helmet (not my Arai).

I peeled back the liner of my helmet and saw that the interior bulk was Styrofoam-like. I used the knuckle of my thumb and made a very shallow depression (in the large helmet I kept) to relieve pressure on my lump. That extended the contact patch of the helmet to the rest of my forehead; the pressure is now relatively uniform across my forehead as well as front-to-back. A little less firm side-to-side.

duthehustle93 wrote:

Hmmm, I think I stopped getting "numb" by then, so you might be pushing your luck. I have a hard/thick skull and small brain, so perhaps that helped me not get numb and deform the helmet.

I've tried on a Bell open face at one point and it was the worst fitting helmet for me I've ever worn. An old co-worker of mine ran Bell and it fit him perfectly, but we had opposite head shapes. He had a square shaped head and mine is narrow at the jawline and gets bigger at the top. Wearing the bell, it was a bit tight on top and I could almost fit my hand between my cheeks and the helmet.

No problem!

It’s interesting you mention issues with Bell. I wore a Bell open face motorcycle helmet for work for 6 years. Wore it 8-10 hours a day, and was the most comfortable helmet I ever wore.

I’m still having trouble deciding. Everyone I talk to and email says Arai. Except Arai. They emailed and said with my measurements, my head is “likely” a little too big for their helmets.(Kind of strange, I’m 24 1/4- 24 1/2.

Competition Motorsports recommended Arai, and Bell. (Of course they tried to steer me towards the 1k helmets.) But the advice was appreciated.

I may just end up ordering multiple helmets and sending back the losers.

I do kind of like Lemon-Newton-Metre’s suggestion to push in the front a little. But, I figure I’ll end up selling the HJC and don’t want to screw it up for the next guy.

Search continues.

Thanks for all the help, I’ll keep you posted.

(Maybe try the Zamp.)

Also, I found out the vendors' return shipping costs are much less than a private person's shopping costs - by a factor of up to 3x. I suggest use any vendor's return shipping label, or at least check costs first.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

(Maybe try the Zamp.)

Also, I found out the vendors' return shipping costs are much less than a private person's shopping costs - by a factor of up to 3x. I suggest use any vendor's return shipping label, or at least check costs first.

That’s a good call, especially if a coupe end up having to go back.

So I broke down and bought a Stilo ST5.1. It was literally 2x as much as I wanted to spend. But, Competition Motorsports had a good sales pitch. They agreed to take the whole helmet back if I didn’t like it, even with the custom add ons. (Top forced air, radio speakers)

They claim I can mix and match inside padding for an excellent fit. Told me to wear it for a bit, if any hot spots developed, call, and they’d send me replacement pads for free. (Same if too loose in any spots.) Only caveat is,you have to mail incorrect pads back at your expense.

Based on our discussion they also moved me up to a 2x cause I fell right on the Stilo line between xl and 2x.

For what this thing cost, I have very high expectations.

If it works out, I’ll have an almost new HJC H70 for sale at a reasonable price. And I’m cool shipping to a Lemons person. (If you have a head that falls somewhere between round and mid-oval, it’s a great helmet with a lot of features.

Please keep us posted! I've always been curious if the premium helmets are worth the extra $$.

Full Ass Racing

FWIW i picked up a Bell GP3 that was lightly used and it is fantastic.    Good helmets get pricey.

hkerekes wrote:

FWIW i picked up a Bell GP3 that was lightly used and it is fantastic.    Good helmets get pricey.

You’re on here too…you’re everywhere man. Lol….and you’re not wrong, overshot my budget by 2 1/2x.

Traffic22 wrote:
hkerekes wrote:

You’re on here too…you’re everywhere man. Lol….and you’re not wrong, overshot my budget by 2 1/2x.

Im literally everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the Stilo arrived. It fits pretty well. I spent an hour wearing it around the house. Tiny hot spot above the brows, but no numbness. I’m pretty sure the crown pad needs to be thicker to raise the helmet slightly, which will remove the pressure on the forehead. I’ll contact Competition Motorsports and get a thicker crown pad, and I’m pretty sure it’ll be perfect.

I feel comfortable saying if you have a long oval head, this should work for you. CS says Stilo runs a hair small, so you’ll for sure want to consult the size chart and considering ordering a size up.

Thank you to all who provided advice and help.

https://i.imgur.com/7e2kCVa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jXwt6dC.jpg

On a side note, my HJC is going to be posted for sale in the sale section.