Topic: First Time Racer - Comprehensive List - Help!

Hey All,

We are a first time endurance team and trying to put together list for us to work off of for the non-car items for the trip.  Please add items you think are 100% needed for the race weekend to go smooth.  What spare parts do you need?  As I see general category items, I will try to keep the list updated, if others want to use it as well.

Repairs and Refueling:
4+ Gas Cans (5+ Gallons Each) - 2 Speed Pours
2+ Fire Extinguishers
Refuel Catch Basins
Tools (some of every type, most battery powered)
Tool Battery Chargers
Speed Jack
4+ Jack Stands
Air Compressor (12V style)
Lights (Battery and 12V)
Mechanics Creeper
Knee Pads (aka cardboard)

Paddock Base Camp:
2+ Canopies 10x10 Type
Folding Tables
Camping Chairs (1 for each person)
Handwashing Soaps
Disposable Towels
Trashcans
Change of clothes, to non-race gear

Communication:
4 Radios
Pit Headsets
Driver Headsets
Spare Batteries
12V Converters
Spare Cellphone Chargers & Cables

Food & Drinks:
2+ Ice Chests (with ice)
Tons of Water Bottles
Gatorade
Ready Made Food (Granola Type Snacks)
Cooked Food (Brisket, Burgers, Hot Dogs)
Plates, Utensils, Servings/Cooking implements
Camping Grill (propane)

Spare Parts and Repairs:
Spare Wheel and Tire(s)
Replacement Brake Pads
Spark Plugs
Spare Bearings
Spare 12V Battery
2 Gallons Oil
Oil Filter and Changing Trays
Zip Ties
RTV
Electrical Tape
Connectors , Wire, and Crimping Tools
Spare Fluids (Brake, gear, power steering, grease, spray lubes, water)
Mobile Welding Equipment (wire/stick)
Welding Safety Equipment (helmet, gloves, aprons)

Thanks, and good luck!

Re: First Time Racer - Comprehensive List - Help!

Spare belt(s)
Fuses
Spare fuel filter

Good voltmeter for diagnosis (when shit goes south)

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

The Lemons Newcomers category has a sticky with comprehensive lists similar to yours, including one _very_ specific.

And as others have mentioned numerous times:

"several extra 10mm sockets"

Radios are not necessary for first time.  I would also recommend:

- Clock in car so driver knows when to come in when radios don't work
- Flag so driver can easily find you in hot pits
- At least 6 gas cans
- real racing brake pads, not store bought
- spare rotors
- spare fuel pumps if you can
- cat litter for spills
- spare wires, cap and rotor if applicable
- head gasket if that is a common failure point

and finally
- a good attitude and a great theme

Some of this stuff can be begged/borrowed at the track if you have a common car.  What are you bringing?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Mood lighting for your evening pleasure
Trash bags
Spring clamps
A couple of tarps to lay on, block wind, sun, rain

IMO, leave the creeper unless you know you'll be on concrete.
Work lights, flash light.
Wheeled conveyance is nice.
Flip flops for showering.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Head gasket. Always bring a head gasket. It turns out that even common racecars are uncommon at big box parts stores. Bring a head gasket.

You can sort of get away with reusing one if you have copper spray gasket, but it's not ideal. Even if it isn't a failure item, something will break that will require removing the head.

Any special tools. If you have a BMW with VANOS or some other car with overly complicated nonsense, bring the special tools to put it back together. Hondas have some kind of timing belt holding tool. VW diesels have injection pump timing tools. Porsche 944s have some kind of complicated thing for the timing belt. Whatever it is, if there is a special tool it costs around $150 on the internet, but will not exist on Saturday evening at any place you can get to.

That guy

7 (edited by fleming95 2022-03-18 12:52 AM)

Spare hood pins and a lug nut/stud or two.
Safety glasses.
Did you list torque wrench for lug nuts?
~24" breaker bar to get the hub nuts off if you need to change axles.

And know where a spare oil filler cap is.  Yes, it's surreal during an otherwise solid race to have the top half the oil filler cap in your hand and the other half in the valve cover.  Luckily Hondas are a dime a dozen, but YMMV...

I second the clock idea.  I don't care what budget or resources you have (think F1 and NASCAR) if you have a radio it will fail at the worst time.  We run radios, but also have a clock for a backup plan.  Yes, we've had to rely on that clock on more than one occasion.

Another handy item is pop-rivets and a pop-rivet gun.,  Between that, duct tape and zip ties, you can fix a lot of stuff.   Also handy is JB Weld and a spool of safety wire.

fleming95 wrote:

And know where a spare oil filler cap is.  Yes, it's surreal during an otherwise solid race to have the top half the oil filler cap in your hand and the other half in the valve cover.  Luckily Hondas are a dime a dozen, but YMMV...

We had that happen to us at the CMP 24 race.  We didn't have a spare, so I roamed the paddock until I saw a Honda (street car) and found it's owner.  Offered him $50 on the spot if he'd just lend it to us for the race!  He said he'd do it for free, just as long as we gave it back.  The Lemons crowd is the best!

After the race, I went on Ebay and bought a METAL oil filler cap.  No need for a spare really, but we have one anyway!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Noel_Alamo wrote:

Repairs and Refueling:
4+ Gas Cans (5+ Gallons Each) - 2 Speed Pours

I think you will find that (4) 5-gallon cans is not enough unless you like driving back and forth to the gas station a lot.  We have 10 cans total.   

Also do yourself a favor and rip that safety sh*t out of the Wal-mart-type cans.  The idea of a fuel can with no vent is beyond stupid.  I removd the safety features, and installed a pop open type vent like this in all our non-quick dump cans.  A large funnel like this to transfer fuel from the slow cans to your quick-fill cans is handy as well.

Captain

I didn't see a cart for your fuel jugs. Someone mentioned wheeled conveyance, but maybe he meant a pit bike...

We have a big list on a spreadsheet with columns for each person responsible to bring each item.

Our team is spread out from PA, VA, NC, KY, IN, FL,... So having it broken down to who brings what is really helpful.

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

Windshield cleaner in a aerosol can.  Comes in handy for quick window cleaning.  Pads or square boards for under the jack stands if your paddock area is soft.  One of those cheap laser temp thermometers can help solve a ton of debates from overheating to checking tire temps the quick and dirty way to checking wheel bearings on the trailer when stopping on the way to the race

Something else you didn't mention...PERSONAL RAIN GEAR!  I have a pair of rain pants, coat, shoes, and large trash bags I keep in my bag.  I also always bring an umbrella.

Even if there is zero chance of rain, bring it

Nothing is worse than being wet and miserable.

Captain

Spare Keys ..... It happens

Spare fuel cap - the chances of losing the fuel cap in all the confusion is pretty high

Cordoba

Jimmy wrote:

Spare Keys ..... It happens

Key?  For a RACE car?  Say it ain't so!  wink

We have a toggle switch for the ignition, and push button for the starter.

Captain

A few suggestions:

-a roll of aluminum tape
-a sheet of tin
-self tapping screws
-decent tin snips
-spare wheel studs
-extra cage foam
-action camera
-Costco cookies

You mention handwashing soaps - we set up a handwashing station consisting of a small aluminum table, a blue seven gallon water jug from Walmart, and a bottle of foaming hand soap.  Absolutely worth the effort. 

Also, you might try bringing a large water cooler and buying everyone on the team cheapo reusable water bottles for the weekend.  We do this and label the bottles with everyone's names.  Far less waste and I think the cost isn't much different in the end.

15 posts and not a single mention of beer?!?!

Easily the most important thing to bring for your team and for bartering. A cold 12 pack is a great trade item for a team loaning you tools, some hardware, parts, etc. Nobody has ever accepted cash for helping us out, but we've always gotten them to accept beer.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Spares electrical/wires and a soldering iron. They come in handy for any electrical issues.

Someone mentioned a cart. I used mine for moving fuel jugs down to the hot pit lane. Make sure you have one with tall sides, Red Flyer wagons and the such are a fuel spill waiting to happen.

Snacks! Track food is expensive and monotonous. Having snacks everyone will like makes it easy to get a little bit of energy.

Gatorade! Depending on the weather, it goes a long way to keeping you hydrated.

#22 Team Slowtus Ford Focus

VKZ24 wrote:

Something else you didn't mention...PERSONAL RAIN GEAR!  I have a pair of rain pants, coat, shoes, and large trash bags I keep in my bag.  I also always bring an umbrella.

Even if there is zero chance of rain, bring it

Nothing is worse than being wet and miserable.

I bring my rain gear, 2-3 pairs of shoes, and every pair of socks I can stuff into my luggage for race weekends. Some of the paddocks can turn into Guadalcanal after about 45 minutes of rain.

Also: ABT.

Always Bring Towels.

https://i.etsystatic.com/9980994/r/il/f980fe/1166380896/il_570xN.1166380896_b6ll.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

personal chef
<-------------

spare engine
spare trans

beer

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Probably late, but a spare car.  Im not kidding.  Especially for a new team...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!