Re: New people here with questions about car, theme, blah blah blah.

DeepBarney wrote:

Question for the veterans: does anyone camp out on these rallies (this one in particular)? There's a good chance I will in Moab just because I'm a tight-ass.

I spent two nights of the Retreat From Moscow sleeping in my car.  Well, one night was during the rally, and the other night was just after the rally ended.  I didn't bother to pre-book any hotel rooms because I wasn't sure how late my days would go, and it seems stupid to me to pay over a hundred dollars for four hours in a room.  I lucked out the first three nights with rooms available, didn't even bother finding a room in Myrtle Beach, and didn't try too hard to find a room after the rally ended.  Did I sleep?  Yes.  Was it comfortable?  Ehh.  But I made up for it by sleeping a full 8 hours on the way home at a Best Western while waiting for Shenandoah Valley traffic to clear out.

Also is there a way to add multiple quotes? I hate to clog a thread with a ton of response posts

I did that just to learn how to do it.  You can scroll through the thread below your response before you post it, copy the text you want to quote, hit the "quote" button above your edit box, and then paste the text you copied in between the quote commands.

puttcharlie wrote:
DeepBarney wrote:

Question for the veterans: does anyone camp out on these rallies (this one in particular)? There's a good chance I will in Moab just because I'm a tight-ass.

I spent two nights of the Retreat From Moscow sleeping in my car.  Well, one night was during the rally, and the other night was just after the rally ended.  I didn't bother to pre-book any hotel rooms because I wasn't sure how late my days would go, and it seems stupid to me to pay over a hundred dollars for four hours in a room.  I lucked out the first three nights with rooms available, didn't even bother finding a room in Myrtle Beach, and didn't try too hard to find a room after the rally ended.  Did I sleep?  Yes.  Was it comfortable?  Ehh.  But I made up for it by sleeping a full 8 hours on the way home at a Best Western while waiting for Shenandoah Valley traffic to clear out.

Also is there a way to add multiple quotes? I hate to clog a thread with a ton of response posts

I did that just to learn how to do it.  You can scroll through the thread below your response before you post it, copy the text you want to quote, hit the "quote" button above your edit box, and then paste the text you copied in between the quote commands.

I'm not new to sleeping in my car or in uncomfortable places (LAX has by far the worst floors btw). But, my brother and my buddies (if they wind up coming along) probably are more discerning than me. Guess it remains to be seen just how worn out we are

Also thanks for the multiquote tip. I see that now.

Do other team members/drivers need to be signed up on the 24hrs of Lemons site (not the forum) and registered/associated with the team?

DeepBarney wrote:

Do other team members/drivers need to be signed up on the 24hrs of Lemons site (not the forum) and registered/associated with the team?

Not an expert here (first-time Lemons Rally myself), but I think only the team signs up via its leader for the registration fee.  But there may be a place where we list our team, in case something goes wrong.  (Plus, there needs to be a waiver for anyone underage who is participating.)  I haven't yet registered, but I guess I'll see what happens when I do. 

Turns out I have a couple of really big work projects that I have going which I really should stay home to finish. Which also means that if I participate, I'll have to take my daily driver, vs. the older car I had planned on using.  (It burns oil, plus it needs a couple of electrical issues sorted. And that's before I would attempt any sort of theme. The weather hasn't cooperated either. Noice!)

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

I registered today for RMBD, once you register there is a way to add other people to your team. So when you do register, make sure to invite them to register  too.  Then the insurance company will be happy. And we all know it's all about the insurance company.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

Yeah, I registered late last night but didn't complete it fully since 1) I haven't paid yet and 2) I probably won't know which car I'm taking until the last minute.  I'm a team of one this time out--nobody else can take time off of work.

--Rudy

32 (edited by DeepBarney 2022-04-01 05:34 AM)

Good to know folks. Thanks.
I'm debating taking care of the intermittent charging issue the car still has, but otherwise we're ready to hit the road (well we also have to knockout the theme related stuff).

33 (edited by Despiracy 2022-04-13 01:38 PM)

mharrell wrote:
Despiracy wrote:

I really hope this is not a competitive rally where winning is the whole point.

As a Defending Rally Champion©®™ my point is to use the rallies as an excuse to drive places and see things I otherwise might not ever experience. I'm pretty sure the only reason our team racked up enough points to win one is that we were stupid enough to start the rally in a RHD belt-driven Dutch Volvo and, upon losing a belt, stubborn enough to limp home on the remaining belt for a vehicle swap in order to complete the rally in a RHD Austin Allegro. So, you know, a combination of pity points and a gnawing fear on the part of the organizers that we might very well be dangerously unhinged.

Despiracy wrote:

We just want to goof off and have a good time.

You've definitely found the right rally, then.

Despiracy wrote:

...I recommend eating at the Burger King. Just trust me on that one.

Yes, very definitely the right rally.

Guessing somebody has either been there before or googled the Burger King in Kayenta.

Just finished up the plans for the trip. Wife could not get time off at the hospital so I'm bringing my mother.

Flagstaff to Moab is going to be a long day for us. The CPR Mannequins are going to be dropped off at my old school and donated to the Navajo Mountain community so they can train all the students and as many in the community CPR (I have been granted permission by the community to do this). So we are giving our theme away and now have to bring brand new mannequins instead of junk ones. I believe this is a very worthy cause considering the remoteness of the Navajo Mountain community and the lack of resources they normally face. Then a stops as said Burger King (mom has never been in the MV area so has not seen the glory that is this Burger King), Forrest Gump point (I cant resist doing the "I'm pretty tired, I think Ill go home now" scene.), and then San Juan County School Board in Blanding (just so I can wave hello).  If we have time we will try to fit in any official checkpoints and the house on fire ruins.

Looking forward to seeing everybody there!

All my co-conspirators may be coming to their senses and backing out but I'll still be there. If'n anyone wants a break from their partner along the way, I'll have a spare seat. Lol

35 (edited by The Hooptie Garage 2022-04-15 08:02 PM)

I've paid my Rocky Mountain Breakdown dues, so I'm officially in it to (not) win it. I have a few minor things to do on the daily driver and I'll be leaving early Monday morning. I'm planning on a mostly non-driving day in Colorado on Wednesday, and will be at the pre-rally hangout. Already bought myself a variety of somewhat healthy junk food for Interstate travel, got the various camera batteries charging, and the parrots (or whatever they are) are ready to travel.

EDIT:

And the question I forgot to ask--where do we enter our Instagram information? I didn't see it on the team signup. Just a spot for the Web site.

--Rudy

36 (edited by squirrel 2022-04-15 10:04 PM)

you should have got an email from Eric Rood, asking about your instagram info...you have to reply to the email, with the info. It's one of those things that makes sure you're on your toes. Look through all the emails you got, see if you can find the well hidden request in one of them.

I'm as prepared as I'm gonna be...as if you can prepare to drive a 70 year old LBC on a thousands of miles trip.

see you there

37 (edited by The Hooptie Garage 2022-04-16 08:26 AM)

squirrel wrote:

.... see if you can find the well hidden request in one of them.

OK, found it "hidden" in the confirmation after I paid. All good here. 

squirrel wrote:

I'm as prepared as I'm gonna be...as if you can prepare to drive a 70 year old LBC on a thousands of miles trip.

see you there

Sadly I have to bring the daily driver, "El Borrego."  More suitable for long road trips; unsuitable for much of a theme.  Our weather up here has been so rotten that working on the older hooptie was impossible.

See you out there!

--Rudy

Well I'm EN ROUTE!!! My brother's (who decided he could make it) is now in the hot seat for the push from the KS/CO border to Denver where we'll pick up my buddy from the airport and head down to the suggested hotel in Castle Rock (probably rolling in to too late to make the pre-rally meet up at the bar).

Looking forwards to meeting y'all soon enough.

DeepBarney wrote:

We met, we rallied...a good time was had by all! A frozen time was had by one or two, though...

--Rudy

I resemble that remark

http://selectric.org/lemons22/summit.jpg

Yep, indeed!

https://i.imgur.com/eghfLtf.jpg

--Rudy

The Hooptie Garage wrote:
DeepBarney wrote:

We met, we rallied...a good time was had by all! A frozen time was had by one or two, though...

Yeah, I didn't enjoy our throttle sticking during the snow storm, but the heater worked a treat so I won't complain.

The Hooptie Garage wrote:

I'm a team of one this time out-

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much smile You’ve made me feel much more confident registering as a team of one piloting a very un-lemony Civic. How many points will be deducted for low mileage, frequent oil changes, and meticulous kept dealer-only service records?

I’ve been looking for a super fun way to get out, do some driving, and meet new people. Maybe I’ll see some of you at the Rustbelt Ramble!

amapan wrote:

How many points will be deducted for low mileage, frequent oil changes, and meticulous kept dealer-only service records?

Bribes help, although I didn't use any myself. On the Great River Road rally, I was -50 points for a Japanese car, but some points added back due to the history I've had with it.  Not sure if I got anything for the vinyl graphics, although I was a bit pissed because they didn't apply as smoothly as I would have liked.

If I do the Rust Belt Ramble and/or Fall Fail-iage this year, I might use the Civic again.  (I'm half-heartedly looking for a cheaper project car, but the economy being what it is, I've cut out unnecessary spending.)  My youngest might do RBR with me, and I thought of using her car (Acura TSX) with a video game theme that we both like, since the vinyl graphics will stand out on the black paint.  I'm taking my daily driver for the Rocky Mountain Breakdown--I'm heading straight to Moab once the rally is over for exploring more of the BLM roads and hiking out to a few arches, which I haven't done since 2019.

If you bring a daily driver, a good theme (applied heavily, whether it's decorating the car, dressing/playing the part, etc.) will win more points. Probably won't win anything for top points, but hitting all the checkpoints and doing some of the bonus activities (the "Find It" or "random acts of stupidity") will land you solidly in the middle of the pack.

Going solo, there is less time available, so I have to choose between checkpoints vs. other activities.  My evenings are spent plotting out the next day's route.

I do it mainly because I like road trips especially if they are off the beaten path, and I like history, architecture and roadside attractions. If that's your thing, any Lemons rally is worth doing.

--Rudy

I bet if you dress the car up as a horse drawn wagon, you might get a few extra points. Think Wagon Train the old TV show.

46 (edited by The Hooptie Garage 2023-02-27 08:31 AM)

squirrel wrote:

I bet if you dress the car up as a horse drawn wagon, you might get a few extra points. Think Wagon Train the old TV show.

My daily (the one I brought to Rocky Mtn) is nicknamed El Borrego, roughly translated as bighorn sheep.  (The paint color is Borrego Beige Metallic, hence the name...plus, it has traveled many mountains since I purchased it.)  I haven't figured out how to attach the horns to the hood yet.  big_smile

--Rudy

47 (edited by puttcharlie 2023-04-19 04:47 AM)

amapan wrote:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much smile You’ve made me feel much more confident registering as a team of one piloting a very un-lemony Civic. How many points will be deducted for low mileage, frequent oil changes, and meticulous kept dealer-only service records?

I’ve been looking for a super fun way to get out, do some driving, and meet new people. Maybe I’ll see some of you at the Rustbelt Ramble!

Japanese cars incur a 50-point loss, but that didn't stop me from bringing my Subaru Baja twice, because it's a Subaru Baja.  That's no matter at all, though, if your goal is just to see cool stuff and have fun.  That's what the rally is really about.  The points don't matter.  Get out, drive your car (junk or not) and have fun.  And see stuff.  I love doing it and ain't gonna stop doing it any time soon.

As long as I don't mess something up, I will be at either Rust Belt Ramble or Fall Failage.  So if I end up at the former, I'll see you there.  And hopefully I'll finish the damn thing this time.