Re: Anyone to waste time on DIY engine control unit?

Awesome!  What sensors and features have you built in support for?

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

the shaolin wrote:

Awesome!  What sensors and features have you built in support for?

I'd say this ECU is in the 90s - all the basics are covered, but no electronic throttle, no self learning and no build-in wideband controller. knock detection is kind of there but not totally proven.

We are aware of 18 engines that have been started with rusEFI. So far every engine seems almost completely different from any other. It has varied from a high rev 2 stroke single cyl, to a 4 stroke V8 truck motor. They have pretty much all used a different crank wheel decoder. Wasted spark, distributor and sequential spark have been operational. As well as MAF (Alpha-N) and MAP (Speed Density) typologies have been operational. Numbers of cylinders run in a single engine: 1, 4, 6 and 8

i'm running my own 2nd gen chassis controller, installed in my Rambler Roadster. it does everything *except* timing and fuel -- i have a Weber 32/36 carb, and EDIS-6 ignition controlled by a Megajolt Lite Jr.

it's partitioned into chassis controller and interface controller. it works, now, realtime control, error checking, inter-processor communication, reset recovery, gauge (sensor) processing and decision-making, full lighting control ("single filament" large LED tail and nose lights, separate headlight circuit).

at some point i'll handle EDIS PIP/SAW and set the MJPJ aside, but i've had it for some time and it's working. and i plan a TBI FI system. no schedule for that.

the hardware and software both are designed for drop-dead reliability and realtime operation. i'm currently assembling a 3rd-gen chassis controller, increased conservatism in the design and redesigned electrically and physically. multiple internal thermal sensors and thermal strategies. load-dump resistant, etc.

it's in use now. rock solid. code on github.

hardware is designed around Arduino MEGA 2560. software is a cooperative multitasking strategy, about 10% or less CPU utilization. plenty of headroom for EDIS and FI. code uses the (awful) Arduino IDE simply because it's ubiquitous.

the code sorta-kinda-almost adheres to some of the MISRA-C:2004 coding standard for embedded control.  not the testing and institutional part, but the C and C++ code methodologies.

most recent feature set is closed-loop cooling system using an electric pump, which turns out to be more complex that it seems it ought to be!

haven't quite got around to putting tech info up on my project website, but i will if bugged.

the code is partially described at http://sensitiveresearch.com/1961-Rambl … index.html . scroll down to the software description (states and such). i'm not using that LED-heavy panel, i've moved to a very tiny box at the wheel.

the github links are on that page.

the reason for the lack of web docs is that i need to first get across the idea of cooperative multitasking. too many folk get bogged down in looking for realtime OSs for embedded controllers without really considering the overall strategy and problem-solving approach. that, plus the messaging scheme are key here. if anyone cares i'll gladly help out.

as far as the EFI part goes, the crappy 16MHz Atmel processor has more than enough guts to run the fuel calcs in realtime, coded in portable C/C++, project done on the IDE. the solution is understanding the problem thoroughly, planning out the approach and not brute force it.

Guildenstern wrote:

COOOOOOL you got this working!!!

It works all right. Ride along with Mr rusEFI himself at NJMP. Car ran great all weekend.

https://youtu.be/OzMfmIt4thw

SWEET!!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Can second that the rusEFI was a big success and a great conversation piece all weekend in the garage area (along with the rest of the car)...without the mechanical issues we had car would have placed much better and with zero hiccups...

#33 Ford Festiva - Team Emoticons

https://www.facebook.com/TeamEmoticons33/ did it again! Second Lemons race on rusEfi.

I kind of need to start using my own ECU as well...

Anybody play with any of the megasqurit stuff?

addict#52 wrote:

megasqurit

blasphemy. turbo taxi did it and look how it ended!
(PS: actually MS was not at fault, just kidding)

russian wrote:
addict#52 wrote:

megasqurit

turbo taxi did it and look how it ended!

*looks over at the former Turbo Taxi megasquirt sitting on shelf*
*hopes it isn't cursed*

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

russian wrote:
addict#52 wrote:

megasqurit

blasphemy. turbo taxi did it and look how it ended!
(PS: actually MS was not at fault, just kidding)

Sorry didn't know this was a brand specific thread...

I love this project!

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I have a question:

I don't know if you're familiar with old euro cars like VW's, Volvos, MBs, Porsches, etc but they have mechanical Bosch continuous fuel injection. The twist is that on the later models, there's a "frequency valve" that gives the primitive ECU a small degree of control over the mixture based on o2 sensor input.

The frequency valve is PWM like an efi injector.

What I've always wanted was a programmable controller for this frequency valve. Would RusEFI be overkill for this application? Is there a simple Arduino demo board I could get that I could start a project to control this?

Basically the inputs are RPM, o2 sensor, vacuum/boost, coolant temp, and a TPS (or full throttle switch) and output would just be one PWM injector.

I know you're thinking "JUST GO EFI" -- but I live in California, land of the mobile smog tests and random police popping your hood looking for modifications, so I need to keep it close to stock.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

aventari wrote:

Basically the inputs are RPM, o2 sensor, vacuum/boost, coolant temp, and a TPS (or full throttle switch) and output would just be one PWM injector.

rusEfi allows this via http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title= … ible_Logic

RPM is the trickiest input of the above mentioned: first you have the challenge of analog part in case of VR signal (hall signal much easier) than you have the trigger decoding code. If you are interested in an Arduino-based ECU check out http://speeduino.com/ - I believe their board is around $100 same as rusEfi Frankenstein

Does your ECU bother you? Do you want to be friends?

Or maybe you have a 5, 10 or 12 cylinder gasoline engine and you want to be friends? I would love to help someone run rusefi first 5 cylinder or rusefi first 9+ cylinder. Maybe your want to add some reliability into your Jaguar?

Here's a 3-cylinder two-stroke engine running rusefi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1XsGOUKKp0

Might be looking for this to move away from CSI-E on my Dictatormobile ( Mercedes 560SEL).  Just repairing the vac leaks could end up costing a few hundred so been looking at Megasquirt before this popped back up.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Might be looking for this to move away from CSI-E on my Dictatormobile ( Mercedes 560SEL).  Just repairing the vac leaks could end up costing a few hundred so been looking at Megasquirt before this popped back up.

Let's be friends! Here or FB or email or phone smile

Is it W126? is it Lemons or daily or just for joy?

https://motoiq.com/rusefi-diy-open-sour … -your-car/

I love your project man, I remember when you first started!

I'm building a sensor data logger with BLE output with an Arduino nano 33 BLE right now, I have a few questions about filtering and hooking up to noisy electronics, could I ask you a few questions? I'm a software guy with very little EE knowledge

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

Same story here - I'm a software guy with very little EE knowledge. A few smart EE people on rusEFI slack see https://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1198

I own that car now!!!

The rusefi is gone as is the motor.

The rest is in the same condition (with a few dings)

it is getting a 2.5 v6 (I WILL FINISH IT THIS YEAR!!!!)

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced