Topic: 427 on Southern Fried Heaps

I would like to thank everyone for their friendly hospitality during our third Lemons rally.  As is our tradition, we managed to take our third completely inappropriate car.  While not really a lemon, it is yellow. It also is as uncomfortable and unreliable as many of the entries.  Adding to our fun, we never passed a gas station while burning through more fuel than most, all while gas prices passed $5 per gallon.  The best part of returning home, was finally taking off the costumes that we had been fermenting in for 3 days.

Driving my 427 for 2100 miles was an absolute bucket list dream for me.  With no a/c, no heat and a barely usable top that didn't seal, the drive was everything I had hoped for and more.  It was also a great way to test my marriage!

Thanks again, and if anyone has any photos or videos of us from the rally, please attach some links.

Cory

2 (edited by squirrel 2022-03-23 09:25 PM)

Re: 427 on Southern Fried Heaps

congrats!

I drove my blown 427 altered wheelbase Chevy II to/on/from drag week last September, it was about 5500 miles overall. I've been thinking it would be fun to take it on a rally, but haven't had the gumption yet. Great to see someone else doing something that stupid  smile

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

@squirrel, have you ever thought of doing the Hot Rod Power Tour in that rig?

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

I’ve done the powertour, but not in the 427.  Powertour always seems to pick the hottest route during the hottest time of year.  Also, we enjoy the Lemons crowd more.

The Power Tour is a lot larger too, from what I've seen.  A different kind of fun, but also a little more anonymous being in such a large group.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

I did two Power Tours in my 55, with a similar blown 454...but it was a nice handling comfortable car (only ran low 11s). 1997 wasn't so big, 2004 was huge, lots of cars.

Drag week is a lot more fun.

Rallys are a lot more fun.

(yeah, I like fixing things)

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

It's been fun running rallies with you and watching you run SFH.  I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again at this year's RBR and (hopefully) Great River Road, and following along on whatever other rallies you do.  And if my most recent facebook find results in an acquisition, y'all are gonna enjoy what I bring for RBR.  It may not win the rally, but I'm sure it's gonna be a bit of a crowd pleaser.